Grrr - Southwest (and other General Aviation Rants)

Oh my bad! I thought you WERE talking southwest! Oops! Carry on

I was.

I have direct flights from Philly to MCO this weekend, and one of my flights dropped in price so I now have a credit.

Moving forward, their schedue only has a couple of direct flights on Saturdays…that is it. All other days have at least one stop.

Southwest has taken almost all the direct flights to & from Philly off their schedule (I am also flying to Ohio and Indiana in next 8 months and no direct ones there either).

$71 credit and no where to use it!

1 Like

You can get gift cards in exchange for your SW rewards points. Not sure whats available for the amount of points you have because the exchange rate isnt as good as it would be if you were getting a flight but maybe better than the points going to waste. Not much disney related these days but I have seen Landrys gift card which you could use for some lunch at Yak&Yeti? Just a thought…i also hate the idea of wasted/unused points. They used to have good stuff like disney gift cards and universal day passes.

1 Like

My son is going to Disney at the end of the month. He had Southwest credits to use. We got AP’s so he just needed a room. He had a cancelled Disney trip and a cancelled wedding trip. I gave up my credit. It would have to be used by mid February. It would cost me more than it’s worth to use it.

I think I will fly American. I want to book for the epic liner meet. American has direct flights. Their flight plus one bag is the same as Southwest with early bird.

2 Likes

What is it with SW anyway??? Admittedly, I waited too long to book flights, but on the date I am trying to book for our return, every single flight (not just non-stops, and there are many) is showing no availability at the Wanna Get Away rate, except for one flight at a crappy time. I really can’t believe every flight is that booked up in the beginning of May?

1 Like

PVD also used to have a number of direct flights to MCO - now there is only one and it’s at 5:30 AM.

1 Like

The problem is the only affordable available return flight from MCO is at 7:20AM. We would have to leave the resort at 4:30 and lose a whole day at WDW. But DS starts classes for the summer semester the following day, so we can’t wait a day.

That’s maddening. I’m all for leaving on a 6am flight to go TO disney, but not for the trip home. Is there another airline you could use?

3 Likes

I am looking into my options now. SWA has always had an abundance of direct flights from our city and we have always flown with them, but sadly, things have changed.

You’re booking now for beginning of May? I absolutely can believe the fares are sold out.

I hope you find something acceptable.

2 Likes

Yes, I know, shame on me. We didn’t really plan to take this trip, so everything is last minute. It still might fall through. I had enough points to book the departing flight (fully refundable), but I was hesitant to book the return flight with $ and end up with travel credits. So, as usual, I procrastinated. :roll_eyes:

No that’s not what I meant at all.

I was responding to the likelihood that fares would be sold out for that time frame by now.

I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings - not at all my intent :frowning:

1 Like

:laughing:
No! You didn’t hurt my feelings at all! I have been beating myself up over this trip for weeks! One thing I have really come to appreciate about you is that you always speak your mind! It’s refreshing! :heart:

1 Like

Oh good.

Related question… I seem to recall you spending a night at a hotel at MCO on one of your trips. Was that the Hyatt Regency in the airport, or some other hotel near the airport?

Hyatt Regency right in the main concourse. Super convenient. Clean. Quiet. Affordable. Easy to get on your way next day.

Staying there again Friday night!

2 Likes

We might book this. It would be a lot easier (and cheaper) than spending the night in our resort before an early morning return flight. Thanks.

Aside from sometimes the value resorts, I have found this to be the more affordable option as well. And whenever we don’t want to use points just for sleeping, such as with a late arrival or early departure.

1 Like

The beginning of May is practically a week away!

1 Like

Specifically looking at the return flight for May 15, but yes, I am stressing…

1 Like