Genie+ Strategy Questions and Answers (mostly for len)

I’m using this thread to test different Genie+ strategies across a wide variety of touring plans. I expect that there’s no “One Strategy Fits All”, given the diversity of touring plans we see.

For this question, assume:

• You’re using Genie+
  • You’ve got lunch or a break scheduled in your plan for 12 noon to 1:10 pm
  • The most useful attraction for your specific plan has a Genie+ reservation available with return time of 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm

My question is: Would you take that G+ reservation knowing that the time window is 10 minutes shorter than normal because of your lunch/break? Or would you risk potentially not seeing another G+ reservation for that attraction because it’s only a 50-minute window?

3 Likes

I definitely would take the G+ reservation and just plan to use it later in the window.

7 Likes

Yes because I know that it’s actually 119 min return window and I’ve got plenty of time (in this case 109 minutes)

I would also keep playing the slots in hopes of getting another that worked even better

10 Likes

I too would take it because I know the window is extended by 119 minutes.

That being said I am imagining the chat posts if my touring plan told me to show up after the window. I also don’t want that 119 minute window published since most likely Disney will change it.

Ok, back on topic. Yes, I would take that window because a 50 minute window, right after an in-park meal is plenty of time.

8 Likes

What if it involved you hopping though? Say I’m having lunch at AK but my SDD at HS is the thing we are talking about.

1 Like

Yes. I’d go straight to the ride after lunch / break. 50 minutes still allows for some leeway should I be running a bit late.

1 Like

Good point. Assume no park hopping.

3 Likes

Then even not considering the 119 minute return window I would still find the return time acceptable though it’s 10 mins shorter than usual

3 Likes

My thought is I would take the Genie+ reservation to start my 2-hour clock, and try to modify the time to a bit later if needed - also knowing there is a grace period if I was unable and couldn’t make it by 2:00.

4 Likes

I’d definitely take it (even without the unofficial 119 minute grace period). I might try to modify to a bit later if I knew for sure lunch was going to go long. But overall I’d be comfortable with that window and just use it as is.

2 Likes

I would take the LL for all the reasons listed above.

No matter what, rookies are going to be confused / overwhelmed by all the nuances of Genie+ and that has to be taken into consideration. But even so, 10 minutes should be enough to get from an in-park meal to the attraction.

6 Likes

This.

3 Likes

1:10 to 2:15 is a 65 minute window.

Doesn’t TP’s G+ website information come into play here? That extra 15 minutes can be worked into the touring plans, no? Or at least mentioned in a TP so newbies are aware…

5 Likes

I would definitely book the Genie+. So long as I have most of the hour long window available I would expect to be able to make it in time.

1 Like

Good point.

I was specifically not including the grace period because many first-timers won’t know about it. My thinking was that they’re going to look at the initial trade-off as “50-minute window OR I get nothing.”

5 Likes

I would take it and ditto what @Jeff_AZ said.

2 Likes

If you’re looking for a teaching point I would lean heavily on the idea that for the most in-demand attractions (or even just for the most critical to a touring plan) it’s best to take what you get to start off with, even if it’s not ideal, and then play the slots until you modify to a more convenient time.

9 Likes

This convo is interesting to me because in all my planning, it’s never occurred to me to be annoyed at potentially “losing” 10 minutes on a reservation. As long as there is 1 minute where I know I can get there that’s good enough for me.

Actually playing out this scenario in my head - if I told my family I had gotten that G+ the response would probably be “Oh perfect so we can go right there after lunch!”

10 Likes

I would take it and consider it an ideal return time even if I didn’t know about grace period.

3 Likes

100% take the Genie+ knowing that their is a grace period or I could beg the CM to let me on if I was late

2 Likes