Genie launched - start date Oct 19th

On the lower right, you can see a header that says “Multiple Options” and text that says something like, “get ready to join a queue (!!) for one of your top picks” That leads me to believe its less an itinerary than a push / pull notification for when something in this list is available / not a two hour wait. That would also explain the limit of 8 I think.

Big caveat, we don’t know how final these screens are. There’s a long way to go until October. I would be surprised if this thing ever mentions a queue.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I believe Genie will be! You’re gonna give it a few “Favorites” and any time the wait on one of those is less than “XX” minutes you’ll get a notification… That’s about the amount of “planning” it’s going to do… (again…just my guess)

2 Likes

So is the assumption that genie+ is only going to let u ride something one time? I mean besides you doing stand by

3 Likes

Now you’re making me think about how to game the Genie. If I give it fewer preferences, will it send me to where I actually want to go, while distributing crowds on all the rides I didn’t want to deal with (but would be fine with riding later)?

3 Likes

The first thing I thought of when I read the first announcement from Disney is that every one of my go to websites for Disney info would now spend all their time “gaming the Genie.” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When we have gone to Universal we’ve always felt that the Express was necessary and worth getting. Yeah, it sucked it wasn’t any good on the Hagrid Motorbike Ride but for everything else it made a difference for us.

1 Like

THAT is going to be a non-starter for a lot of us with kids. I can understand not being able to pick the same ride as the next ride but if you can’t come back to that ride and get the LL that’s going to tick a lot of people off.

1 Like

Perhaps I’m naive, but the current perk seems much less than previously for on-site stays. Before, I had to wait 30- days out vs 60 for staying offsite, but due diligence has always gotten us what we wanted at the end. And I would still prefer the old system as the G+ takes so much away from advanced planning and allows for so much more uncertainty.

But as for the G+, let’s say we can’t use G+ until 8 am as opposed to 7 as we are offsite. Well, it is 90 minutes until someone can get another G+. Chances are they will rope drop and then go to their G+ selection. Some dedicated park- goers may sneak in 2 reservations before my one, but that isn’t a big deal for me.

And with fear of sounding like a broken record, an 800 sf 1-bedroom deluxe Dis property rented with DVC points vs a 1,200 sf condo across the way at the Marriott world resort with a superior pool experience is nearly $2,000 cheaper over a week.

While not a fan of the G+, I’m thrilled with an even more level playing field for off- site guests. Not that we would, but we could G+ and max our LL twice a day for our party of four for all five park days and still be over $1,000 to the good.

Anyway I can screw Disney out of a $1 is a good one :grin:. We also enjoy the full kitchens. I know many don’t want to cook on vacation, but it doesn’t bother us so we just end up splitting a couple meals or snacks on park days and whip up some quick meals for the week while we are there.

I dunno, maybe I’m not as bearish as I initially was about G+.

7 Likes

My thought is that it’s one of only 3 actual rides in WS (the other two of which are on the opposite side of WS), it’s close to the IG, it’s tucked away behind France with only one walkway leading in or out, and it’s appealing to all age groups. Doesn’t need to be the best ride Disney ever created, or on par with RotR (the only other BG ride at WDW, correct?) to draw massive crowds, especially at park opening when there’s nothing else to do on that side of WS. :grimacing:

4 Likes

I don’t plan on using that feature unless it’s required. The Genie doesn’t need to know my preferences. But if there is a way to game the system, sure, I’ll try it.

1 Like

Any guesses on whether a travel agent could book LL for their guests at 7AM (so we don’t have to stress while we are on vacation)?

Does anyone think Disney will up their streetmosphere game to compensate for guests who have less access to some of the premium attractions? We go for the experience, not just the rides. I’m hoping Disney will add value in other non-ride areas that enhance the overall experience, but maybe I’m an eternal optimist.

4 Likes

I think they’d need access to your MDE to book anything.
But if they had that I’m sure they could.

1 Like

Thanks. I looked into renting a scooter for the whole trip and it looks like we can get a portable one that breaks down and we can fit in the trunk of an Uber. Prices for our trip are ranging from 175 (Apple scooter) 216 (scooter bug) and 260 (Buena vista scooters). They deliver to the hotel which is great. The scooter bug one comes with an extra battery which might be key. Anyone have stories to share about these companies? I’m going between scooter bug and buena vista.

ETA I just found a mousesavers link that made it 211 for buena vista. Going with them.

Welcome to the forum! @ninjasherrie and @OBNurseNH have your agencies said anything about being able to book for clients?

1 Like

I hope so. I’m worried the app will make me turn on “location services” and my TA isn’t in the hotel. I don’t mind giving my TA my MDE log in etc. That’s part of why I use her.

2 Likes

All we got in today’s Disney webinar was " more details will be released soon."

That said, I don’t think it would be a problem to do it. The in app purchase thing does give me some pause though. There’s some liability there.

3 Likes

You would be making a purchase with your clients money? Yeah, that could be a concern.

1 Like

Yeah to buy the single LL+ passes and day of G+, it’s an in app purchase.

I take client card info all the time to process payments - but through a secure webpage with terms and conditions clearly stated. Buying something in a clients account through the app feels risky. I’m not sure how i’d feel about that.

4 Likes

“Alright! I got both 7dmt and … a new Lexus? Huh. Didn’t realize that was even a ride. Must be one of those new rides!”

6 Likes

I know you’re being funny, but my concern is like - if client asks for Ride A, and it’s not available so I get Ride B, and they decide they don’t like it or they just get upset about the system in general, they could dispute the charge on the grounds that they didn’t authorize that purchase. Then I’m in hot water.

4 Likes