Going to WDW maybe!

Well I booked a trip the other day to WDW in April. Problem is that we are old and need to get the vaccine and be immune before we can go. Let’s see, considering the vaccine for I and my wife who are both past 65 get the vaccine in January and then another dose in Febuary and then three move weeks the immunity, we will be cutting it close. No cannot take the chance without it. Now for the things I have learned about the changes in WDW such as the Magic Express no longer picking up and delivering your luggage and no more check-in at the resort, that’s kind of a bummer. No fast passes and have to check-in online for meals using a code I don’t even know if I have a reader for is also not a change I like. No more complimentary Magic Bands and though I can get one for being a annual pass holder, you can’t get it till your there and activate your annual pass. Lot of good that does when checking in for your room and the Magic Express. Upside is that we have several Magic Bands from trips past and may be able to use one of them if the batteries are still good as they are only a year or two old. The more I read about the changes, the more I have to question the trip at all. Sounds like Universal is becoming a better option but we planned on a two week trip and no way would I do Universal for two weeks. Just some thoughts on our upcoming trip and if anyone knows more changes give me a shout.

2 Likes

Do you have a smartphone?

1 Like

Oh yes, unlocking your door with your phone gives a cheerful tinker-Bell-like sound. I’ve used my phone instead of a magic band just to hear it :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, and the camera should read the QR codes

2 Likes

Yes

That may work if Magic Band batteries are dead from prior Magic Band

Is the QR code a square or the lines you see on a product? If a square you must have to use the Disney app to get it to read the QR code.

The QR code is a square. If you open your camera and focus on the code it will take you directly to where you need to check in. Sounds complicated but real easy.

1 Like

You can unlock your resort room door w/ a magic band or your phone on your MDE (magical disney experience app).

Not all Smartphones work. Mine would not unlock the door. I believe you have to have NFC on your phone for it to work. Generally the expensive Smartphones have NFC, but less expensive ones do not.

So I would not depend on your Smartphone unless you can successfully use it for tapping and paying at stores.

2 Likes

Remember you can always go to the front desk if you need to. And then you could ask for those “key to the World” cards they used to use pre Magic Bands.

And if your phone doesn’t read thenQR codes then you can check-in for an ADR at the podium.

Sure they are encouraging people to do everything on their phones but they can’t actually make it mandatory!

2 Likes

My camera doesn’t do the QR codes, have to use a QR code reader app. I really dont like this change to people using smart phones, option, sure, but if they eliminate the magic bands, this will make things MUCH more difficult for some people.

2 Likes