Gluten Free Food

So, my BIL and nephew are gluten free (GF) and my BIL is worried about what he will eat while we are at the parks. I’ve told him that another friend went when she was GF and had no issues at all. That all were super knowledgeable and accommodating.

Wondering what other GF folks experiences have been and if there is any advice I should pass along?

Also, we don’t have any restaurant reservations. There are 10 of us going and that planning just got too hard so we are all just winging it. Which hopefully isn’t too crazy of an idea.

Thanks.

I am GF and had an amazing dining experience everywhere I went during our last trip about 2 years ago. Disney is the absolute best with food allergies. We had ADRs for our TS meals so my allergy was listed on the ressie. At buffets the chef came out and showed me what I could eat. At the non-buffet restaurants I was given an allergen menu; they had these at QS places, as well. Disney was probably the best when it came to assisting with my gluten allergy! We are getting ready to leave in 1 more day, and I am looking forward to trying some new restaurants this time around. :slight_smile:

@mALYficent is our GF liner expert. Hopefully, she’ll have time to chime in here with some advice (she’s getting married in a month, so I’m sure she’s super busy).

1 Like

I’ll pop in tonight with some recommendations! @jones1400 if you don’t hear from me in a couple hours just tag me again and I’ll get an email reminder :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok! So with “winging it” are you going to try to get walk-ups at any table service restaurants, or stick to quick service?

At most restaurants now (both TS and QS), they have allergy menus. They’re kind of bass ackwards in that the items that state the allergy are the ones that are safe for you. For example, if it says “For Gluten, Egg, Peanut Allergies”, it means it’s safe to eat.

I also recommend buying the “Gluten Free Disney Dining” phone app. It’s $2 or $3 in the app store, but it’s incredibly detailed and identifies the safe items at every snack cart and restaurant.

At Magic Kingdom, Columbia Harbour House is really good. They have really delicious chicken tenders, and house-made honey mustard sauce. They have other entrees too, but I’ve only had the tenders because they’re awesome haha
If you can get a reservation for Be Our Guest at lunch, it’s one of the best meals I’ve ever had at Disney. Their turkey sandwich and potato leek soup are both amazing, and they also have yummy GF cream puffs (although they are sweetened with a fake sweetener, so they have that slightly funky aftertaste)
I haven’t eaten at Cosmic Ray’s, but they have some more standard faire of hot dogs, burgers, mashed potatoes, rotisserie chicken, etc.

For snacks, the popcorn, turkey legs, and Mickey ice cream bars are all GF.

Very quickly, I also recommend Sunshine Seasons at Epcot, and Pizzafari at Animal Kingdom. If you want to delve into Table Service and look for some reservations, it’ll definitely open up more options! I don’t have a lot of time to get into more general overviews of the other parks, but feel free to send me a private message with any of your loose plans, and I can give some recommendations! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Disney is wonderful about accommodating food allergies. Gluten is an easy one for them. At counter service, you will be given a pager (because food is prepared separately and sometimes takes longer), and when delivered, food will be kept on a separate tray to minimize risk of cross contamination. Most restaurants have allergy menus – Columbia Harbor house was a favorite for us too. Animal Kingdom had a snack cart for just gluten free snacks. Dole whips are gluten and dairy free! At breakfast, Mickey waffles can be made gluten free (actually I think they are free of all major allergens, including dairy). If you stay at or visit Port Orleans French Quarter, you can get gluten free beignets. If you do s table service buffet or all you can eat set menu (like Ohana), the chef will walk you through to show you what’s safe and will make to order some substitutions.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. There are 10 of us going and we didn’t know when we’d be together or separate so the dining part just got too hard. I doubt we will try any walk up table service meals, unless we aren’t all together, but it’s not that important to me to eat any certain place, so I don’t want to wait for ages just to eat a particular place.

They did get that gluten free phone app. I will keep the other recs in mind and share with my sister and brother-in-law.

Thanks!

1 Like

Disney is extremely accommodating with allergies. Have them email special.diets@disneyworld.com They can provide you with a wealth of information!!

1 Like