Fort Wilderness Day Itinerary - WWTPD?

I think I’ve finalized our plans for December (12/13-12/21). We’re (me, DH, DS6, DS8) spending an afternoon/evening at Fort Wilderness (we’re staying at AoA) with my friend and her teenage sons.

1:00 - Pick up golf cart rental, visit horses (unless they’ve been relocated offsite due to construction), visit playground
2:45 - Archery (DS6 turns 7 the week before)
4:30 - Trails End*
5:45 - Tree Lighting
6:30 - Camp Fire Lighting
7:00 - Chip n Dale Campfire Sing Along
8:00 - Looping in our golf cart
10:00 - Fireworks and Electric Water Pageant from beach

I considered returning the golf carts earlier and heading over to WL to see the lobby before watching EWP from Geyser Point. My hesitation is that it’s an extra hop and the fireworks viewing from there is subpar or from a cast member parking lot. However, it is the only deluxe lobby we have yet to see - and to miss it at Christmastime seems wrong.

One possibility is to move the looping to 6-7 and then head over to WL right after the sing along.

WWTPD?

Anything else I’m overlooking? Thank you!

*Dinner was originally planned for HDDR but it overlapped with archery and we’d completely miss the tree lighting.

1 Like

Trails End has always been a kid favorite in our extended family. HDDR is a hoot but it does take up some time.

The Christmas decorating in the loops is amazing.

Is it necessary to rent a golf cart if you want to see all the Christmas wonderfulness? We will have our own car. And is it better to view before or after dark?

This is a great plan. Relaxing and fun!

If you haven’t done so already, you need to reserve the golf carts. I tried to do a walk up rental (not realizing the demand) and there were none. I think they will give preference to guests staying at FW too.

1 Like

what a great idea…i might yry something similar on Halloween. i love WL but have never been when tree was up…I hear it’s amazing. Maybe do that another day and then take ferry to MK?

1 Like

I don’t think you may drive a car around the campgrounds. I may be wrong but I think you will either need to walk, use the buses or arrange a golf cart or a sleigh or wagon ride.

1 Like

Golf carts secured yesterday! I was shocked they still had availability and for two carts.

1 Like

I know it seems weird, but people have to be able to drive to their sites, so I think you can drive a car if you wanted to.

But it’s not nearly as fun as the golf cart!

Does the wagon ride take the same route as the sleigh (we won’t all fit on a sleigh, 3 adults and 3 kids)? And is the golf cart necessary if we do the wagon ride? Will we see enough?

Yes, if you’re staying at FW you may drive your vehicle to and from your camp site. I think that’s it though. Everyone else has to park in the entrance parking lot from what I’ve read. I may be wrong - we don’t bring or rent a car so I haven’t thoroughly investigated - just stuff I’ve read in passing.

Found this on WDW info: In keeping with the wilderness theme, motorized vehicle transportation within the grounds is prohibited unless entering or leaving the resort. Alternatives are bicycles, golf carts, the internal bus system or walking. Supply is limited, but golf carts can be reserved up to one year in advance by calling the Cart Resrvations at [(407) 824-2742](tel:(407) 824-2742).

2 Likes

Golf Cart reserved! :grinning:

1 Like

Answered my own question when I called to reserve the sleigh ride…no, it’s better to do both or just a golf cart. Also, they will accommodate my group of 3 adults and 3 children on one sleigh (one child is a lap child). Oh, and the reservations aren’t open yet for sleigh rides.

1 Like

I think it takes the same route. I had a sleigh ride booked for last December but had to cancel last minute so no first hand knowledge. If you’re planning a visit I highly recommend the camping forum on the disboards. Many of those people are veterans of the fort. Like been going there for 40+ years veterans.

There’s also a rumor that there may not be sleigh rides this year due to the new DVC resort construction (they’re relocating the horses). This rumor is what prompted me to rent carts. It may not be true but I have up to 24 hours before to cancel the golf carts. I’m a “bird in the hand” type person.

1 Like

I may or may not have made a 4 day cart rental because I don’t know which day we will want to go!

1 Like

I like your thinking!

1 Like

Pretty sure the only cars allowed in Ft Wilderness are those staying there. If you have more than one, or maybe two cars, the rest park at the Outpost. Parking inside the campground is sparse. One reason for golf carts and bikes.

2 Likes

thank you for the info! I would like to reserve one in August since we totally blew it in January.

1 Like