First time post ... first time to Disney

How??? How did you forget?

1 Like

I 2nd @PrincipalTinker ideas. I usually pick dinner first and then plan my park days around that. But eating is important to my hubby and I. It was so cool to see the fireworks from the California Grill. Make sure that reservation is around 7:30ish. I would add Jiko to the list of great signature dining. Tiffins was so good my hubby and I went there 2x. The first time was in my plans and the 2nd time I just found an open ADR.

I like to go to the touring plan menus page and read the menus that way you can get an idea if you would llke the food.

You have a lot of days so you should be able to ride all the rides several times.

Good Luck and ask away!

3 Likes

I made touring plans for every day so that I had an idea of what was happening. Some days I just threw those out the window and just went with the flow of being there. Sometimes rides are down and that throws a monkey wrench in the plans. Don’t worry!!!

2 Likes

Welcome @martin_claire, first tip is to relax. Your at a great resort and have a good plan. I second all the advice given, especially about the signature dining Reservations. Know that if you have any questions you can post them here or on Chat, the Touring plans app. Since you’ll be staying for 15 days you might want to plan a couple of relaxation days at resort. I love the Beach Club, great pool, close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios and the Boardwalk area is really fun at night. The planning is half the fun. Good luck.

4 Likes

Wow that’s an impressive plan :flushed: thanks for all the advice … like you I think this will be a bit stressful for me but not in a bad way … just don’t want to get it wrong for the family

2 Likes

Hi thanks for your advice … I was going to give us a day at each water parc when everywhere is busiest from the crowd calendar … think a few days off will definitely be needed to recharge :battery:

3 Likes

It’s Disney!!

IMHO, the only way you can “get it wrong” is to over stress and be overly rigid on plans. Part of the joy and fun of Disney is the spontaneous magic that can happen, and I’ve found that being too rigid leaves little room for magic to happen.

ETA - And yes, I have had wonderful times where I was unable to plan out my FP+ ahead of time. Once upon a time Cast Members and those on CM passes could not put those passes into MDE and so could not plan ahead the FP+. And I never had a problem riding anything I wanted to ride when I went, even getting them day-of in the park. So it IS possible.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed my trip (the one with the giant spreadsheet) but once back at home I did feel like everything was so well-planned that I never stopped to smell the roses. For which reason I’m desperate to go back and do it all again but more slowly.

3 Likes

I’m not saying don’t have a plan or strategy, but it is good to leave room for spontaneity. And unexpected bathroom breaks.

Yes, I witnessed a mother having a near meltdown once because her child needed to use the restroom when it was not on the schedule and that was “going to throw the whole day off”.

1 Like

hahaha that’s grim

1 Like

Totally. I felt so bad for the kid.

Good advice above. Also realize that thousands and thousands of people visit every year with absolutely no advance planning, and still have a great time… so, every tiny thing you plan, or bother to Google, or even take 30 seconds to ponder puts you one step ahead.

With kids, something WILL change, and life goes on. You can let the missed ride ruin your day or look to find the joy in the thing that caused you to miss it (did you stop for a good snack, to smell the roses, watch a show, or to deal with a meltdown that in 5 years will be funny?).

With such a long trip, I would consider trying to hit the headliners (or really anything you think your family will love) on more than one day. That way, if something comes up, you can still experience it.

Also, wrap your brain around the fact that park hours will change after all your planning. Renovation schedules will come out and throw a wrench in plans. And… last but not least… park crowd level predictions will change when you least expect it. A well-planned day will, surprisingly, ride out a crowd level change very well.

I’m also another one who schedules in ‘free time’. We have a schedule every day, and on paper it looks like we’re scheduled to the hilt, but if you look more closely there are breaks that are longer than should be needed and times where a ride/experience is in multiple times… just in case. I also flag items as ‘skippable’ so we know it’s not something we are dying to see (this helps my DH). So, plan ahead, but also plan to be flexible.

Just pick one thing to focus on first (night shows, sit-down meals, general park overview, etc) and it will help you feel a bit more focused. I honestly start every trip overwhelmed, but the feeling goes away when I dig in and do something.

2 Likes

Profmatt , This is me- enjoyed it thoroughly but did it all for everyone else in my family - which is fine because I thrived on the organising and also stressed a lot. Lucky for me, they enjoyed it so much, we are planning our return for 2020 … I plan on making it more relaxed for me so I can smell the roses.