Genie - Initial Impressions

I think what they were doing was all for later in the afternoon. So, a NEW 2-hour window started every time.

1 Like

first, I just skimmed the xxxx posts since I last looked. Overheard a conversation between a CM and guest in AK:
CM: are you using LL and Genie +
Guest: yes, but it wouldn’t let me load/select anything until I was in the park at 0805.
CM: oh, that’s odd you should be able to purchase it at 0700
Guest: well, I’m not staying on Disney property so I don’t think I’m allowed to do that.

take it for what it’s worth. I didn’t use it at all today… or rather I didn’t purchase anything. I watched the wait times on MDE and that worked great for me today in AK.

4 Likes

Ok my husband puts up with A LOT of Disney talk and has even picked up on a good amount of lingo and planning strategies, however……when I tried to explain LL and ILLs to him today he basically short circuited. The layers of genie, genie+, LL (the the actual physical lane at the park), LL selections, and ILLS, and the interaction between them including timing issues, it was honestly too much for me and WAAAAAAAY too much for him. Any sense of how this will work for the average visitor? Will they just ignore it? Will the app explain about the timing (when you book 7/park open, spacing between rides, etc) Will people glaze over and give up like my husband??

5 Likes

Disney admitting that their wait times are inflated:

7 Likes

Do You Need to Stay at a Disney World Hotel for the BEST Pay-Per-Ride Choices?

By Rachel Franko Leave a Comment

Today has already been pretty overwhelming as we welcome the arrival of the new Disney Genie system in Disney World!

©Disney

There’s the free Genie tip board in the My Disney Experience app, with suggestions for helping you plan out your day. If you want to really maximize your schedule, you can purchase the Disney Genie+ add-on to skip the standby lines for attractions and use the new Lightning Lanes. But if you want to use Lightning Lanes on some of Disney World’s most popular rides, you’ll need to purchase access individually — and Disney Resort guests get an advantage!

The following 8 rides (2 in each park) are on the list of pay-per-ride Individual Attraction Selections. For these, you can use the standby line (or the virtual queue for Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure) OR you can pay the individual price to use the Lightning Lane. They are NOT included with your purchase of Disney Genie+:

I found this video quite informative and interesting, gives some idea of the usability of G+ and LL purchases:

6 Likes

That would only be true if HS opens at 7am. The two hours starts once the park opens. If at 7am you get a 3pm SDD and HS opens at 9am, you need to wait until 11am to make another genie+ selection.

6 Likes

6 Likes

5 Likes

That’s pretty bad.

Just like FPP, looks like MK is going to be the best bang for your buck with Genie+.

4 Likes

By the way, I think we can just call it LL (rather than LL vs. ILL, etc.), and everyone will just have to memorize which ones you have to pay for individually, or understand from context.

e.g., “Right at 7am, I bought a LL for RotR, then booked a LL for SDD. Later, we rode ToT and TSM using LL.”

4 Likes

So here’s a question. My APR is Epcot, which opens at 11am. I’m park hopping to MK late afternoon. Before the park opens, I book 11:30am for Soarin. MK opens at 9am. Would I be able to book an MK attraction for late afternoon, if available, at 11am since MK will be open for 2 hours?

Having same problem.

Yes! I discovered that too and posted over on a different Facebook page. Works like a charm! Tonight I tried it with MFSR around 6:30. Took about 30 refreshes in about a minute to get an 8:20 to pop after distribution was done.

2 Likes

Yes, you can - you have to wait 2 hours after park open or 2 hours after you book it to book another.

This is only if you can’t use the LL before the 2 hours is up!

The TP YouTube update today said you could book your second park but it will not show you any times before 2

4 Likes

Same here :rofl:

He said, you figure it out for us, and don’t spend too much money!

4 Likes

So on its first day, what sold out? RoTR, Remy, anything else?

I believe that you can buy Genie+ for a given day as soon as the day begins - like 12:00:01 - and not have one more thing to do at 7 AM.

3 Likes