Hot ButterBeer

Is this drink available year-round? Or only during “winter”?

It’s my husband’s favorite drink at Universal. We were going to do 1 day at Universal this January during our WDW trip, but then decided to just do a Universal-only trip in May.

I read somewhere that the hot version is seasonal… but maybe it has since become a year-round item?

It is a seasonal item in Orlando and a year-round item in Hollywood.

I’m not sure when the hot Butterbeer “season” ends. (I know it starts in August right before HHN starts)

Thanks for the quick reply… sad that Orlando can’ have it year-round too.

1 Like

I’ve wondered the same. Maybe it’s because LA doesn’t have real weather “seasons” so it feels like winter even in April! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

It’s too bad it’s your husband’s favorite, but if he hasn’t tried frozen I have to say I much prefer it to hot anyway.

1 Like

Controversial opinion - I don’t like Butterbeer… I wish it wasn’t carbonated. It would be fine if it didn’t have that added.

On the plus side, this conversation made me want Pumpkin Juice. IMHO it’s probably the best pumpkin flavored item anywhere. I Googled if I could buy any. It turns out you can! I have a 4 pack coming from Universal Orlando in the next 3 days - just in time for Thanksgiving!!

4 Likes

I was set on trying out all versions of Butterbeer on my first WWoHP trip in June 2017, but hot was out-of-season.

I’m not sure about May. I was actually there last May, but didn’t think to order it (it was really hot out).

1 Like

Yeah, I have a feeling it won’t be available in May. But we’ll ask when we’re there anyway.

This must be variable. I was told it becomes available in October.

1 Like

Opps! I was going by photos on my Twitter feed. I did actual research and it looks like you are correct. It came back during the first week or so of October.

2 Likes

Had it on 20th October, just to confirm. It’s even sweeter than the regular kind. There’s always fudge, ice cream or potted cream if you don’t like fizz…

1 Like

I’ve had them all. I don’t love any of them. Ice cream was “ok”. I know… it’s weird. I really want to like it.

I’m a big fan of the frozen and the hot. I find the ice cream and the regular to be so-so. The fudge and potted cream sound nasty.

1 Like

The potted cream is the worst by far. The fudge, as you can guess, is very intense.

Fudge is quite nice, but I found it less butterbeer-y -but still more so than the ice cream. I also prefer the hot and frozen ones and find the ice-cream very meh. Haven’t tried the potted cream yet.

1 Like

The frozen is a must-have for me whenever I go. I haven’t tried the hot but it’s included as free in the event I’m going to so I’ll definitely try it then.

4 Likes

We were told last week that (in Orlando, in Diagon Alley) you can only get the hot one at the Leaky Cauldron. I would have tried a hot one if I hadn’t had to go back into the restaurant (long after we were done) and wait for it. Does anyone know if you can just go in and get one or do you need to be seated?

I am guessing you can just order one and wait for it. I imagine they won’t make you sit to enjoy it.

From what I remember, there’s a side part of the Leaky Cauldron where you can get drinks.