Gift Card Nerdery

Buying bulk cards at BJs seems much more straight forward and easy, thus I didn’t think of it. :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, you have to buy an extreme amount at one time… so it’s always good to have options!

1 Like

I’ve been buying gift cards at Kroger (Dosh had 5% cashback) and stacked with my Freedom 5% at grocery stores and a 4x fuel points on gift cards. Pretty sweet deal. Waiting for Dosh to offer Sam’s at 10% off as they sometimes do and stack that with my Uber Visa offers for free rides at Disney.

3 Likes

I bought $8k in gift cards from BJ’s last October when they had the 8% off. My credit card was also offering 5% back on wholesale clubs. It was a lot of cards which I consolidated on mydisneygiftcard.com. They shipped them in a few different packages and I had no trouble at all. It was a few hours of scratching and entering, but still better value in dollars per hr than my job.

3 Likes

Ok. So I’m tempted by this. But I live in Texas and have never heard of BJs. Can I still get a membership online only? Do they only take a specific CC like Costco? How long do you expect the discount to last?

It seems a little crazy to sink thousands of dollars into gift cards when I don’t need to pay in full for three months. Will anything (simple) and better pop up before July? Or is this is about as good as it gets?

Thanks!

1 Like

Also. What are the cons of paying by gift card?

OH NO. I hope this is short term. I was at Sam’s last night and got the % off. https://www.waystosavefordisney.com/hopefully-its-just-a-glitch/?fbclid=IwAR3hh8nrnvOyrDJPKKlMLsiKzajA9kK2TztUEEIhCBx6RR3N-DfDUi8Vjn8

Basically just two … refunds, if any, are issued to the gift card, not paid in cash or credited back to the credit card. Unused amounts on gift cards after your vacation are still only good at Disney.

2 Likes

One more: to my knowledge you can’t connect a gift card to your magic band for in-park purchases.

2 Likes

I had never heard of BJ’s before, either. But their deals on Disney Gift Cards have made them somewhat famous in the Disney community.

(The Backside of Magic podcast was basically started around a couple of key tricks, using gift cards to pay for your vacation being one of their go-to’s).

I haven’t taken the plunge on using BJ’s yet, but there have many many good reports on this forum and others of people who have had zero issues.

Yes, there are other deals out there. See @JJT’s sheet on Sam’s Club in this thread, and others on stacking deals from credit cards, Dosh and elsewhere… you can also use this site for some good, creative ideas: https://pointstoneverland.com

Our family has gotten into trouble with credit cards in the past, so I honestly need to steer away from putting on vacation on one, so my best choices right now is using our Target Red Card Debit (saving 5%) or putting my vacation into the hands of the B2B Sales team at BJ’s and saving 7.66%.

Oh, one other downside, I’ll have to scratch off the secret strip of 102 cards if we go with BJ’s.

1 Like

Huh, that stinks. I was doing well with Dosh at Sam’s and Exxon, now both are gone.

Fingers crossed they both come back!

I live in CA and the nearest BJ’s is east of the Mississippi. You can get a $10 online only membership. They take any Visa. You will probably not get a better deal, so assuming you need/want more than $5k, I’d jump on it. If you stack it with some other click-through rebate like Dosh, you may be able to get some extra savings out of it.

2 Likes

For Delta skymiles members, www.skymilesshopping.com has a $1/mile Sam’s Club offer now. Delta frequent flier number only needed to get an account, no Delta Amex required.

As long as you start web purchases from the skymiles shopping website, the cookies track your purchases and you get credited miles based on your purchase regardless of payment method used (you just shop as normal, including using gift cards to pay, or pay with an airline credit card to also get miles that way, or other credit card). It has legit changed my life and I am so pissed (translation for UK liners: upset) that I didn’t find out about it until after Black Friday / cyber Monday.

Not sure you would be able to triple-stack with Dosh, but in some instances the miles may be more useful than 2% cash back from Dosh for some people. You’d be able to get the Sams savings, and 1% from disney visa if that is the payment method. Assuming you can buy gift cards online at Sams.

Ok now that I’m down this rabbit hole. Wondering if you can buy sams gift cards online to get the miles from skymiles shopping, then use the sams gift card to buy Disney gift cards via sams to get miles from skymiles shopping…

2 Likes

That is what my five kids are for, right?! 30 for each :rofl: Maybe I’ll promise them each some of the bonus cash as spending money when we get there.

2 Likes

That was where my credit card question comes in - I have one that will give me cash back. We generally operate more on cash since our budget is generally tight, but since I have the cash on hand to pay the bill I might as well enjoy next January’s check.

Only one way to find out: Take one for the team and try it! :smiley:

My attempt to stack with Samsung Pay last week appears to be unsuccessful, but at least I got a shiny new $50 Disney GC in the mail yesterday. If only I had a trip planned this year. :expressionless:

1 Like

thanks @wildernesslodger we just signed up for skymiles & the gold card - didnt realize they had a shopping site. Will definitely be using this!

1 Like

We have a target red card, so I was considering getting enough to pay for food and incidentals for our trip. But knowing that they can’t be put on the band or used for mobile order is making it hard to figure out how much to get. We are planning on doing all quick service, so we’ll be making frequent use of mobile order.

1 Like

You can’t put them on your band, but you can go to the front desk and pay down/off your balance.

3 Likes

@JonMcIntosh, you can actually peel the sticker off the back of the gift card, you dont have to scratch off! I just paid for our trip with gift cards, using a combination of methods. Sam’s, Dosh, BJ’s, RetailMeNot, etc.

2 Likes