How to best handle being asked to change paid-for flight seats?

I completely understand unforeseen circumstances and am normally completely fine to help when I can. I have an odd pairing of Hero Complex (fighting for the ones who have no voices themselves) and people pleasing/teacher’s pet. It’s unpleasant at best when those two sides conflict.

Had it been any other flight, or any other arrangement I wouldn’t have even said no. I would have absolutely suffered silently. But that was a middle transition in an already taxing trip that already included me changing hotels last minute and dealing with upset in-laws (see people pleasing). And a little of my own bias, btw. The family asking me to move had a purse which cost more than twice what I paid for my car (3 cars, or 20 years ago) and he had a matching LV track suit.

Jealousy aside, I was upset that the stewardess tried to pull on my mom heartstrings and was visually frustrated when that didn’t work, especially when the gentleman ahead of me did not get the same speech. I WAS the weak one that they knew they could get to move and I did feel singled out.

All this to say that I agree. There is always a story, on both sides.

On another note…we are finally trying JSX for our next DLR trip. My fear of small planes is pretty intense, but I can’t imagine it being much worse than what security (intense fear of authority figures)/boarding/flying/driving already is.

You know? I just don’t like leaving my development. If Disney could just build parks within walking distance to my house I would very much apprech.

7 Likes

Even for the best planned trip, there may be reasons beyond their control such that young children are not seated with their parents.

When I first read your post, I got angry. It reminded me about a good friend telling me that they got a steal of a deal going to MCO. But they were all middle seats scattered around the plane. She was hoping a kind soul would be willing to trade such that her 4 year old wouldn’t have to sit alone. I thought that was selfish. I think if I was ever asked to change seats, what my friend did would fill my mind and I would say, “No.” But I would honestly still feel guilty!

But even the best planned flights have seating issues. You have plenty of good ideas here on how to say “No.”

3 Likes

Wait, I thought they were? Especially on paid-seat flights? Cause they’re all sorts of different prices.

1 Like

Are you sure the families had paid for the seats? Because when you select them, you know that you’re not going to be together if that’s the case.

When I’ve seen it happen is when there are a lot of stand-bys who are being accommodated, often in the extra pay seats that are unused. I’ve been on a flight (JetBlue - but they now cross-book with American) where I had a seat in the front part of the even more space section and in the gate area I got paged to the desk. There was a mom and an under-16 kid who were stand-by and there were seats available for them, but one was next to me and one was in the exit row, which the kid could not sit (and mom didn’t want the kid sitting alone). They asked if I’d be willing to change (luckily it was not the middle seat or I would have said no), and I agreed - it was still an even more space seat. The gate agent pulled one of the flight attendants to the side as they were boarding and pointed me out and said to give me whatever drink(s) I wanted for being so cooperative.

Mainly just saying it’s not always that they bought the seats but had them assigned .

1 Like

And just to add to my last (I know…I could have edited…LOL), I do heavily judge if it is clear they bought the seats knowing they would be split - like when I hear them at the desk saying “we knew they weren’t together, but…” and you can bet then I’m not going to be nice and volunteer to move - especially if there were plenty of together seats further back in the plane. Because in that case they HAD a choice.

3 Likes

In my case I assumed that the family just took whatever was available to they could all be in first, then pressure whomever was next to them to switch using the kids as an excuse instead of taking available 2 pair seats in coach, or one set in coach one in first.

This was a family who was directly behind me in line for boarding so they knew ahead of time that the seats were not together. I had also heard them talking about how excited they were to be getting to the parks, so it was a vacation and not someone coming home from one. They also never said one word about not being seated together. I’m nosey. I overhear a lot. If they knew they didn’t have seats together, why didn’t they talk to the desk prior to boarding to entice others to switch?

(not attacking or defending btw…this is a voice I use over coffee with a friend, not the voice I use when frustrated with random’s assuming others will bend over for them)

1 Like

We were typing at the same time!

1 Like

I line up on average 30 minutes early so we can take turns running to get snacks/drinks/RR breaks, they were behind me the entire time.

1 Like

Gotcha. Stand-by can happen going as well, but gotcha.

Yeah, when they have intentionally done it I am far less likely to be willing to move. Especially as I’ve usually found they have strategically purchased all middle seats. BIG TIME NOPE on that one.

1 Like

Me too. What I found happened to me a lot was that people would buy “Basic Economy” on United as it’s cheaper. Part of why it was cheaper as there are no assigned seats. I don’t know why United would sell this ticket type for children at all!

This whole thing makes me so upset for you. I sometimes get upgraded due to status and I always discuss with my family that if we get two upgrades, you’ll have to sit next to a stranger. If whoever I’m with isn’t comfortable, I decline the upgrade chance at check in.

If you didn’t write the airline about it at the time, I hope you will consider doing so now. It’s good for them to have the feedback and it will give them a chance to try to make it up to you.

7 Likes

I agree 100%!! Pretty sure American has a similar tier - and I know JetBlue does. I feel like it should have a warning like Single Rider - your party can and will be split up when seats are assigned. And you have to agree to it when you book that rate.

4 Likes

This happened to me the night before flying out once. I spent 4 hours on the phone only to find it was a computer “glitch” they couldn’t change, leaving my DD6 to sit by herself in the back of the plane. Thankfully, someone agreed to switch seats with her.
It was an extremely stressful situation on my part.

4 Likes

So if you had hubby on 1 side, DS on the other, how exactly did moving you get this child next to their parent? Something seems seriously amiss here.

It’s also annoying af that she pushed you on moving, but not the first guy she asked. And I agree I’m sure there was some upgraded guest in first that should have been moved vs a full fare customer.

1 Like

Anyone else thinking …If DH thinks it’s not a big deal to move seats, he should have moved and let you sit with DS.

6 Likes

DH and DS were on one side, I was aisle on the other so I could reach across and throttle the hand of DH if needed. I ended up in a window one row up because the guy directly ahead of me refused to change his seat.

The guy in front of my aisle was next to one of the girls. The dad, who was supposed to be next to me in the back row wanted to switch with guy in front of me so the 4 could be directly behind each other.

He wouldn’t so I had to switch my aisle for the window so I could sit next to the guy who refused to move and mother/daughter was in front of me and father/daughter ended up in my original seat behind me.

By the end of the flight I was smiling and waving at the girls and making the one behind me laugh with the Mickey laugh on my Apple Watch, but I still ended up crying because I’m a hot mess of anxiety,

4 Likes

I just think they shouldn’t be pressuring anyone to move seats. DS might have wanted to sit by DH. If no one volunteers in first class, move on to ask economy. Im sure there will be a party of 2 willing to split up to be in first class.

3 Likes

I think they should somehow have flags in the system that don’t allow seats with children in the party to be separated from an adult. Surely we have computers that can figure this out, but as a parent of a minor, my biggest fear is them sitting alone and being assaulted on a flight, and not understanding what is happening.

8 Likes

You want skynet?! Cause that’s how you get skynet!

(That is not how you get skynet)

6 Likes

I thought my phone was already run on skynet. It certainly is listening and adapting…

4 Likes

This is 100% it. They can do this. They just aren’t.

4 Likes