Gators

Been there, ate that. Once. I’m a pretty adventurous eater, but I have my limits…

1 Like

Mac n’ cheese has been around since the beginnings of our nation. We even sing about it:

Yankee Doodle went to town
Riding on a pony
Stuck a feather in his cap
And called it macaroni

I don’t need to explain to the smart people here that the cheese is implied.

2 Likes

Lutefisk is a Swedish thing.

Please don’t blame Norwegians. :grin:

4 Likes

My family just took a tour of Monticello in February, and the tour guide claimed that Thomas Jefferson introduced two favorite dishes to the States from France: macaroni and cheese, and vanilla ice cream. Sounds crazy but the tour guides seemed to only give info that had been thoroughly researched, and TJ wrote crazily detailed daily journals so it seems possible.

1 Like

I love chips and gravy. I love cheesy chips. It’s the combination that makes me feel a bit queasy. It’s just wrong.

1 Like

^^this

1 Like

And it’s this attitude, still displayed by the Brits after all these years, which forced the saner among you to break off and start this great nation where good foods, alone or together, can be enjoyed for generations.

It had nothing to do with religion.

2 Likes

Wait!

You’re saying it was all about food? Wasn’t it about being forced to drink tea? :wink:

1 Like

At those prices? You betcha tea was involved too!

2 Likes

Well why did they dump it in the river then? Eh?
Why not just sell it on the black market? Ya see, they didn’t think that through properly!

2 Likes

The problem with that interpretation is the song Yankee Doodle was originally a song by the British mocking the Americans. And “macaroni” was not a reference to food, but a fashion style of the day.

:confused:

I think we know they at least kept some for themselves. :wink:

1 Like

Ah, but was the penguin named after the fashion style, or was the fashion style named after the penguin?

1 Like

Hmm. I’m sure there’s a joke in there somewhere. I just don’t get the reference. (I’m not sure what penguins have to do with anything. Perhaps I’m just daft.)

1 Like

I don’t get it either.

We can be daft together! :wink:

1 Like

The macaroni penguin is the one with the tufted hair.

2 Likes

Ah. Okay. Well, looking it up quickly, the penguin was named after the fashion statement!

So we were basically telling you guys that you had no fashion sense then? Seems entirely reasonable to me! :rofl:

The colour orange was named after the fruit and not the other way round.

But shame on @ryan1 for bringing facts into the discussion!

1 Like