First time going to WDW during Christmas. What should we expect!?

Hi all,

We booked for Sunday, Dec 12th - Sunday, Dec 19th. It is our first time going to WDW during Christmas! What should we expect? What are the “must dos or see” during that time?

We were thinking Liberty Tree Tavern for dinner!

Thanks!
TheDadWhoLikesDisney

P.S. Am I crazy that I have a Christmas trip already on the books in the middle of May?

I went December 14-20 in 2019 and it was PERFECT. Crowds were less than our previous fall breaks the first week of October. My kids said they want to always go in December now. (They didn’t refuse a trip this past November though).

Pre-Covid, these would be my recommendations. They may not be offered this year. Keep in mind, things may be different in 2021, especially since things were so limited for 2020.

Must see resorts for the gingerbread displays starting with my favorites: Grand Floridian, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Contemporary, Poly, and Yacht Club. Get a piece of gingerbread at each resort and decide your favorite.

AKL also had animal themed trees. We went to the bar at Sanaa for drinks and the bread service when we left AK so it was convenient to go.

I thought DHS had the best decorations followed by MK. It was awesome to see it “snow” as we left DHS at night. I also liked the Christmas projections on ToT.

Storytellers at Epcot and the Candlelight Processional are must do’s. I was surprised at the lack of Christmas decor at Epcot, but not every county celebrates Christmas so I guess that is why. Living with the Land has a cool Christmas overlay.

We spent well over an hour in the lobby at GF. They had a local high school choir last was amazing singing Christmas carols. I would have thought they were professionals. We got holiday treats and listened to them. After they finished, the band played. The gingerbread house is like nothing I’ve ever seen. Incredible. Get the cake pop too.

The weather could not have been more perfect. Shorts and sweatshirts or leggings. Not at all hot.

I can’t wait to go back at Christmas time.

5 Likes

That is a very good time to go! It’ll be busy, but nowhere near christmas week in terms of crowds.

You can find many lists of Christmas related things going on, Touring Plans has one: Holiday (Christmas) Activities

Though it might vary due to covid. It’ll be interesting to see if night time shows are brought back beforw that, I hope so.

2 Likes

Not at all. For many of us here that would even be considered late to get started. But we are crazy here. Welcome!!!

5 Likes

And no you aren’t crazy to book Christmas trip in May. I booked my December 2019 trip as a free dining bounce back in September 2018!

1 Like

Our elf Bob showed up in the room too. This was so magical.

5 Likes

Oh, we have gone at Christmas time twice. It was so much fun and oh so beautiful! I’ll have to agree with what everyone has already said.

We enjoyed the Jingle Cruise overlay. The gingerbread houses were so cool!

What a great idea!!! I’m totally going to “steal” this as we are going this Christmas:)

It was the last year that DS11 at that time believed. He had his doubts before this but when Bob showed up in our hotel room, he was a firm believer. It truly was magical. We have pictures of Bob on ToT, Seven Dwarfs, on Slinky Dog, RotR, with Gaston, on the Mad Hatter’s hat, etc. Kids would look at our elf and get so excited. I would explain to them and their parents that Bob had special permission from Santa. Best trip ever!

1 Like