Galactic Starcruiser Discounts

Looks like Disney is trying to entice visitors to SW:GSC by e-mailing DVC members a 30% promo offer.

Looks like there’s a lot of Q1 2023 availability!

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/star-wars-galactic-starcruiser

5 Likes

I figured discounts were inevitable, with many recent cruises not even coming close to filling up, and Disney reducing services and experiences offered. It will start with DVC, but I expect other discounts will follow suit for the general public soon enough.

1 Like

Maybe AP discount offers or Disney Visa card holders before the general public

2 Likes

Yes. I actually meant to say that, but… didn’t!

1 Like

I got the email too. I’m toying with booking for September, this makes me want to wait and see.

1 Like

Edited - forgot to deduct 30%… So the lowest points for the min of two people (or “solo”) at lowest point period is 564 points, discounted to 394.8 - if I rented those points out ( I have Boardwalk) I would get about $7,106.40

2 Likes

so it’s more points than out of pocket? because we paid $6K for two people.

3 Likes

ISWYDT

4 Likes

Typically with anything not resorts based that you can use points on you’re better off renting and pocketing the cash because you get hosed on using points.

3 Likes

Your math is similar to what Scott Gustin worked out (he did the math for the 1st adult only).

2 Likes

Yep, just wanted to put a dollar sign on it.

1 Like

That’s sad news! What are they reducing? I really enjoyed our trip but if they start hacking off parts of it, how can it be a unique and worth it experience?

My thoughts were that they create and rotate thru different story lines to make it re-doable. I know it has some re-rideability in that you can choose different paths but the main story elements remaining the same does not make it worth that price over and over. However, if there were different story lines, I could see people (with lots of disposable income) willing to re-up. But taking away experiences/services makes that far less likely, and they’ve already reduced the number of people who can do this by its price tag so it would seem like they’d want to entice the people with that income to come back.

Which has to suck for the passengers who do go. The experience must lose something, no? (Or maybe it’s way better with lots more personal attention from the cast?)

1 Like

I don’t think it would lose anything. Less crowded would be better for more character interaction. The passengers don’t really help you in any way. It’s pretty personal experience.

1 Like

I don’t remember all the details…I read about it a week or two ago…but I know they, for example, went from two dining times to one because they didn’t want to have to pay the wait staff and cooks. There was only a single performance by Gaya, which was otherwise considered a highlight for many who had done it before.

I also read about how Disney was having trouble KEEPING wait staff, etc., because they weren’t making enough from tips due to a smaller number of guests, which means they were becoming more understaffed.

What I don’t know is how bad it is in general…meaning, is this a “most cruises” problem now, or just a “select cruises” problem. Regardless, it is showing a downward trend in Disney being able to book guests as they were doing initially.

2 Likes

I guess I was thinking it might lose atmosphere. Like an empty restaurant.

1 Like

ummmm I didn’t find it overcrowded even in the major show moments, but it was full. I don’t think it being less full would be an issue by half but yeah, if it was just a handful of folks that might not make it as fun.

1 Like

that’s sad. it is overpriced though but it’s unique and a lot of fun too. I’ve done a lot of things and I’ve never done anything like that. I wasn’t particularly interested in Gaya but she does perform at one of the dinners and then in the atrium so yes that is a hit for the guest. There was so much to do when I was there you couldn’t do it all (which is the only thing that would give it re-rideability) so if they cut too much they for sure won’t have repeat customers.

1 Like

Using DVC points for non DVC resorts is always more expensive than cash.

The points cost for one person with the discount would get you a week in a 1-bedroom at most DVC resorts.

When they start to offer a 25% discount on cash rates, then I’ll start getting excited.

1 Like

That right there is the catch- it’s a points deduction only

If DVC eligible memberships were offered a 30% cash discount we probably would have booked…
This was an experience we really really wanted to do.

3 Likes