How Far Away Can You Be to get a Boarding Group. ALSO... Park Arrival Times?

I’m sorry if this question has already been asked somewhere. But our trip to WDW is next week and I’ve been on a hiatus from the forum for a while now! I see that the Boarding Group join times for ROTR are at 7am and 1pm. However, park doesn’t open until 9am. I planned on being there an hour before anyway, but that’s obviously well past the first BG time. How far away can you be to get a BG? We’re staying off-site, about 20 min. drive. I don’t want to risk not getting a BG bc of distance. Or is it that you just have to have a ticket and reservation for that day?

Secondly, I haven’t seen any definitive (I use this term loosely) times that they open up the parking lots to people that are driving into the World. Is arriving one hour before park opening enough time? Hour and a half? Or is that too early? We’re doing all 4 parks. And I know there’s no “rule” about that, just want to know your personal experiences. Thanks!

1 Like

You only need.a park reservation for DHS to try for a BG at 7am.

Testing has shown it’s possible from other States, so 20 mins away isn’t a problem. For the 1pm drop, you need to have a park reservation for DHS and to have tapped into DHS that day. You don’t need to still be in the park at 1pm to try.

Parking lots are opening about an hour before park opening. Any earlier and you’ll be turned away, they won’t let you queue up.

2 Likes

At least as far as NH :smiley:

5 Likes

Thank you so much! This was exactly the information I needed :grinning:

1 Like

Wow, I’ve been away from the forum for a while… so you no longer need to have tapped into the park (like last year) to get a BG? We can actually do this from the resort? :smiley:

1 Like

You don’t! You need only have a park reservation for that day. You go into MDE just before 7am and you slam the buttons like mad at 6:59:59.

4 Likes

Go here for more info:

4 Likes

What a perfect illustration! :joy:

4 Likes

Thanks everyone!

1 Like