Grand Floridian Society Orchestra - Farewell šŸ˜­

I saw this, which was copied from their Facebook page:

Itā€™s hard to find the words but, sadly, our days at the Grand Floridian are over. In fact, as of Oct 3, 2020, our days at WDW will come to an end as well.
The company brought us out of furlough, changed our name to ā€œThe Disney Society Orchestra,ā€ closed us out of the GF to play a show of Disney themed show tunes at the Theater of the Stars in Hollywood Studios. Weā€™ve been playing 9 shows a day, 7 days a week since Aug 2nd. The music is a far cry from the closely knit harmonies & sounds we became known for at the GF but. the guys are real pros and they sound great!
Wellā€¦ Two weeks ago we got notice that the theater is going dark and our last day of work will be Saturday, Oct 3, 2020. As we all know, these are very uncertain times and canā€™t say what will happen from one day to the next.
So after 32 years of playing together and playing music we loveā€¦ weā€™re done. We are so thankful for the opportunity to play in a beautiful setting for the hotel guests and friends we have met & made over the years. Weā€™ll never forget you and how wonderful youā€™ve made us feel. We will miss you!
Thank you-thank you- thank you!

I am heartbroken at the news. :sob::sob::sob:

Thatā€™s sad. I was looking forward to that DHS show Oct 13. I enjoyed the YouTube version of it.

1 Like

The fine arts performers have been hit so hard by the pandemic. They add so much to the feeling of magic both inside and outside the parks. No trip is complete for me without listening to Voices of Liberty or seeing the Festival of the Lion King. These folks matter and I am so sad to hear that another groupā€™s time at Disney has ended. 32 years of playing togetherā€¦I cannot imagine how difficult things are for those folks right now.

5 Likes

That is frickin BS

That orchestra MAKES the GF lobby. It is exactly what is needed there to create ambience.

FTN.

4 Likes

THIS! I would get the chills walking in that lobby when they were playing. What a tragic loss.

3 Likes

Iā€™m holding out hope that it will be back, but Disney just doesnā€™t think it will be in the near term (6 mos?).

1 Like

Ughhhhh, before we got to stay there.

A real bummer all the things they are taking away that really make it Disneyā€¦

But also hoping itā€™s just corona, and itll be back, hopefully!

2 Likes