Free Afternoon - which resort to visit?

Hi,
My daughter and I are going in a few weeks and the way our scheduling ended up is that we have first day afternoon/evening free. So my question is what would you say are your top resorts to visit and look around? I don’t think we want to be constantly touring, just the ones that give us the most benefit for the time we are able to spend.
Thanks!

1 Like

I would try to walk the Boardwalk area or visit AKL for animal viewing.

We really like Wilderness Lodge - there is a bunch to see in the lobby - wood carvings, to start with. The stone around the fireplace. The gift shop there always seems to have different inventory.
The wooden walkway from the boat dock has Spanish moss overhead which is a little off key to the theming of the lodge but I still always take photos. There is a geyser. And a pool bar with food.

Or there’s the Polynesian with an interesting lobby, more shops, several areas to watch the MK fireworks from. And the electric boat parade (about 9 pm).

I’d probably hang out at WL more in an afternoon while the Polynesian or the Boardwalk - also good - in an evening.

2 Likes

How old is your daughter? Monorail resorts would be good, easy to hop to another once you’ve seen the things you want to see, and can add on Wilderness Lodge if you want to take the boat over.

If you’re interested in animals, AKL can’t be beat.

1 Like

She’s 18. So i’ll probably get more tired walking around than her. LOL

2 Likes

Lounge-hopping at the monorail resorts might be fun - get some snacks and mocktails in between exploring the resorts. Places like Trader Sam’s and Citrico’s lounge have a lot of non-alcoholic options that sound really good.

Animal Kingdom Lodge

If you’re still awake enough, you could also consider grabbing a light dinner and watching the MK Fireworks from either the Poly Beach (Captain Cook’s has great QS) or from the Marina at Grand Floridian (Gasparilla Island Grill also great QS). It’s from a distance so you will not see any projections, but they pipe in the music and the fireworks are still impressive. We’ve done it once at each of those resorts and thought it was a really nice way to start off the trip on travel day.

2 Likes

Both Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge have complimentary scavenger hunts you can pick up at the front desks. AKL has two.

Check the resort activities guides for that day because there may be a program you’d like to attend. (AKL has animal enrichment crafts on Sunday afternoons, for example)

1 Like

Fort Wilderness, if she is into horses

What age are the scavenger hunts for?

1 Like