First time on DCL-Help me decide

We have decided to take a Disney Cruise in Summer of 2024 but cannot decide on which one to take. I know it isn’t ideal to go during the summer, but DH and I are teachers and our boys (will be 16 and 13 at time of sailing) are in travel and school soccer. This will be our first cruise as a family. DH and I went on a Carnival cruise for our Honeymoon 19 years ago. We have considered RCL for this upcoming cruise but the family all agrees that we would like to go with DCL. After looking at the options for sailing out of Florida, we have narrowed it down between 3 options. Which one would you pick and why?

4 nights on the Wish, First week of June-Nassau and Castaway Cay
5 nights on the Magic-First week of July-Nassau, Castaway Cay, Lighthouse Point
7 nights on the Fantasy-First week of June-Eastern Caribbean

I have read the recent trip reports here on the forum and really liked the Fantasy going to the Eastern Caribbean! However, we aren’t sure if we want to do 7 nights with it being our first cruise. Would it be too much? I go back and forth on this. I like the 5 night cruise for going to both CC and LP and feel that it is a good middle between the 4 and 7 night, but would we regret going in early July? I would love your input!

I would pick the 7 night on the Fantasy. My very first cruise was 7 nights on the Magic. There’s a lot to do on the Fantasy & nice ports.

1 Like

We are doing our first cruise on the Fantasy for that 7 night itinerary in one week! I had originally wanted a 4-5 night cruise to see how we would like it. I booked the 7 night because it was what worked with our dates on the Disney+ deal. My husband and I are both reluctant cruisers and I fully expected that I would end up canceling before the final payment was due…but here we are and now that it is one week out, I’m excited and happy I booked the 7 night. We’ll see how it goes.

3 Likes

I’d rule out the 4.
If money isn’t a consideration, I’d go for 7, bc I know I love cruising.
With that said, 5-n is sort of the sweet spot for my kids. It’s what I’ve chosen the last two cruises with them.

I don’t think you can make a wrong choice between 5 and 7.

4 Likes

When looking at pictures and videos of the ships I am liking the Fantasy more than the Magic but have heard so many say how much they love the Magic. I was wanting to sail on the Dream but it isn’t cruising the Caribbean that summer.

2 Likes

I’ve mentally ruled out the 4 night but DH likes the idea of being on the new ship. I think 5 nights would be good but really like the Fantasy ship and like that itinerary.

3 Likes

7 nights on the Fantasy. I’ve done the 4 night cruise and felt like there was not enough time to do what I wanted. The 7 day was so much more relaxing and enjoyable.

2 Likes

If he wants a new ship go with Fantasy!!! I know the Wish is newer, but it doesn’t get great reviews. I’ve been on all of the ships except the Wish (zero interest). I personally love the Magic, but the Fantasy is an amazing ship!!! If he wants a newer ship this is the way to go.

4 Likes

Tonight after dinner, DS11 said with excitement “Mom are we going on that 7 day cruise with the cool place for me to play video games!?”. He has heard many of the podcasts I listen to while on the drive home each day and has seen a little video clip about the Fantasy. Well, immediately DH said “NO!” I whispered to DS, “yes, I just have to convince daddy”, LOL. I talked to DH about the pros and cons of each cruise and he agreed that the 7 night is the way to go! YAY!!

6 Likes

This will be our third Disney cruise in October, second one on the Fantasy. My son was 12 the first year and LOVED Edge. Last year he was 13 (almost 14) and got to do Edge and Vibe. He loves them both. He would wake up late, order room service, and hit either Vibe or Edge. He’d send my husband and I a message later in the day and might meet up with us. Usually we didn’t see him until 5:00 or so in the evening when we were showering and getting ready for dinner. He did allow us to go see a few movies with him. Husband and I would go to bed and son would see the 11:00PM movies with friends from the clubs or he would stay until the clubs closed. He typically headed there right after our second seating dinner.

1 Like

I can see my boys doing this. My youngest is already watching video clips with tips about cruising. He was telling me all kinds of tips today. He is super excited! I know My oldest is excited he just won’t show it until the moment we arrive. He’s looking forward to unlimited food :joy:.

Thanks everyone for your help!

This is the one I would do cause Castaway Cay looks awesome and Lighthouse Point looks even awesomer. Plus I get anxiety from excursions to real life locations. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Plus 5 nights seems like a goldilocks zone for a first cruise.

2 Likes

Originally that was my thought as well, a 5 night. However, the one with lighthouse point is expensive for a 5 night. It is only $700 more to do the 7 nights and we like going in June. The only other 5 night cheaper option that summer is going to Cozumel which DH and I agreed we don’t care to go back to. We went there in our honeymoon and it was fine. Just looking to go somewhere else.

3 Likes

Sounds like the 7-night cruise is a no brainer in that case!

2 Likes

Oh. Now you are speaking my language. I always calculate per person per night for cruises. It often helps me compare one to another. Because one could be a little more but I get more, and other times I’m paying more per night for a shorter one.

4 Likes

Agree. The seven night is cheaper per night than the 4 night Disney cruises. So in Disney math 7 night cruise is cheaper than 4 night cruise.

3 Likes

It’s unit pricing.

3 Likes

I like Disney math :grin:

2 Likes

Having just done a 5n to Cozumel & Castaway Cay for a first cruise I would agree that it’s a good testing the waters without being too short zone.

But boy oh boy were we sad it was done so would’ve loved to have been on a 7n.

That is insane & I would definitely be choosing the 7n with that logic. The Fantasy & the Dream are sister ships so the Fantasy will be very close to the Dream plus get you the Caribbean that you want (just book a placeholder while on the ship & get your next one when the Dream is back in the Caribbean). We did the Dream & while I loved it, I am excited to try other ships & itineraries next. The itineraries on a lot of the 7n Fantasy are mouth-watering.

We agree that we wouldn’t be bothered to make it a point to get back to it, but I would like to experience what I actually envisioned Cozumel being instead of how we ended up experiencing it because we hadn’t booked anything in advance (long story but it involves me trying not to be a jerk to extended family traveling with us & not wanting to strand them when they weren’t sure of their plans, another long story & it ended up being a miserable experience for both of our families to get to a beach, any beach bc that’s all we’d wanted out of the day).

1 Like