Genie launched - start date Oct 19th

Yeah I think you could easily get a dozen+ at MK - the 2 hour window only matters if you don’t tap in. If you get one at 7 for 9AM (not that you would need it) you could grab one at 9 (2 hrs after 7,) tap into your first one, ride it, then tap into your second one, and grab your third one before 10…

Of course it all depends on return times.

You could also do DHS and do all 7 rides there, then park hop to Epcot, get another 3-4…

And if later on they do decide to allow rerides…

2 Likes

I think my strategy will be to map out my plan using TP. I will see what predicted wait times look like. I will try to leave rides with longer waits for first thing in the morning or last thing in the evening. If I can avoid paying G+ I will because it does not seem so all inclusive. Being on my phone constantly, especially at 7am may cause stress and may take away from the ability to just walk around in awe. if G+ included ALL rides and was unlimited and you did not have to wait 90 minutes, I might consider it. But having to pay 15$ plus more for the other 2 rides plus wait between the choices plus having to keep going on the phone - it doesn’t make sense. These rides are a few minutes long. For people who can afford dishing out tons of money, yes go for it! But for those who really struggled and sacrificed for a while, it just doesn’t make sense. For one single person, perhaps but for a family, it adds up. I am curious to see what you guys report following your trips and perhaps over time glitches will be ironed, Disney might offer an all inclusive ride package etc. Right now, too much effort, time, money and stress seem involved. I am happy to hear some of you are excited as it gives me hope that maybe it is not as bad as it seems.

2 Likes

I get what you’re saying and it makes sense, just wanted to clarify one thing for you: you don’t have to wait 90 minutes between selections. If you get a LL pass and then tap in to use it, you can then select another one right away.

The wait comes in if you get a LL pass for later in the day. Let’s say it’s 10 am and you get a LL for Slinky Dog at 2. Then you can get another pass at noon, even though you haven’t used your Slinky Dog pass yet.

But let’s say it’s 10 AM and you get a 10:15 pass for Big Thunder. As soon as you tap into Big Thunder, you can grab another pass - let’s say for HM at 10:40. Then at 10:40 you tap into HM, you can grab one for Small World. And so on throughout the day.

5 Likes

Midnight is to make it easier on Disney IT. So, that those purchased one at a time are always Day Of.

3 Likes

One thing with MaxPass at DL, is that there was also the paper passes. So, you had a majority of people getting passes in some method. So, I don’t think it will be a problem if most people get it. Also, even then, the one-ride rule should keep the standby line from chocking.

If it doesn’t work at WDW it will be because of low attraction density, at least of pass-worthy attractions. Think of the FPP advice. At most parks there were 3-4 FPP worth getting and the main problem was that two of those were Tier 1. Even at MK, it was what 5-6? My memory is faulty. But, regardless, the FPP choices were clear.

15 Likes

When I saw this I thought about stealing it for the Memes and Jokes thread!

3 Likes

Steal away!

1 Like

I commented on Instagram, like Len always says, when this starts, it will be a surprise to many!

4 Likes

I have been thinking about this too. Becky’s “is it worth it” blogs play this out as well. Lack of ride density could:

1. make it not worth it in low density parks (EP, AK) except for the most crowded days; and

2. necessitates the no reride policy to keep LL from dramatically affecting SB waits in the few rides in those parks.

Financially, I think WDW would do better if they took EE off the ILLS list. They will sell many more G+ for AK with EE on the list because then there would be enough rides to make it worth it. Otherwise I don’t think they sell many EE ILLS or G+ in that park.

6 Likes

Well I meant when I saw it on IG, since I didn’t and you did I think you should post it!

1 Like

I wonder if the many months EE Refurb played a role? Otherwise people might complain that they only bought G+ for their tickets because they thought EE would be an option.

3 Likes

Ooh, true point. In that case, a smart decision.

I still plan on using TP in conjunction with my G+ and LL purchases. I’m really hoping Genie is the kick in the pants TP needs to get its software updated to work with “MaxPass” better. I tracked MaxPass times for more than a year and after about 10am my TPs were habitually / wildly incorrect.

I get that no one wants to pay for this. I don’t either, but I think it’s going to work out. We’ll all be G+ experts in no time and boosting about how we game that system.

I guess because I don’t have a trip for another 400+ days it’s all academic for me. If your trip is next month I can see how being a live beta tester is going to be stressful!

Wow! What a great catch! I’ll bet you’re 100% correct! Make sure you bookmark this so you can be the one to say you saw it coming!

5 Likes

Ah will do!

1 Like

When G+ first came out, I may have put a few soft digs about this out there. From some of the responses I got, it seems they have been working on this?

Because I agree. TP was.good for letting me know average last distribution time for MP (but I always assumed it was an hour sooner than they said) and I used it as a checklist of what I wanted to do. But it was often a mess.

1 Like

Ahh. It’s refreshing to see this laid out as FAQ’s.
I feel better. (Not about G+ and ILL, but my ability to navigate.)

2 Likes

Woo! We’re setting up LL and Genie+ predictions in the app and touring plans.

I’m guessing that Genie will not work directly with Genie+. That is, I don’t think that Genie will know you’ve got Genie+ and tell you when to get your next reservation to minimize your wait in line. But we’re working on that for Lines.

As far as release times go, we want Genie and Genie+ to roll out first, so we know exactly what rules are in place around usage. My guess is that we don’t yet know all the rules, and some of them will change within a month of starting.

30 Likes

Thanks for all the work you and your team do with all of this. Especially since the pandemic hit, you - like the rest of the world - have faced change after change after change. And yet it seems like you’re always right there ready to implement the next necessary thing to keep the product working well for us end-users. It’s so appreciated!

20 Likes

This is something I hadn’t even considered, but it makes so much sense. Genie will drive the plan, and Genie plus will say, “if you don’t want to wait in that line, we’ve got LL for you!”

Please also know I don’t mean to throw shade about MaxPass and the DLR app. I can’t imagine the complexity of a program that does what TP does, and also has to factor in the pace at which LL are being distributed in order to predict best use of LL, when you should grab one and what that return time will most likely be.

Feels like you are working against multiple uncertainty principles as us little particles move through the parks.

3 Likes