First timer- surprise trip!

I second the Bengal Barbecue recommendation and the beignets! I’m not a churro fan, but my DD21 used to love them. She’s acquired an allergy to cinnamon, sadly. Also, the elote is good to try and very Californian with it’s Mexican influences! It’s Mexican street corn with butter, mayo, cheese, and red pepper. It’s so yummy! You put the condiments on yourself if this combo makes you squeamish. I was skeptical, but when DD18 tried it with the works, I had a bite and couldn’t believe how good it was.

Honorable mention for the bao at Tropical Hideaway.

2 Likes

Is this at Bengal Barbecue or somewhere else?

1 Like

It’s at some food carts … or it was. We got it at a cart near Little Mermaid in DCA. I think they have it at a cart by BTMR too. Who knows with limited offerings, if they’ll have it.

1 Like

They have just started reopening single rider lines in WDW, so I don’t think they’re available at DLR yet, but keep checking.

1 Like

I just priced out Uber XL for our upcoming trip and it was $78 I believe from LAX to DLR so Jeff is telling the truth. It was $95 from Disneyland to Universal FYI. I was trying to see if Uber was cheaper than car rental and with parking fees it will be for me even needing the extra Uber to/from Universal so definitely much cheaper if you’re staying at Disney. They used to have a paid version of ME a bit back but it appears to be gone.

2 Likes

I’m coming in terminal 6. Can I just walk to terminal 1 for the Uber. I have found it’s easier to just walk at LAX from terminal to terminal but man do they really need an internal train. I hate this airport but like you said if you want to fly direct from far away and I was also hindered by wanting the kids to get their full school day in on Friday so our flight is at 730pm which left little options. Anyway I looked at the map and it looks like I could just cut thru parking from 6 to 1.

Also, for the Uber dropping you off does this same thing apply? They can only drop you at Terminal 1?

2 Likes

BTW you look like me when I have beignets and Coffee (well cafe au lait) in NOLA, really happy! :smiley:

4 Likes

I was so very happy!!!

4 Likes

I have never tried to walk from that side of the terminal but I assume you can make it,
even if you might have to walk the long way around. There is probably a short cut through parking somewhere though. Might be easier if you don’t have a lot of luggage. But if you do have more than one suitcase I would recommend biting the bullet and taking the shuttle. Unless someone else on the forum has experience, you may need to ask someone upon arrival about a walking path.

2 Likes

Just a four day weekend and I don’t think we paid for extra bags so just a carry on and backpack. I always walk from the terminals to the international one when I fly thru there but that’s in the middle so easy to get to no matter where you come in. I hate that you have to go thru security again when connecting thru LAX for international flights. It’s such a horrible design flaw. I prefer San Fran where you do not have to go thru security to fly international if I’m going thru Cali. But I digress sorry for the vent. Lol. Okay I’ll keep looking into it and this may cause me to fork the money for a limo service at least to get to the resort since it’s gonna be a late arrival after a full school day. And will feel like 1030pm to us.

2 Likes

You’re giving me flashbacks to our 2001 trip to China to adopt DD21! We flew through LAX and transferring to the international terminal was awful!

3 Likes

I purposefully chose I think United Airlines to get to China because it went thru San Fran instead of the American or Delta that went thru LAX even though it was like not the better timing or small price diff. I concur. It’s awful. My brother lives in NZ and sometimes it’s significantly (i mean like $500-1k) cheaper to go thru LAX and so I’ll bite the bullet.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, if you are on a car service or limo service you can be picked up at your terminal. Might be worth arranging beforehand. I’m using one for work next week - I’ll let you know how it goes and I’ll scope out the terminal walkways. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! You’re awesome!

2 Likes

I’ve been out of the house all day so I have to go through and read all of these comments and figure out what questions I have as a result :joy:

Yay for surprise anniversary trip! Well done to your DH!!

We just returned from a trip to DLR and our experience was that for DL (6/15 & 6/16) rope drop was the official park opening time (9am) and we were held at the hub/Main St until then, but for DCA (6/17, 6/18 & 6/20) Avengers Campus and a few headliners were ready to go before 8:30 and they were not holding guests anywhere but letting them back into all parts of the park.

For the boarding groups: if you have park hoppers and the group you get from the 7am drop is an early one (i.e. you are able to scan in before 12pm) then you can try for the other ride’s BG at the 12pm drop. We were able to do this two of our DCA days by getting very low Webslingers boarding groups (18 & 16 respectively) at the 7am drop so that at 12pm we were able to get RotR (we would’ve been able to do a third time too, but I messed up on which park we were starting at our last day so we tried for the wrong ride and didn’t get a BG at the 7am drop at all). But definitely practice to get the feel, I didn’t have DH practice beforehand and so only I knew how to do it exactly but once he got the hang of it, it was a LOT easier to get better BGs with both of us trying.

Rider switch is alive and well at DLR, just make sure you have the tickets of the non-riders ready to scan. The only issue we ran into with RS was with RotR - I don’t know if the RotR CMs were just tired or addled by the heat or overwhelmed with crowds or all of the above, but they seemed to be the most put-out by giving a rider switch and kind of expected us to know where to go for it, even on our first day, first time ever riding RotR. When we got to the CMs that were specifically there to assist with RS they specifically asked only for the non-rider’s ticket to scan & when I asked if I got to bring 2 back through (like with regular rider switch) the answer I got was “I’ve already got just you booked. So you’re all set.” And then the CM turned away to help the next person. No other directions on what to do, where to return, or why it would be different than any other RS.
It didn’t feel right so when we returned, we brought the 2 older kids anyway and I made sure to tell them that I asked when we scanned for the RS and that we were all there, but were told I couldn’t bring anyone and I just wanted to clarify if it really was just me and they somewhat reluctantly let them in because they said yes technically you should be able to bring two others and they should’ve just scanned it for you to begin with. So just make sure you clarify and ask again if it doesn’t seem like it’s working like RS should. I get that it’s a high demand ride and that the less RS’s that they offer the more efficiently they can get through BGs but I hate it when they, in the name of efficiency, try to weasel out of giving you what their policies clearly state are allowed. But for something like RotR, it’s totally worth pushing back on them to give you the chance to ride with at least part of your family.

And then snacks, oh boy oh boy, two days isn’t nearly enough!! My favorite is most definitely the Mint juleps and beignets, but churros, corn dogs, any Bengal BBQ skewers and the Cozy Cone (either Mac n cheese or Chili Cone Queso) are also way up there. The food at Avengers Campus that we tried was all so good, the pretzel and candy bar being our favorites but we could’ve easily eaten anything that we tried there again (the giant chicken sandwich and the PB3 sandwich concoction). We also really loved the two treats at the Terran Treats cart and never got a chance to try the Shawarma but it smelled so good every time we passed it. Usually we also hit up the bread bowls with clam chowder and bread pudding at the Pacific Wharf Cafe but it wasn’t up and running yet this trip (but might be by yours).

A few other that are awesome that I can’t not mention are the Plaza Inn fried chicken, Matterhorn macaroons (if you love coconut), Ghiradelli’s ice cream and turkey legs.

And then the one must-eat snack that is relatively easy to transport back to the hotel in a ziploc bag is churro toffee (to save space for the rest of the snacks that aren’t as transportable). You can also get churro toffee at Marceline’s in Downton Disney so it’s an easy one to save for arrival or leaving day and we always bring at least some of that home because it’s a fave snack. The Matterhorn Macaroons are also relatively easy to transport in a ziploc too but we always eat ours on the spot because we love them.

When we went, breakfast was a little tricky because the places we are used to seeing open for breakfast as alternative options weren’t all open but again, that might change by the time you go. For us we really like Galactic Grill, Jolly Holiday, Red Rose Tavern as options for breakfast but none of those were doing breakfast. Also, Flo’s which is really popular for bfast (but we always seem to gravitate towards a Cozy Cone even for bfast in DCA) wasn’t open for bfast when we went. So either be prepared to wait in a long line for the select bfast options that are available or do an on-the-go bfast on the way in to the parks and wait to eat until 10:30-11 when more things start opening up.

Oh, also! I totally forgot Tropical Hideaway with it’s different flavors of Dole Whip is all amazing, but a really, really, really long line every time we passed so we opted to skip it this trip.

Any other questions, keep them coming, we love to help answer!

4 Likes

My sister is going tomorrow! This morning she texted me and asked, “why is my app only showing park reservations for me and my husband, but not our two kids? I have tickets for all of us.” I asked for her login credentials and checked it out - turns out she didn’t have a reservation for her kids! She bought the tickets a week ago so it was after they implemented the new process where a park reservation is obtained in the same step as buying tickets, so there’s no reason they shouldn’t have had a reservation.

I tried to get them a reservation myself, but they were all sold out online. Thankfully, she was able to go to a ticket booth in front of the park and the CM hooked her up with park reservations for her kids. Phew! I was in a panic - I was convinced they would tell her no dice, and she’d have to escalate. I’m so glad they resolved it without a fuss.

Questions:

1. What time should she arrive at the gate for Rope Drop?

2. I’ve heard Harbor was crazy and is getting better, but should she go to the Toy Story Lot? Mickey & Friends? (I think they’re driving.)

3. What ride should they start their day with? They will be at Disneyland first, then hopping to DCA.

They are Disneyland veterans, but haven’t been in a couple of years. I’m going to help them get a BG tomorrow morning for RotR (and maybe one for WS at the noon drop). Wish me luck!

3 Likes

Toy Story lot buses basically take you to the Harbor entrance so I would say Mickey & Friends / Pixar parking but they’ll have to walk as I don’t the trams are working yet.

3 Likes

I love all you people so much. So much useful information!!!

1 Like

Ah! Thank goodness the ticket booth was able to help with the kids’ reservations! It is incredibly easy to have a snafu like that. I was sure I had booked Disneyland for our starting park our last day and never double checked it until we had an issue getting a Rise BG that morning. Turns out I had booked (or Disney confirmed) DCA for us. I expect these types of stories will be much more commonplace.

To your questions:

1. We found we preferred to be there slightly later since there was not crazy heavy competition for any one ride and crowds disperse fairly evenly after rides start absorbing crowds. So arriving to security at 8:10-8:20am seemed to be the sweet spot where they had let in the early rush and we were able to saunter in with no lines. Any earlier and we were in a long line.

2. I’m not very familiar with which is better driving since we rarely drive. But it seems that Harbor with the busses is the more efficient and it is less of a walk, even if you walk instead of shuttle. Without the trams the Mickey & Friends is a bit of a hike (not horrible, but longer for sure). And with the Toy Story lot you’ll do security before the bus (before 11am) so you’ll head straight into the turnstiles once off the busses. But if it’s easier to access the Mickey & Friends where they are coming from, it’s not a bad option. They actually have their own security that is separate from the Downton Disney security line so I’m not sure how it compares to any other security areas.

3. In DCA I would most definitely pick either Racers or TSMM first as both those lines get long and stay long all day. In DL Snow White or Peter Pan are good ones to aim for if being strategic/slightly competitive. We are not nearly mobile enough with 4 kids to make either of those worth it so we prefer something like Alice or Dumbo that is still a good strategic choice but doesn’t take nearly as much scrumming. All the e-tickets in DL seem to see 20-30 min waits either early or late (or a noon lull- since everyone is waiting to get BGs) so the Fantasyland ones that build a line seem to be the best bet right now.

Hope they have a grand time!!

2 Likes