Gaston's Gallop: A RunDisney Trip Report (11/5-11/9/21)

I was also just reminded of a rude guest story when going back through my pictures from the day before. When we were in the queue for PPF, it was crowded, lots of people around, a CM asked this guy to put his mask on over his nose. His response was to yell out “[something something I can’t remember] YOU F#$@*@# MORON!” The poor CM… I could feel her shock from 20 feet away. Her eyes were bulging out of her head and she managed to say “Please sir, do not yell.” She was almost trembling. And this guy was there with family, including a young (4-6 yo) girl. Insane…

1 Like

What a :poop:. So rude.

1 Like

That’s awful. Security should have been there within minutes to kick his disgusting ass out of the park. There’s no excuse for behaviour like that.

4 Likes

The first character stop was Cruella, then a Haunted Mansion tableau, and then a Robin Hood theme started for miles 2-3 as we went by the Poop Factory. Saw the Sheriff and Prince John. They were playing Robin Hood music, like Oo-de-lally, over a PA system over much of this stretch, probably to distract us from the lovely smells in that area. The atmosphere all along the course was awesome, there were very few lulls in entertainment/distraction.

After Mile 3 was an awesome DJ set up with a large screen array that was showing Vader scenes while playing some SW main themes. Then it shifted to Hercules as we saw Pain and Pain as they were heading inside their RV for a break, then Hades. Can’t remember exactly where this was but we were in AK at this point. I stopped at the bathrooms outside of the FOTLK theater, changed since I was completely warmed up and actually hot, then we made our way through Pandora, in front of the TOL and up through Asia where we saw members of the Adventurers Club, around the ROL theater, through Dinoland, and out a back exit next to the Primeval Whirl graveyard.

14 Likes

Mile 6 was in the AK parking lot, where we also saw Kronk. Time was 615a-ish. The next few miles were the worst, being straight highway. But the sun was starting to come up and gave us some beautiful views. There was a truck DJ, Lady Tremaine and Drizella, Hook and Smee, and a Green Army Man over the next few miles heading to HS.

This is also where we were given some Honey Stinger energy chews. I forgot to mention this, and only runners will appreciate it, but I made the biggest mistake of my (short) running career this morning: I forgot my GUs at the room! I had trained with 1 per 3 miles for long runs, so I wasn’t sure how I’d manage. But I was still feeling good at this point, and those Honey Stingers helped me get to the end.

IMG_1507

Mile 10 was at our entrance to HS, and Lotso was stationed nearby. Quick trip in this park, just like the 10k. In a back gate by Fantasmic, by ToT and down Sunset Blvd to the BaTB theater, then left out another gate that dumps out by security. This was 650a-ish.

Between HS and EP we followed the walking path to Boardwalk. Saw an Yzma DJ and the Queen of Hearts. Then we were through the IG across the bridge to France and went CCW around WS to the front, then by SE and out near the front entrance. We saw Jafar, and Honest John and Gideon. They saved the best villain for the last mile marker (Mile 13): Gaston! That got me going the last 500 feet to the finish line.

IMG_1533

This was a much better race than the 10k. Not being wet was the key. I was also less concerned about running at a certain pace, and enjoyed the course entertainment more. I finished in 2:24:25, which is only a minute slower than my last half in January 2020. That says a lot because although I didn’t get the COVID-19, I did get the COVID 30 [pats now-large belly]. So I’m running just as fast despite the extra baggage. I’m sure my knees and ankles are loving me!

We crossed the finish line at 724a, waited a while for a bus (one left right when we got there), showered/changed at Pop, and Skyliner’d over to HS, arriving at 830a.

17 Likes

14 Likes

When we arrived at HS, people were still running, but it was getting to the end. Since we used the Skyliner, we had to cross the course to get into the park. There was one spot to do this. The way this works is there is an “island” in the middle of the course, and the course volunteers force the runners down one side while pedestrians cross the other side, and after the island is full of people, they switch to running the other side and pedestrians cross the other. I drew a simple schematic, but also including a pic.

B trusted me on the touring plan stuff, and I recommended we repeat what I did during my 50th trip - rope drop Sunset Blvd. We had a LL$$$$ for ROTR and LL$ for Slinky Dog, and figured we could SR MFSR if we couldn’t manage a good LL time for that one. So we were heading down Sunset Blvd with practically nobody else. Near ToT, we saw the “balloon ladies”, which are the unofficial course time limit pace group. If runners are behind them, they can get picked up by race staff if they choose to do so. This crew is on bikes, and are mainly focused on safety. The pace requirement for RunDisney is 16 min/mile, which is a fast walk. Not difficult if you work up to it.

Not sure why, but a ToT CM was running alongside the last of the runners, some Sanderson Sisters fans.

ToT at 845a, then RnRC (not SR line) at 911a. Walked on to both.

My body was not ready for these two rides back-to-back. I should have eaten something (we planned to eat breakfast afterwards), and was not re-hydrated. So when I got off RnRC, I was 90% sure I was going to puke. We took a 5 minute break on some benches right outside the building exit. Fortunately, the cold air outside made a huge difference and the nausea was gone pretty quickly. I was actually feeling great by the time we were walking back down Sunset Blvd towards Toy Story Land, so I stopped for my favorite beverage. Schofferhofer #1. I was looking forward to this for most of the half marathon, and was one of the things that got me through the last few miles. YUMMMMMMMM

13 Likes

Our plan was to ride TSMM and get breakfast at Woody’s Lunchbox. The line looked pretty long for TSMM, but I convinced B that it would only be like 15 minutes based on the Lines app. It ended up being like 20, but there is so much to look at in that queue it was not a problem. B was the winner of this round, and we were leaving around 10a. Our Woody’s mobile order return time was still 15 minutes away, so we walked into SW:GE for a few minutes. B wanted to take in the details (they skipped it on their last family trip), and I wanted some blue milk. With rum. Did I mention that I ran a half marathon this morning? I deserve alcohol.

We went back to Woody’s to pick up our breakfast (really lunch on our body’s timelines), around 1015a and ate the most delicious egg scramble I’ve ever had. I’m a sucker for good gravy, and this was great.

After we scarfed the food, we sat for a bit, then headed back to Sunset Blvd to see the first showing of BatB at 11a. Keeping with tradition, I got another Schofferhofer. That’s #2.

We were feeling tired, and had early evening return times for ROTR, MFSR, and SDD, so we spent the rest of the afternoon sitting in a few places. B does not do commando-style touring like me. Tomorrow will be different. Saw Muppets 3D (1150a) and Frozen sing-a-long (1220p), then relaxed in the Animation Courtyard area for like an hour. There is a great quiet spot beyond the Little Mermaid theater to the left of Launch Bay, I think it is the exit to the One Man’s Dream theater. We ate a late lunch/snack at the HBD Lounge (Cobb salad, yum!) around 230p after having been on the walk-up list for about 45 minutes. Pluto was playing on the lawn next to the HBD, playing fetch with a big bone.

11 Likes

That “fill the island” thing is brilliant! People are smart sometimes.

Great job on another race! I’m not sure if I’m more impressed that you do all this running or that you drink so much alcohol right after (and right after RNRC at that! :joy:). But yes, you deserve it!

5 Likes

While it is pretty amazing and it works great, I can tell you from experience that if there’s a lot of people trying to cross (think middle of FW trying to go from Soarin to TT 30 min after park open), it takes FOREVER! I think we waited almost 20 min to get across. It’s fun to see the runners go by though!

3 Likes

After hanging out at the HBD lounge for a bit, we walked over to SW:GE and finished looking at everything there. The marketplace area, Ronto Roasters, Dok Ondars, Droid Depot, decided to skip Oga’s, then the character spots where we watched some storm troopers interacting with the crowd for a few minutes. Then we were on SDD at 410p, MFSR at 425p (we were pilots), and ROTR at 440p. What a way to finish the Studios.

Next we headed to Epcot since B could get in after 500p with his W&D After Party ticket.

12 Likes

Were these all LL / ILL? Or did you wait standby for any of them? Looks like LL wait times but just wanted to check.

1 Like

Stacked all 3 almost completely overlapping. B was nervous we wouldn’t make it to ROTR but we were fine

2 Likes

I didn’t get to see past here…so bummed I missed Lotso, but glad I get to see the rest of the course through your photos.

So these ladies walked most of the course…they were a heck of a trio of power walkers. They just chatted the whole way, very talkative and friendly! But between bathroom breaks and run/walk…we passed each other a few times. When they passed by me at mile 8 is when I knew I was done for.

I heard on the course - from a few different people that if you can stay ahead of them at least to mile 11, they won’t pull you if the balloon ladies pass you after that - as long as you’re doing okay and still steadily moving forward. Don’t know if that’s true or not.
Once the balloon ladies went by me, one of the bikes told me I had until the next mile marker to get back in front of them. They strategically place the pickup buses and a bike will stay with you to that point…then pull you. I had a medical bike with me, but the guy behind me just had one of the safety folks keeping him company.

8 Likes

My goodness, man! I wholly identify with the empty stomach motion sickness but would have brought that 90 straight on up to 100% if I was handed a cup of fruity yeast. Good for you!

And obviously, congrats on a great finish and thanks for taking us with you! I only run if I’m being chased but the characters and views make me think, for a hot second, about doing a RunDisney event.

5 Likes

:face_vomiting:

4 Likes

I had to lay on the floor of the Boneyard for a good hour delicately sipping a frozen coke (no rum!!) in order to recover from my ill-fated first FOP run.

4 Likes

Aside from my fat calves that is another reason I don’t ride FoP and also don’t visit universal. Motion sickness is the worst.

3 Likes

Ok I was JUST getting excited to visit Universal lol.

2 Likes

You’ll be fine unless you ride the Simpsons. The Simpsons and Mission Space are the only 2 rides that put me down for the count. ToT and Guardians in DL are pretty close too.

4 Likes