Help - I need advise

Help! Can anyone advise me…

We are purchasing DVC and I was wanting to cancel a reservation I have with Disney for May 2015 so that I could use my DVC points. Will Disney give us back our deposit?

But most importantly, will I lose anything that I have worked on such as ADR’s? My 180 days comes on Nov 1st and our DVC sale won’t be complete by then.

Is there anyone out there that has had experience with getting a refund from Disney not a postponement? Or switching resorts when you have ADR’s attached to the cancelled reservation.

Congratulations on buying DVC. You are way outside the cancellation period so there should be no issue getting a full refund.

I’m not sure how the ADR thing will work. I don’t see how there would be a problem with it because you have to put a credit card on the reservation but someone else might know better.

1 Like

Thanks!!! It’s all coming together so quickly my head is spinning :slight_smile:

My husband and I have been “batting” around the DVC idea (and researching) for about a year and once we finally decided on it was smooth sailing. We are buying resale so now we wait till we hear back from Disney on the RoFR.

My sister and I have been planning a sister only trip in May and her brains are going to fall out of her head when we pull up to a DVC resort instead of All Star Movies! Boy I think I should get sister of the year!

I tried to buy DVC resale once several years ago but my DH refused to sign the contract. He thinks it is not a good investment and since we live 90 kinutes away we would not be able to get rooms on the spur of the moment like we need to. I have stayed in all DVC places except the Grand Flridian (can’t wait to do that) and the best part is getting a 1 or 2 bedroom and just having space to spread out and have silence and personal space. The first time we got a 2 bedroom I baked cookies because the Dvc commercial always shows that.

4 Likes

I"m not a DVC member, I rent points and have only stayed in studios, but I want to do that as well if I ever stay in a DVC room with a full kitchen…and I hardly ever eat cookies.

2 Likes

I’ve run into some really good rental deals and some really good friends have gifted us. The treehouse was awesome too! I really don’t like Kidani though, except for community hall and parking underground.

I believe you will not lose your ADR’s even if you cancel your reservation. They are independent of your reservation. Anyone can book ADR’s at WDW 180 days in advance. You don’t need a resort stay. The thing your reservation does do is give you ADR +10, meaning you can book ADR’s for up to 10 days of your trip. So I would wait until after those days have passed before canceling your room reservation. You are still well with in your cancellation time. I’d like to have someone else chime in, but have talked this over with more than one CM and I was assured that if I cancelled a reservation and booked another one, the ADR’s would not change. (Which also means, don’t forget to cancel them separately if you need to. Or else you will be charged the $10 per head no show fee!)

3 Likes

ADRs are independent of your resort - everyone can make ressies 180 days out - staying onsite gives you 10 more days
You get your deposit back - you just cancel and they credit your card back

3 Likes

@MagicMN has chimed in and she is a Disney ninja and knows everything about resort stays! :slight_smile: Sounds like you are good to go!

1 Like

I’ll be sure to pass that along to my son, “Your mom is a Disney ninja” he’s never going to buy it.

And if you ever forget to cancel and you get a CM who is not friendly enough to just waive the fee, rebook it for waaaaaay in the future when there is for sure an opening. And then cancel it. I’ve also never incurred a fee if you are in the parks and politely swing through the restaurant and let them know the ressie time is not going to work out for you.

HOW EXCITING to buy DVC! On a much smaller scale, it’s got to feel like when you stock up on TP, paper towels and laundry detergent at Target - everything is refilled, full, stocked. It’s the feeling of richness through abundance. How exciting - congratulations!!!

3 Likes

I thought I was the only person who felt rich when I have a fully stocked paper goods pantry!

4 Likes

At least 45 days in advance you can get a refund. Wait your within 180 of your last day and you won’t lose any adrs as they aren’t attached to your res. In fact you might wait till the dvc deal is fine to make sure there is avail to get a room with your points.

And now I feel like a total derp for not seeing all the other replies before I responded lol.

1 Like

A closet full of TP is the world’s greatest feeling. That and getting the first scoop in a new jar of creamy peanut butter!

3 Likes

Costco is the my favorite place. Provider of security and abundance!

1 Like

And having back up jar in the cupboard too!

1 Like

We had to cancel our trip in August (couldn’t reschedule because 2015 was not open yet). We had already paid for the entire trip. We had no issues getting our money back. It went right back on our card. And I had to manually go in and cancel ADR so those should stay also.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! So sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip :frowning: I hope you have another trip in the works soon!

2 Likes

We do. We will be there for Spring Break :smile:

1 Like

Oh awesome!!! It will be here before you know it :slight_smile:

1 Like