Hotel Choices

We stayed at Castle on our last trip (2019) and it was great! Clean and comfy, although the decor was a bit dark. I’d rather stay there and walk if it was me.

3 Likes

I’m 100% pro-proximity. The Tropicana was perfect for us - cheap, clean, and very very close :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tropicana is like $700 more than the Castle though and I don’t think that’s really worth it to be half a block closer. That’s kinda why I think I’ve settled on either Castle or PPH.

1 Like

I vote PPH! :blush::heart: The extra you will pay will totally be worth the hassle of a split stay. And with all the craziness in this world we deserve to treat ourselves :rofl::rofl::heart::heart:

1 Like

I think you may be right! And this is my 40th birthday present coast to coast trip so why not splurge on myself? I’m just such a reasonable person generally so the 3 times price is a bit of a gut punch.

Eta: do you think it would be wise to book the room and tickets separately one the chance they release a discount for the rooms?

2 Likes

I too would book PPH. I usually stay across Harbor, but for a special one time trip, stay onsite.
I would book the room separate from the tickets in case of a room discount. Get your tickets from Undercover Tourist to save some bucks. They have excellent customer service which keeps me going back to them year after year.
When is your trip west?

3 Likes

Day after Thanksgiving. This will be my 2nd trip there with the first being in 2018. I definitely don’t see myself going out there more frequently than every few years so I do want to make sure it’s a good trip.

Do you have any equivalent WDW walking distance between PPH and the esplande? Like CR to MK maybe? Or YC to IG?

2 Likes

It’s about 1/2 mile, so same as from the Dolphin to the IG according to google maps. Is the Disneyland Hotel an option for you? It is where I think of when staying onsite at DLR. I love all the little details there, and it usually isn’t too much more than PPH.
The beauty of walking in Cali vs FL, no humidity and it won’t be hot at all in late November.

2 Likes

I really liked Hotel Lulu when I was there in February.

2 Likes

PPH is already well past my usual budget (nearly double) and DLH is another $140/night. I’m really fighting trying to justify PPH so DLH is a definite no for this trip. Unless I find my long lost wealthy uncle prince from Africa and he gives me my inheritance early :rofl:

3 Likes

That hotel does look cute, but I definitely want to stay on the DL side of Katella this trip.

1 Like

I get an email a week from mine, hopefully you will too! :rofl:

1 Like

Has anyone ever stayed at the Anaheim Maingate Inn? Is it close, and is it worth the cheap price to stay there?

1 Like

Not me. My go to is Grand Legacy at the Park, but I have also stayed at Desert Inn, the Fairfield Inn, the Anaheim Hotel, and the Castle Inn once many years ago. The Maingate is too far in my opinion, and is rated #124 out of 128 Anaheim hotels on Trip Advisor. I would avoid just because of that, and this shows me all I need to know.

There are many better options.

4 Likes

Thank you! I went only once about ten years ago, and stayed at one that was maybe a ten minute walk, but cannot remember which one it was! It was across the street, and next to I believe, an ihop and a McDonalds.

With the new Avengers Campus open, I was playing around loosely with a possible trip in the spring.

I don’t want to break the bank, but also know most likely it should be a safe hotel within walking distance because I don’t think I’ll need a car.

3 Likes

Looking at pictures of hotels, I think it was Anaheim Camelot Inn.

2 Likes

That is by the McDs and a much better choice than the other one. I forgot earlier, have stayed there twice as well. It’s perfectly acceptable. The Tropicana is their sister hotel and it is usually the same price as the Camelot, but even closer to the parks.

2 Likes

Oooh, good to know! Thank you!

3 Likes

You are welcome. The best thing you can do for DL area hotels is book as far in advance as possible. They all creep their prices up higher and higher the closer you get to your dates. Book early (refundable) and keep looking. I booked for September many months ago, and most of the close hotels are either sold out now, or twice the price they were months ago.

4 Likes

Thank you! This is very helpful to me, keep the tips coming!

3 Likes