Formal night?

I keep seeing conflicting information. We will be going on a 7-night Caribbean cruise next month. Is there or is there not a formal night? I know about Pirate night, but everything I read that even mentions a formal night says that cruises that are 7+ nights may have a formal night. Argh! Trying to plan clothes and whatnot.

TIA!

1 Like

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/dining-food-beverages/dining-dress-codes/

2 Likes

Why the heck couldn’t I find that?! :woman_facepalming:t2:

Thank you!!

1 Like

Our 7 night had one formal, one semi-formal, one pirate and four casual.

Let me give you the social answer, the type you won’t read about. There are two suggested formal and semi-formal nights but they are not advertised in any formal way (except for a small description on the Navigator) so you will see 60%+ of the cruise not caring at all, 30% wearing something nice and 10% going all out (like really all out with tuxedos and sparkly dresses).

On those days there will be some photo ops with some “glamour” backdrops like the staircase. Characters might be more sparkly too. However, this is not something to stress over. We dress up a little bit but have seen many many familes put absolutely zero effort.

Source: We just got off a cruise last Saturday.

5 Likes

This is absolutely fantastic info. Thank you, @SneakyPete! I’ve done other cruises, but not on Disney. Those formal nights are required in the dining room, so if you don’t want to do the fancy thing, you have to eat at the buffet. But this is great info. :blush:

@SneakyPete How strict are they on enforcement of that evening’s dress code in the MDR? I doubt they block you from entering if you aren’t dressed up (or even dressed “nice”), as long as you aren’t wearing a swimsuit. At least, that’s how it is on other mainstream lines I’ve sailed. I was interpreting your percentages to refer to all MDR people, but maybe you meant all the ship?

1 Like

not strict at all, of course, if you are dripping wet with your swimsuit I would probably not risk it but besides the obvious you will see anything in the MDR from ragged jeans to pijamas.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought you’d say (except for the dripping wet part). So, even on formal night, @niassa is welcome to eat in the regular dining room, wearing much the same stuff as on casual nights. Great!

1 Like

Wow! Color me shocked! And it’s good to know.

1 Like

Which ship are you on? I did a 6-night Caribbean on the Magic in January. There’s no formal or semi-formal nights on a 6-night. There also wasn’t a buffet option for dinner. It was either the MDR, QS, or room service.

In October on the Fantasy for the 7 night cruise, it was Casual, Formal, Casual, Pirates, Semi Formal, Halloween dress up, and Casual. For formal night, I wore a sundress, DH wore a nice polo, and DS14 wore shorts and a polo. You’ll see a handful of people that will be super dressed up but the Disney cruises I’ve been on a fairly casual in the main dining rooms. DS usually wore athletic type shorts and a tshirt on the other nights.

1 Like