Getting by without G+ - realistic? Tips/tricks?

We’re going to WDW the week of 4/17. It will be two families, we will call them ‘mine’ (two adults and 2.5 yo) and ‘theirs’ (2 adults, 4 yo, 5.5 yo). My family has 6 park days and arrives first. This is the plan:
4/17: AK (mine)
4/18: EP (mine)
4/19 and 4/20: MK (all)
4/21: HS (all)
4/22: EP (all)

I’ve used the TP crowd calendar to pick parks for those dates. Generally they’re 5s and 6s, though I’m not getting my hopes up on that. We intend to arrive for rope drop and we won’t be doing most thrill rides or character meets. We’re cruising after this, so we’re going to focus character meets on the cruise. The only thrill rides we might want to do are Cosmic Rewind and RotR and will use rider swap for both. I hope to do a 2-3 hour break midday for lunch/naps (hopefully staying in the parks) and then leave the parks around 6ish.

According to my Touring Plan analysis, this is doable without G+. But I don’t know how accurate the estimates have been for TP since post-COVID. The only sticking point is HS; I couldn’t make everything fit there. I think I may at least recommend ILL$ for that since we only have the one day and RotR is a must-do. We are staying on-site so I’m hoping we can get a good VQ for Cosmic Rewind.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I feel a lot of pressure to not eff this up, as the ‘Disney planner’ in our group.

2 Likes

Totally doable with this caveat. Hit the biggest lines at RD or in the morning. Get a BG for Cosmic Rewind at 7am (make sure to learn about that before you go!). You may want to RD RotR or go last thing before park closing. If you are going to get one ILL, RotR would be a good choice.

2 Likes

If we do an ILL$ for RotR, do you think we can do a fair amount of other stuff in HS without G+? Or should we consider that as well? I’m not sure whether the kids will be tall enough/want to do SDD, so I was thinking if we got the ILL, we’d probably then rope drop MMRR unless Slinky is on the table.

1 Like

You can get everything done in HS in one long day without Genie+. Without ToT and RNRC, and with an ILL for RotR, you should have no trouble getting through everything else. RD for MMRR is a great idea, but I agree SDD would be the better choice if you’re going to ride it, then go to MMRR and MFSR afterward.

3 Likes

You’ll be coming out ahead $$-wise doing ILL for the adults riding RotR versus buying G+ for everyone. In that case, I totally agree with @Jeff_AZ’s plan to do SDD first, then hop over to MMRR. MFSR will probably have a wait time, but it’s got a nice queue, at least, and I’m sure you’ll be able to find a window when the standby queue is pretty reasonable, especially in mid-April.

3 Likes

Yeah, and the kids won’t do MFSR, so I imagine a couple of the adults could wrangle them elsewhere.

1 Like

MFSR is also a GREAT option for Single Rider if you don’t mind splitting up and not getting to sit in the pilot’s seat.

3 Likes

Especially if you’re planning on doing rider swap anyways.

2 Likes

I know many of us here can relate! I think since you are not doing many thrill rides, you can totally get by without G+ if you RD with onsite early entry. My suggestion is to break up into 2 TPs. One to cover the first 1.5 hours - 2 hours of the day. Get those headliner rides in, setting your walking pace to regular. Then a 2nd TP to cover the rest of the attractions, breaks, meals, etc. but setting the pace to be much more relaxed. This should give you a realistic picture of how you day really will go.
You’re going a couple weeks past Easter and before school lets out but Spring is still getting busy at WDW. I think 6 and 7 would be a safe bet for an average. But be prepared for a little bit higher at peak times.

1 Like

Not sure if this is an option but kids could do Swirling Saucers while adults are on MFSR and Muppets while adults do Rise. There is also a Disney Play game in the app for Galaxy Edge that might keep them entertained for a brief time.

1 Like

The new bounty hunter game is great for kids too - it does require magic band +

2 Likes

Sounds fun!

1 Like

I am living your request right now in WDW… we are not using genie+ or ILL for anything. It is working out just fine.

You said you are rope droppers and that is key to make things as smooth as pissible.

For GotG, use BG1. There is a thread about it in La Cava. I was able to secure BG1 while running the half marathon this morning. If you are unable to get one at 7am, do nit worry. You will have another chance at 1pm.

If you want to do Remi, enter from international gateway. When they opened the park for early entry, the main gate was held by Nemo and friends. The international gateway group was allowed to go immediately into the queue for Remi.

As for RotR. Get to the park early and be at the front of the pack when they let you in. This week it was about 30 min. Before early entry that we were let in. Speed walk or at least stay nesr the front of the pack and you will get on RotR pretty quickly.

2 Likes

As for MFSR. My son did RotR first thing and then did MFSR via single rider twice within minutes.

2 Likes

I went this past October with a group of 9. We made our trip without G+, and we only used LL for GotG because that was a must not miss. We rode it twice because my dad randomly got VQ spots for all of us in the afternoon. We didn’t rope drop but arrived no later than 30 min after the park opening. We also stayed until closing every day. I had chosen our dates based on the crowd calendar, but it was significantly more crowded every day we were there.

3 Likes

With the BG for Cosmic Rewind, you can go and ride at any time after your group is called. That isn’t official so not 100% guaranteed but we have yet to hear about anyone refused.
And the 3 caballeros ride in the Mexico pavilion is nearby for someone to take the kids to whilst you wait. Or the play area at Mission Space.

I agree with getting an ILL for Rise.

2 Likes