Flight Options WWYD

No we’ll drive the 15+ hours home with my husband

1 Like

That sounds easier than the first two options, in my opinion… :slight_smile:

I agree, only doing this work around because he will not be home the day we are leaving due to work.

1 Like

Having kids similar ages, I’d probably go with option 2. Three hours in the car before a flight is worse than a layover from a small / reliable local airport. Now, if the layover were between two major airports, I’d rather drive. Or if the drive was like 1.5 hours.

1 Like

If not, between the two options I’d go with option B—I also live in a smaller city and I nearly always opt for local airport + layover v. driving 2.5 hours to the nearest large airport + nonstop.

1 Like

Ugh… I don’t love either option, lol! If you drive to the direct flight, will it be convenient to get there to get your car on the way home? (I’m assuming you are all driving back together with your husband.)

The layover on Option B doesn’t bother me as much as the laaaaate arrival. Although I would still get my own bags at MCO on Option A, because getting in that late, you don’t want to have to wait for them to come to your room.

I will go on record as saying that I would not give even a moment’s thought to pulling a 6 yo out of school a few hours earlier for a family trip. My kids (teens) have always missed some school for Disney trips because that’s when it makes the most sense for us to go. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would definitely look into earlier flights and pull your son out of school. Missing a day at that age isn’t too big of an issue. If you have concerns, check in with his teacher and ask.

My 10 year old daughter is missing school during our trip in November.

1 Like

I didn’t realize we were trying to work around a school day. Pull the kid. I never am in that camp but at 6yo pull him.

4 Likes

I agree. And some teachers will be accommodating

1 Like

we pulled our kids last year for a full week (ages 10 and 6 at the time) and it did not hinder their performance or education one minute. this year they will miss only 2 days.

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I went with Option B, I wasn’t planning to take Thursday off so I’ll deal with the midnight melee, ha!

1 Like