Genie launched - start date Oct 19th

I was thinking a lot about this yesterday. My initial reaction to this after our summer trip was “whatever, take whatever money you want, I am never standing in multiple 60 minute unshaded lines again”.

We’ve gone from 4 day trips from our first trip to 8 day trips, largely because of Fastpass tiering. If we wanted to do SDD and RNRR, we need two days at HS. If we wanted to do all the more popular rides at MK, we need two days. However - if I can just buy access to the headliners, will I really need two days at HS? Or 8 days at Disney at all? I can probably save a ton of money by buying these upgrades and shortening our trip by a day or two!

Some reactions to the LL choices:

• My son and I are not roller coaster people, so I’ll never need to pay extra for space mountain or Everest (I’m assuming SM will become Tron shortly)
  • My daughter loves Everest single rider line, so not sure we’ll ever buy that
  • We are BC/YC/BCV fans now, and rope dropping Epcot is pretty easy. Plus, our kids went to Epcot EVERY NIGHT in our last trip (daughter did single rider of TT four times in an hour) so not sure we would necessarily use this?
  • I would pay any amount of money to not wait in the FOP line or ROTR line again, especially after waiting 30 min in the rain on Friday
4 Likes

I won’t say never, but I will do everything I can not to purchase G+. I can see a lot of frustration coming to those that expect it to work like the older systems.

Imagine paying for G+, selecting your first ride of the day, and it shows up at 8pm. That would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

3 Likes

I’m sure someone posted that you can see the times before buying it. And if that did happen I’d go straight to Guest Services and ask for a refund. I’m pretty sure Disney won’t want that happening.

Like happens at DLP, I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t do “drops” of Genie+ passes, and also,ILL$, to avoid that kind of bad publicity.

3 Likes

I’m kind of the same, and also echoing what @tpielech said.

We’ll get it some days, maybe not all. DH and I at least will try the early entry thing, and we’ll use the extended hours if they’re still happening.
But certainly for every MK and DHS day.

But I’ll just buy the ILL$ for RotR and FoP on those park days. Probably MMRR too unless we do get everyone there to do it first. And Tron too, maybe even 7dmt.

I know I said early on there would likely be no re-rides, but I don’t like it. I guess I thought there would be tiers like at DLP old style, where you could get an unlimited option. For youngest DS who really doesn’t ride many rides, it would have been good if he could just get repeat passes for things like Speedway, Jungle Cruise, PP etc.

1 Like

We have a short trip, first time in over 10 years I’ll have been in HS or AK, first time my husband has been in 20 years. So this is sort of our once in a lifetime. It’s postponed from 2020.

We scheduled a vip tour to get in all the rides and not leave with regrets, but these offerings sort of change that. Do we just buy ILL for each day and skip the tour? Do we buy nothing and have our non tour days be pretty limited because lines are out of control? Will the LL lanes be 20 min waits like old FP was and make our tour not at all efficient/worth it? We’ll have basically a week of data from you all to decide. Very interested to see how this goes.

That would be great. I did start this one for advice and articles directly from Touring Plans. It has suggestions for every park. I’m sure I’ll be sharing more here when they get published:

3 Likes

Complete opposite my next trip in November

Heading down for D23- this will take up most of my day - with the old system I would have booked my 3 FP for rides I want to do after 5 pm…

Now with the new system if I am reading this correctly I purchase @ 7am and it will only show next available? No way to accommodate in advance for other activities like ADRs ect…

2 Likes

It’s going to be a gong show. Almost every time I used MDE this trip, I had to kill the app! My friend to - so it is both an iPhone & Android thing.

Thankful for the Lines App, as it was much easier to open that up and check wait times than MDE.

Plus the wifi is awful.

2 Likes

IT fails is the main reason I think it’s bad practice to rely on getting ILL in your touring plan. If they go fast, like fop and rotr likely will. It’ll be ADRs but while you’re in the park. The frustration of planning the trip while I’m on the trip is going to be the worst part of this for me.

3 Likes

I’d planned to be at MK on the 19th and I’m kind of thinking we just go with being guinea pigs and get it for this trip, at least for some days (it’s the first one back with my parents since they came with us in 2017 and my dad can’t stand well for long times anymore). I don’t really want to move days around given other plans that we have for the trip, so I think we’re just going to have to see how it goes? If it was just my family of 4 I don’t think I’d necessarily get it this trip, but thinking differently this time given my parents will be with us too.

1 Like

That’s exactly where I am with cash stays. Unless I find a great deal on a travel site I don’t plan on staying on site without using my points.

:joy::joy:

5 Likes

First, I just have to say that when I google “genie plus,” the first two results have to do with Disney. The next several results are related to…

:rofl:

So instead of relying on Google, I’ll just ask my question here:

Do we have clarity on when we can book G+ passes for a park other than the one you have an APR for? So, say I want to hop to MK in the afternoon on a day that I have an AK APR. When can I start booking G+ for MK?

And could we potentially hold passes for multiple parks at the same time? Using the example above, could I book G+ for mid-morning at AK, wait the two hours, and then book one for MK, potentially before having used my AK pass?

Sorry if these questions have been answered already! It’s tough to sort through what we know for sure and what is just speculation at this point!

4 Likes

I suspect you and I could tour together anytime.

I just laid out my G+ vs ILLS itinerary and it is G+ everyday except the first one, when we won’t arrive at AK until 2 hours before closing.

For ILLS:

FOP on both AK days.
ROTR on one HS day, RD on the other.
MMRR on both HS days (figured I would RD ROTR for free because it is more expensive)

This would be my max usage. It comes out to $134 per person (there are 3 of us). I crossed that desert party off my list and now I am at Disney getting $60 more from me.

However, I am going on CL9 and 10 days, so it is a no brainer for me.

2 Likes

That will be up to you to follow and watch for. It will be a PITA but doable.

:joy::joy:

I don’t think we have clarity on anything much.

2 Likes

I can’t say eith 100% certainty, but you should be able to do this.

I suspect if you have a park hopper, you can book whenever and wherever you want. But, you won’t be able to use anything booked at a different park until after 2pm.

2 Likes

Your right! We are going to be there a few days before the new Genie system kicks in and fortunately we a been blessed to go many times before this trip.
So I’ll just hang with our original schedule and find a bar if things pivot in a direction that may cause stress. We have all our dining set (including Space 220) so no matter what surprises head our way, we’ll just be fired up to be there.

2 Likes

We will be at the same park on the 19th and I am considering not doing Genie Plus but doing FOP $$ and EE standbye. It’s my daughters 21st Birthday so if she decides to move from the Dawa Bar, I may have to reconsider my plan…that being said Ill let you know how it works out without Genie Plus on that day.

1 Like
  1. Whenever you want to, and when the times start showing that you could make. No point booking one at 7am for MK because you’ll get a time before 2pm. But once the times shown are for after 2pm then you can book.
  2. I don’t see why not.
1 Like