Future World during COVID

My niece loves all of the games and stuff after the rides in Future World, so I’m wondering how much of it is currently available? I’m trying to plan for our Epcot days, but it’s hard without knowing how much time to give to those spaces.

Pretty much everything you have to touch has been closed, including the in-line activities, as well as after ride.

The truth is, it is an unnecessary measure, but one Disney is keeping for precaution.

3 Likes

In other words, no point in budgeting any time for those spaces then.

I know it seems unnecessary to those of us who are conscious of the need to sanitize our hands all the time, but even now there are people who aren’t. On our October trip there was a guy in line who kept pulling down his mask so he could bite his nails, and when he took his hand directly from his mouth and put it on the handrail (without even a courtesy wipe on the pants) my friend (who has zero chill) was like “Dude… your mask only works if you keep it on your face. You just had your fingers in your mouth and now you’re touching things.”

4 Likes

It is pretty much been shown that fomites are NOT a source of transmission. Early on, they weren’t sure.

And they have always been pretty certain you can’t catch COVID from what goes in your mouth (unless you are inhaling it). The virus, like many airborne viruses, can’t survive the digestive track.

Spread from “touch” has always been hypothetical, and only from contact with eyes and perhaps nose. Even those aren’t likely.

4 Likes

Breaking news…
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/4/20-3631_article

They are definitely still strongly encouraging hand washing and surface cleaning.

2 Likes

I mean my son once got Scarlet Fever from Disneyland and it took 4 months, IV antibiotics, hospitalizations and surgery to fix. So still don’t want people touching their mouths and then the bars. I think keeping a hand sanitizer on a clip and using it regularly should just stick around for all the yucky illnesses.

3 Likes

I worked at an amusement park when hand sanitizer really became a thing, and we were early adopters for sure. People drool/spit during rides all the time, which is also a big argument for masks at theme parks.

1 Like

Or any crowded places. Games, events, nightclubs.

3 Likes

The whole study is predicated on the assumption that is hypothetical…that is that the virus can be caught by touching eyes or nose. That is the part that is being doubted and not shown. It has simply been assumed…and I have read why they assume that…because they have found that those with COVID have quantities of the virus in their tears, etc. So all they have shown is that those who already have COVID can potentially touch their eyes and then touch a surface to contaminate it. But that doesn’t demonstrate you can catch it from fomites…only that fomites persist on surfaces from those who have it.

Since it is difficult to prove a negative, the recommendation to sanitize persists as a precaution, not because there have been any known cases of spread this way.

And in fact, other studies have shown that kids in schools have not been catching COVID from each other, but from their teachers! That is to say, when kids have been found to have caught COVID in classrooms (which is fairly rare anyhow), the source is most likely to have originated from the teacher, not the other way around. If fomites were truly a source of spread this would be unlikely the case.

Every single study that has suggested (including this one) that fomites are potentially a source, they always fall back on the assumption that fomites can be a source. It is circular reasoning and bad science. Even this study uses the term “might” to rightfully indicate it is based on such an assumption…an assumption that so far we have no direct evidence for.

1 Like

My daughter got scarlet fever from our March 2020 disney trip. Thankfully we just needed a couple weeks.

I am 100% convinced it was DLR. we were there for 5 days and he got sick two days after we got home and the gestation is 2-5 days. He had the fever first and then the rash. Doctors immediately gave him a shot of penicillin after the quick strep results but it did nothing. The doctors kept telling me no such thing as antibiotic resistant scarlet fever but then while that was happening I read about it occurring in China. He was on multiple antibiotics multiple times, steroids and we did immune disorder testing but his white blood cell count kept getting higher. In the end he lost his uvula along with his tonsils and that seemed to kill it. If you ever see him check out he has no uvula. Lol. It was the size and color of a maraschino cherry and resting in his mouth on his tongue. The doctors had never seen anything like it and they all would go get their colleagues to come check it out. We have a pic somewhere. But my point is that four months of hospitalizations and doctor appts and antibiotics could all have been prevented if he wasn’t trying to climb on every bar in the park (adhd and lines don’t work well as I was constantly pulling him off every bar in every line and no one else got sick so convinced it was the bars). Or if he was wearing a mask and washing his hands all the time. Colds and flus and stomach viruses and strep throat suck too and we should learn something from this experience. Mask up more often, hand sanitize more often. I would assume some diseases are spread thru fomites but I’m no doctor. The fact that even his little sister didn’t get sick and she’s never had strep makes me think strep might be one of them and not airborne? I’ll Google.

2 Likes

Omg that sounds miserable. I’m so sorry.

1 Like

Wow. Your son proves the old medical saying, “You never want to be an interesting case.”
Glad everything turned out okay, that must have so frightening.
My son had scarlet fever and we ignored the rash for a couple days thinking it was viral. Which proves another old saying (or at least my saying), “ You never want to be a doctor’s kid.” Cuz the response you’re likely to get from your parents is “Oh, you’re not that sick.”

2 Likes

ha ha…he was pretty sick from the start so I immediately took him to the doctor…the high fever was accompanied by vomiting and complaining of a sore throat. I didn’t think to make him go open his mouth and go “ahhh” but as a dr parent if you’d have done that you’d immediately know something was up when you saw that HUGE red uvula LOL. You wait till theyre older and they always just call you instead of going to the dr. My poor uncle is the doctor in our family and he gets all the family calls.

DS’s always been my weird kid and he’s been cut off from hospitalizations. I’ve made it clear to him he is never to get that weird sick stuff again; he’s hit his lifetime limit. As a doctor you’ll know when I attempt to spell this word what I’m talking about (I did once know how to spell it perfectly)…intussusceptions (nice autocorrect knows this word I think!) He had them three times as an infant and ended up having exploratory abdominal surgery at 3 months old. It took the surgeon, the gastroenterologist and an allergist to figure out their cause (milk protein from the handful of times he got formula like when I had a bad stomach virus). FPIES I believe it is called. Decently rare condition and the fact that it caused the intussusceptions even rarer. He’s just not allowed anymore to be the oddball sick kid LOL.
But because of his weird FPIES, his scarlet fever, and his regular migraines (I was terrified when he described his loss of vision during the first migraine he ever had in 6th grade…I never knew about the auras so when your kid is describing they can’t see out of half of one eye!) His past made me super concerned with his covid vaccine response. Maybe he has an overactive immune system (though his testing came out normal when he had scarlet fever). I still checked on him every couple of hours during the day.

3 Likes

Geez. Your boy is why statistically other kids are healthy. He already got it all!

Lol! Good thing you can laugh about it now. :+1:t2:

2 Likes