Harmonious: Thoughts

I think it will be. The vibrant colors really are nice. Which is something illuminations and Epcot forever weren’t super strong in.

4 Likes

I haven’t watched it yet, and not sure if I want to yet. But I do have thoughts/questions.

First, reviews seemed mixed. But is some of the negativity coming from a preconceived generalized hatred for the monstrosities in the water? A subconscious, “I can’t admit I liked it on principle,” kind of thing?

Second, is watching it on TV a good idea at all? We watched the HEA fireworks on our resort TV in December since there were no fireworks then. And, well…they were underwhelming on the small screen. In fact, I have watched fireworks on TV a lot over the years, and while less a hassle, they never compare to seeing in person.

Third, it seems like they could swap out elements and improve this in general over time. So, maybe watching it now is not a good idea until they can refine it.

Not sure. Just wondering.

2 Likes

Although HEA was super special to me, seeing this show I am finally understanding the struggle people have talked about with regard to feeling unable to fully enjoy either fireworks or projections because your attention is pulled in so many directions.

It’s still not diminishing how fabulous HEA was for me, but I finally get it.

2 Likes

This thought did run through my head. ROL was easily skipped for me because it didn’t do anything special for me and this show very much left me feeling the same way.

2 Likes

I think HEA worked well for repeat visits because there were so many elements to take in which is really nice. I only saw to the once, loved it but had that “where do I focus?” issue.

I am excited for the projections on main Street because it worked so nicely at DLR.

I’m actually worried about the projections on main street. They certainly won’t be crucial to the overall show, and more importantly, if those are the only ones you can see cause you’re so far away, I think they’re going to be disappointing.

1 Like

It could seriously go either way. The key is that they have to be the sprinkles not the cake (or ice cream). In that narrow space they can immerse you and bring you into the show, but only as enhancements, not telling the story.

1 Like

Based on these mixed reviews (I know on a screen is very different from in person) - I may keep my restaurant reservation firework seating for Epcot night…inside Space 220.

But now I feel like I need to watch it…

That opening makes me feel like I’ll be getting sucked through the Stargate portal
Those do look like Octopus arms.
I cried every time the countries lit up in Illuminations - I’ll probably do that with Harmonious - this did not make me cry, but you’re taken out of it watching it on TV methinks.
I do enjoy the change in languages.
The taco tentacles are far more distracting than the Stargate tentacles.
This feels like a case of doing too much…too many moving parts - there’s beauty in simplicty…and this is not that.
No question, I will tear up at the B&B into Hunchback part.
Agree with all that said the pace picked up at Coco.

You are 100% right about this!

In summary: I didn’t hate this…but I am still among the bitter about the permanent eyesore in the Lagoon. Watching my beloved golf ball light up at the end was pretty freaking cool. I am going to let my mom decide if this is a must see on our trip.

3 Likes

Harmonious “Main Theme” has already hit Sorcerer Radio! It’s the ending (Someday) but has grown on me a tad.

1 Like

100% you’ve hit the nail on the head right here.

3 Likes

Wasn’t there an actual Harmonious theme that was debuted at D23 or something a couple years back? If so, I didn’t hear it.

I just watched a whole POV video of it, which was a big improvement. It lets you see the whole show, all the effects as if you were there, without being at the mercy of someone else controlling the camera cuts. By seeing it as a whole view, the use of pyro seemed better - still has a lot of ground/water based “mines” but it does have a fair number of aerial shells (they launch up into the air and then they “break”). In the livestream, we’d see things go past upwards, but didn’t see that they “broke”, when in actuality they did. You could also see a better overall flow to all the elements.

I tried to pay attention to the music. There were a couple of slow spots where I didn’t catch the words and some songs I didn’t recognize.

Those mechanical partial-arch shapes that can move - when I first saw them I thought of Ursula’s tentacles.
The haphazard waving water jets remind me of those tall, inflated figures that wave around at car lots. I’d hoped for a more-coordinated, high-pressure colored water fountain show like World of Color at DCA.

2 Likes

I’m watching the Enchanted live stream right now.

Nothing like Bob Chapek to make a fireworks show feel like a friggin IBM sellers conference.

3 Likes

Yup.

I booed him.

2 Likes

Me too! I bet that’s why they had Iger come out with him. So the booing wouldn’t be too loud.

1 Like

PRECISELY. shhhh and start the pyro

2 Likes

No. Wait.

I’m not back at the hotel yet cause Epcot was awful at loading people onto the monorail

1 Like

Harmonious in person

LIke most comments on here, i was very disappointed with the Harmonious live stream.
Like most here i wondered if it was better in person, and worth the oil rig platforms in the sight line of the lagoon.

So tonight we stopped in after work. Tapped in a little after 6pm, and snagged a Remy 204 boarding group number (stand by). Our boarding group was called before the 10pm park closing. Crowds were modest, to light. The Anniversary masses did not hang around very long.

Back to Harmonious … better in person, yes. I think its an obvious statement to say any type show is better in person, then a live stream on a device. I still wasn’t wowed, but moved my option of Harmonious from a C, up to a B-. It is a good show, not a great show.

Harmonious in person, is definitely not worth the barges in the lagoon. I don’t know who gave that idea a green light, but i sentence them to 10 straight 8-hour days on Small World, as penance. The barges did not run fountains all day time, just sporadic periods of time.

LED on Spaceship Earth are a great touch, but Disney has already been out-done. While driving home, we saw something cool on South International Drive in the Gaylord Resort / Marriot World Resort area. Some body was doing an LED Drone light show. Now that was cool, and more impressive than the simple color-changing sphere.

4 Likes