Genie+

6 Likes

While I personally got good use out of Genie+ at both DLR (especially) and WDW in the past few weeks, I think the whole system is too complicated for the average user and therefore is a customer service nightmare.

I donā€™t really care what they change because I will figure it out and become an expert and be able to use it better than most people. But I hope for the sake of average users that they come up with something simpler.

Honestly, I think doing pay-per-ride (i.e., ILLs for every LL ride instead of a bundled Genie+) is the easiest way to go. That way, you only pay for exactly the LLs that you get (with more choice about your return time). And it would discourage people from using LL on a ride they donā€™t really want to pay for, so hopefully the standby queues would be less impacted. The price for each ride could be adjusted to a sweet spot where they donā€™t run out before park open without impacting the standby queue too much.

2 Likes

Nope

Iā€™m already pissed about paying more

Iā€™m surely not going to pay an admission ticket and then also pay per ride

Please donā€™t give them any ideas, my friend. Weā€™re already going to be on hiatus as a family after April, and will have nothing planned after September, because the cost is out of control.

And. We. Donā€™t. Have. To. Pay. For. Lodging!!! That is the mind-blowing thing! We are fed up and we have ā€œfreeā€ (okay prepaid) lodging.

7 Likes

Iā€™m sympathetic to the cost argument of course, but I think there is a trade-off. To some people being able to pay for something easy is better than getting something complicated for free. FPP is complicated and stressful, as familiar as it is to some of us.

Okay, I can see that. By and large when Iā€™m on vacation Iā€™m a ā€œthrow money at the problemā€ kind of traveler

But when it is too expensive for the average guest? Thatā€™s problematic, donā€™t you think?

Donā€™t say that they are still selling tickets and filling the parks because they are still enjoying the post(?)-pandemic rage travel. Once that well dries they are in trouble.

4 Likes

Yeah, I agree the upping of costs across the board is problematic. Most of the increased cost is coming from ticket and hotel price inflation. Genie+ plus ILLs cost me at total of $100 for 4 days, and I rode every ILL attraction (7DMT without an ILL). Thatā€™s pretty cheap compared to Express Passes at UOR, and would justify reducing the number of days at WDW and still help you hit all the rides (which would be a huge savings).

Tbh, doing away with Magical Express irks me more than paying for FPP. I actually think making FPP paid is beneficial to everyone (because fewer people are using it, so standby queues arenā€™t as impacted). Whereas having to pay for ME just costs more money - the service is exactly the same.

3 Likes

Great summary. Whatā€™s your take on FP+ user types?

Iā€™ll pay for G+ and $ILL as long as I think itā€™s worth it for the wait time saved. As an offsite guest I think itā€™s better for me than FP+ was.

1 Like

I donā€™t think theyā€™d make as much making everything ILL. Most guests may splurge for 1-2, but wonā€™t probably go higher. $15 seemed like a reasonable deal because you could get ā€œas many as you wantā€. I wonder if this new language will stop people from buying it.

What I think will happen (not that I want it to happen) is that G+ will get some FPP-like modifications along with a price increase (say to $20 or $25). And I wouldnā€™t be at all surprised if they eventually have some kind of unlimited option where you can ride everything once per day, but that will be at express pass prices and/or limited to a specific set of people (like Deluxe/DVC).

2 Likes

Oh. Not if that prevents LLs from being modified (as ILLs are prevented now)
No thank you

3 Likes

Thanks! Canā€™t say I have a take on FP+ user types, though, because it was before my time. I started throwing myself into Disney a little over a year ago, so Iā€™m very much of the G+ era. :wink:

1 Like