Genie+ change speculation

The worst part is waiting for rides to get into your wanted window. It can take forever for Splash to get into an after 5 window for example. High demand rides like Jungle/Jingle Cruise will get there quickly but you might not be able to book another for an amazingly long time…

That’s where I really miss the ability to choose a time slot for a ride like we could with FP+ when you could line up a 5/6/7 slot. Now you have to wait until your ride finally gets in the window and then hope you can book. Forces you to constantly monitor all day which is not a great time…

5 Likes

I’m sorry. What are you referring to?

Yes. The ability to choose a later return time like $ILL would be a big improvement to G+.

One workaround to the issue you raised is to book rides in order of their selling out - Becky Gandillon has some articles about this.

3 Likes

I think they could easily solve it by allowing resort guests to book their first ride for every day they are there 1 week in advance and choose the return time…This would eliminate 2 MAJOR flaws

3 Likes

Ok. I think I found what you are referring to and I disagree. Prior to 2014 WDW utilized a FP system that did not lock people in to preselected rides.

I am unapologetically in favor of a trip that rewards early risers. I have six kids so I don’t buy the kid won’t get up thing. I think it’s up to the parent to determine if their kid is ready for WDW.

1 Like

That’s ok for you, but not 90%+ of the people that attend WDW…less than 10% rope drop every day at the parks…So WDW is alienating 90%+ of their guests

2 Likes

It’s fine to disagree with me about liking it - but they literally DID it from 1999-2014.

2 Likes

And now that my kids are grown (and yours will be too someday!!) I don’t appreciate being “punished” for not getting up early on my vacation. I did plenty of years of early rising.

And let’s don’t forget the milliions of visitors each year who don’t even have children with them

5 Likes

That’s fair. But I was addressing that it couldn’t be done bc of kids.

I will never sleep on vacation - any kind of vacation - so I loved FP and MaxPass and strongly prefer it.

And it’s not like I’m suggesting something out of the box. They literally used that system for almost 15 years. And we visited a lot in those years.

3 Likes

I rope drop the post office, the DMV, etc.
I’m the proverbial early bird!

4 Likes

Meanwhile, I did not visit at all in those years :slight_smile:

I am only familiar with FPP and Genie+

So to me that’s a huge step backward and is a bit out of the box.

1 Like

I canceled our 2014 trip because I was so disgusted with having to pre-select my rides. The good news is, it allowed me to visit Seaworld and Busch Gardens, which we had never done as a family.

When I finally was willing to do fastpass plus in 2016, it was with the kind of hacks that upset some people here.

When all is said and done WDW isn’t likely to take my preferences into consideration. So y’all are fine.

1 Like

My point was, the guest satisfaction numbers are low because of this…The majority of people do not rope drop…It’s too bad they can’t figure out how to cater to both

4 Likes

I’m with you. Theme parks have always rewarded early risers, and with G+, only one person needs to get up. A lot easier than herding the fam for RD.

2 Likes

I don’t have a trip on the horizon, and by the time I do there will be plenty of hacks available for whatever system they develop.

And I’ll be sure to RD.

I’ve never seen it cited that only 10% show up at rope drop.

1 Like

But if you do that, you are likely to miss the best rides and when you travel that far and are there for a limited number of days, thats not an option (and neither is waiting in line for 2 hours)

1 Like

This is my concern too. Not buying a package or anything - our tickets are booked - I would buy. But having to learn a new system or rules so quickly.

Just a guestimate…What do you think the number is? MK averages 50k people per day I bet there’s no more than 5k people there before official park opening (and I bet i’m high on that number of 5k)

1 Like

This is the problem with any system Disney comes up with…there will always be some group unhappy with it. I hated the paper FP system in the old days. So much running around and trying to grab a FP without knowing when the next time would be available meant you ended up either forgoing the FP altogether, or you ended up with a day going back and forth across the park. It was exhausting.

The FP+ system fixed that issue, but now was more restrictive and not nearly as nice for those who didn’t like to preplan things.

G+ at first was a hot mess. It is better now, but the pricing and inability to easily plan a day particularly for Park Hoppers is still a big problem. Booking specific times, a la FP+, however, will start causing a virtual stampede of people filling up slots. It could probably be managed, but it is a tricky endeavor.

I don’t have a one size fits all suggestion, though. Can’t make everyone happy!

5 Likes

Unlike other sites that are mired in chants of Bald Man Bad, on TP, we have the data :slight_smile:

There are only 2 G+ rides that sometimes sell out prior to park open, and there are many workarounds.

3 Likes