Help Blast go to CP!

Ok liners, I’ve done some reading and I know I’m picking a very VERY busy time to go…but it looks like Oct 3-6 is my chance. My goal would be to ride 80% of the coasters over two days.

Plan would be for going to the park all day Friday and Saturday.

I’m weighing the options of staying on site for being able to avoid the whole driving and parking thing (Breakers) and early entry. I see the list for early entry is not impressive. I do like minimizing travel time though.

I’m planning Fast Lane Plus for one or both days.

My questions so far:

1. If planning for worst case scenario crowd levels, for a regular park open time of 11 am, when should we arrive if driving, assuming we want to be at the front of the crowd at park open?

2. Is there any difference in the time it takes to park depending on whether you’re a CP hotel guest versus offsite? If we stay off site we’ll have purchased parking ahead with our tickets.

3. Conversely, if staying on site at Breakers and eligible for early entry at 10 am, what’s the suggested timeline? Is there any “sweet spot” aka arriving around 10:30 am that helps us avoid backups at the gate? I realize that answer may be absolutely no because it’s an October weekend.

1 Like

Tagging @Enchantedbythemouse, @Nikkipoooo and @Flavita

I think they all have Cedar Point experience :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think @Nikkipoooo may have more experience than any of us, but @Flavita went last summer as well and I believe she stayed on site. We always stay offsite because my family lives around the area. We never have any trouble parking as long as we’re there at least 30 to 40 minutes before the park opens. Fast lane will help you significantly!

4 Likes

Staying on site with only a short to the park was very convenient! You get early entry, but only a small portion of the park is open. We had unlimited fast pass because we only had 1 day and I wanted to do all the rides. I think I went on roller coasters over 20 times from park open to close, pretty much all of them + a few repeats. I was dizzy towards the end :rofl: , but it was a wonderful day. Worth every penny.

4 Likes

For early entry I arrived 30 min prior and there was no one there (summer, midweek).

I would think that you won’t have significant issues with crowd levels in October, maybe weekends?

1 Like

Fast lane plus is expensive!! If chances of selling out in October are low, maybe you can see how it goes and buy during the park day? (I can’t remember if there was any advantage buying FP ahead of time other than availability).

2 Likes

Just a note here - I don’t go to CP but have been to other local parks. This is helpful to purchase ahead of time but just remember that you might end up behind people who haven’t purchased (just like you do at the taps).

2 Likes

I haven’t been to CP for a long while, but I have not seen many issues at the other local parks. But if you want to just jam everything at once, get the Fast Lane Plus. It’s just so much easier than Disney’s G+. Most waits will be really short, 10 minutes tops for almost anything. Most of them will get you right to the merge point.

1 Like

Agree! I meant buying ahead of time (non refundable FPP) or waiting to buy during park day. I think there is a discount to buy advanced FPP, but I’m not sure.

1 Like

Sounds like Halloweekends can be crazy…especially if it’s good weather (which I obviously can’t predict in the slightest, it’s the Midwest and who the heck knows?)

1 Like

It’s not that I’m intent on doing everything in one day, it’s that I’m line adverse :rofl:
I can handle crowds, I’m just not wanting to wait more than 30-45 minutes for the top couple coasters. Otherwise I want like 15 minutes or less, optimally!

2 Likes

Oh, ok. Then FPP all the way

1 Like

Just a random comment to say that CP was my high school senior trip! We had a blast! :wink: :blush:

3 Likes

I’m a longtime season pass holder and former employee, so I’ll answer what I can. A few easy ones, first, then the loooong part…

Early entry is super hit or miss and I would absolutely not book Breakers just for that! There may be one ride open, there may be 3, there may be none until 30 minutes in :woman_shrugging:t3: That said, I don’t think there’s any reason not to stay onsite if you can swing the rates at Breakers. I stayed at Breakers Thursday night last year, then switched to Castaway Bay… we got the free parking for Thursday & Friday, with early entry Friday then left midday to swap hotels. We returned at around 3:30 and found a close spot in the main parking lot (your parking pass from Breakers is still good on check out day) where someone else was leaving. If you have a reservation that’s not pre-paid then definitely check Hotwire as the date gets close… sometimes Breakers will come up as a hot rate, especially Thursday night.

All parking is first come, first served. You can pay more for the closer “preferred” spaces in the main lot, but if you’re arriving early that’s not usually necessary. If staying offsite (including the other CP properties that don’t give you free parking) you can get into the parking lot half an hour before the park opens for early entry. I think that’s sufficient the first weekend in October, especially on a Friday. I took youngest niece and her BFF Sept 28-31 (Thu-Sat) last year and Friday didn’t start to get busy until mid-afternoon, when we were leaving for a midday break. Saturday was worse, but that’s largely because it was a gorgeous weekend.

If staying onsite you don’t park separately… you park at the hotel lot and then walk to either the Magnum or Beach entry gates. The Magnum gate gets a decent line, but it’s not anything close to WDW rd lines. The beach entry is what I prefer (you go to Starbucks, then exit through the back door onto the beach boardwalk and it’s just a little way down the beach to the gate near the Windseeker ride) and there’s not a huge crowd there. Even if there was a bit of a line, it’s not like enough people go in then to make any early entry line get long enough that you won’t be able to ride whatever is open during that time.

I go in right at the start, just because if nothing I want to do is open right then there’s nobody stopping you from moseying on over to Millennium or SteVe and just hanging out there waiting for them to open. I will say that the chances of the new ride being open for early entry in October are 50% or less, even if it’s on the list. Cold isn’t great for coaster speeds, so if it’s cold even if the ride is running great (and it may not be… new rides just have A LOT more downtime) they may not have it open early simply because it’s better to offer something reliable than something that very well might roll back and be down the rest of the hour.

The weather really does play a big role in October, though it only rain/storms or unseasonably warm sunny weather really affect the crowd levels. Cold and wind can make the coasters run a bit slower, and they may not always be able to run all trains or have all seats in the train open if it’s particularly nasty.

If you can get there for Thursday evening park time (6-midnight) then it’s absolutely worth it, because the crowds are a low as you’re going to get… only the bigger rides and haunts are open, but it’s a great way to ride a bunch of those “lesser” coasters with little to no wait at all. Alternately you can knock out a couple of bigs with relatively minimal wait, and do some of the haunts and shows. Until last year it was Fridays that were the 6-12 limited ride, less lines nights, but in recent years that got to be so popular that the lines were just as long, so they pushed everything up by a day and it really helped. If you can do Thursday and rd Friday morning then FLP isn’t really necessary, though if you’re a line princess then you’ll want it for Saturday. I almost never even consider it, but with the new ride this year I’m actually toying with the idea of adding all-season FLP to my pass.

A word on the haunted attractions: they’re not Universal-level in detail, but they’re more… interactive. Read: in your face… they won’t touch you, but sometimes they invade your space for sure, and while they’re often a little cheesy they can be pretty intense. They can and will give chase if you run. There are a few areas that become haunted walk-throughs after dark that take up the entire midway, so if you don’t want to be scared after dark then everyone in the party must have one of the No-Boo necklaces you can buy!

3 Likes

I just saw this part. So… the FLP lines for Steel Vengeance can get to be an hour long during Halloweekends, and I think the new ride will be similar. You might just have to accept your fate and ride those last each night, right at close. It’s easier to wait when there’s nothing better to do, plus by midnight lots of the FLP people have gone home or are doing haunts.

1 Like

This is such valuable info!!! Thank you!!!

1 Like

DH has weighed in and feels like Thursday night plus Friday all day (with FL or FL+) is sufficient, staying at either Breakers or Express. I offered up spending Sat and Sunday night being lazy at an air bnb or similar somewhere on Lake Erie. Port Clinton area looks pretty for nature appreciation.

I wasn’t sure what rides would be open Thursday night but it sounds like we could definitely ride some! I don’t have a big interest in the spooky stuff, but I’m not against it if coasters are closed. The resort packages come with Fright Lane, so I’m guessing we could do some of that without much wait.

1 Like

That’s what we did last year… I think we rode all the coasters (it was niece’s BFF’s first time to a coaster park, and she loved it, so we did everything), plus watched the big outdoor stage show and did a couple of haunts. I think we rode Gatekeeper like 3 times during early entry on Friday.

You might not even need full FLP… they started selling individual FL at a couple of rides during Halloweekends last year (I think SteVe was $15), so I’m expecting that to be back for the new one, plus a few others. Maybe save the $$, and then if the weather is really cruddy one of your days you can go back Saturday early and finish up.

1 Like

Yup… they give you a lanyard with a punch card, and it’s not dated so you can use it whenever the houses are open.

1 Like

Ohhh I did not read this anywhere and that is good to know! Thank you!

1 Like