First time for a trip report - hope you enjoy!

Day 4 - Epcot

Original plan for this day was an early 8:00 ADR at Garden Grill, then walk on Soarin with little wait. Then a bunch of FP from there.

Pap stayed back at resort to relax with a pool day.
We decided that Soarin was not a priority anymore, so we cancelled the ADR and arrived at 9:00 and went straight to Frozen in Norway (no FP for it).
It was a nice ride if you’re a fan, we liked it.
Had the School Bread at Norway (and cinnamon roll).

We wander back to Future World and do Crush and the Seas.

Head across to the other side.
No interest from anyone for MS, so we skip it.
Did the Beverly challenge, fun to see the reaction from many people.
Had a FP for TT, but it shuts down just as we get there. Disappointing, but we get our first “use on most rides, anytime” bonus FP.
Tried to use it for Mickey meet, but a CM tells us the FP wait is 30-40 minutes, no thanks.

We head back over to the Seas and use it on Nemo.

Visit Canada and watch the show before our lunch at Rose/Crown. Never ate there, so was looking forward to the fish/chips.
We were a little disappointed. The food was good, but the fish portions were smaller than expected. No big deal, still tasty.

We shoot over to Mexico to see the Coco themed stuff, my youngest loves that movie.

Then we snag our best FP grab of the week - a same-day 5 person for Frozen!
We go ride it a second time, still great.

Gram was planning on leaving early for some pool time and the kids were going to go along.
Wife and I were going to stay and drink around the world.
Great plan and we get started.

German beer and caramel store, loved both!
Frozen Limoncello in Italy and frozen orange thing in France, both great for the heat.
But, the heat is winning this battle and kicking our butts.
The heat usually doesn’t bother us, we love being out in the sun (beach, boat, whatever).

We try to grab shade and A/C as we can, but it is just plain oppressive this day.
Around 5:00, we call an audible and bail on Epcot. Hated to do it as I was so looking forward to relaxing around the countries.
Head out the back way thru the IG and endure a blistering short trek on the boardwalk until we get to Abracadabar. Cold drinks and cold A/C finally combined together!
We have one or two and decide to head back to our resort. Grab a lyft at boardwalk for quick ride home.

All meet up back at POR and then head to Disney Springs.
We take a boat down the Sassagoula River from POR. That is a very nice feature of this resort, it was a very nice boat ride (no bus!).

Boat drops us off at the far end towards the east, and we start walking through.
Nearby, there is a DJ setup and has a big group of people in a big circle. There are kids of all ages inside the circle dancing, the DJ is doing a great job at keeping them going.
We stop there, and our kids join in for a little bit.

Then, the DJ clears the circle and asks for an adult to volunteer. He’s looking for 4 men and 4 women.
All the kids around are screaming for their parents to go in, including mine. I’m bobbing and weaving and successfully dodge the first 2 spots, but give in on the 3rd.
I figure what the heck, the DJ is probably just going to have us do a silly dance and we’ll be done. So I go out there.

DJ finishes the picks and the “competition” is to begin.
But, it’s not a simple task - it’s a lyp-sync team battle! Are you kidding me?

He pulls us center stage one by one and gives each of a choice to “sing”. I go out there and he asks if I want to do… Justin Bieber…
I whisper - man, do you know how old I am?
His next option… Queen
I’ll take that one!

The music starts - Bohemian Rhapsody - I fake my way thru it best I can, finish off with some sick air guitar which saves me from total embarassment (I think anyways).
Everyone takes their turn, most better than me. We finish with a group performance, men get to sing Shania Twain’s I Feel Like a Woman. I make a fool of myself some more, and we are finally done.
That was an unexpected experience for me, but everyone had a good time.

Looking forward to a nice boat ride home.
Just before departure, a woman says that her husband is hurrying to make the boat. Captain says don’t worry.
She tells the passengers his name to heckle him as he gets close and finally on board.
We cheered Scott on as he ran down the ramp to the dock.

!

17 Likes

What? No video of you singing Shania Twain? I am so disappointed! LOL Great trip report - really enjoying your recap and especially all the great photos!!

5 Likes

Fun day, and great pics!

1 Like

Video of that does exist, but it will never NEVER reach the internet!

3 Likes

Day 5 - Animal Kingdom

Since we had a late night, we adjusted our original plans a little bit.
We decided to have a no-alarms, sleep-in morning this day. Needed it.
We also were going to hang at the pool for awhile and get to the park whenever we made it there.
The pools at POR are nice. Main one is themed nice and has plenty of room, and the smaller quiet pools near the buildings are nice also. Plain, but large and not crowded.

Had lunch and drinks at the pool bar.

Arrive at AK at 4:00, weird feeling for us getting there that late. Rearranged 2 earlier FPS, but the all-important FOP was already set for the evening.

This is when we let the kids know of our AP upgrade. While walking up to the usual tapstiles, I say let’s go thru this way (the passholder line). They’re confused for a minute, but figure it out.
Obviously, they are terribly excited!

Get the usual photos to start and head to Kilimanjaro.
Early into the ride it starts raining, then lightning and thunder. It was really neat to do the Safari in a thunderstorm. Still had great sights of most animals. Even up-close white rhinos, 2 of them on either side of the truck a couple feet away.

Only problem with the storm is that it is still going when we get off the safari. We scramble to get our ponchos on and head out to Harambe and find cover at Dawa bar. Good find, relatively dry and right at the bar. Easy way to let the storm pass.

We go to Lion King show next (great as always) and the storm is done when we come out.

Next stop is Pandora.
We didn’t really love the Avatar movie, but what they did with this land is amazing. The floating mountains alone are a sight to see.

FOP was a great ride, although I’d never wait in a 90+ minute line for it (or any ride for that matter).

Dinner at Satuli Canteen was very good, everyone enjoyed what they had. Coming out from dinner and now it’s dark, and the land is now a completely different visual experience.

After seeing Pandora, I can’t wait to see what these imagineers are able to do with Galaxy’s Edge. Should be amazing!

Finish off the day with a nighttime Everest ride.

Not too overly tired this night since we had a casual early part of the day.
Great bus ride home this time. Driver was telling jokes and asking trivia quetions the whole time.
My daughter got one of the hard questions right - What two Disney characters share the same first name (or something like that)?
Answer was “Chip”. She won a prize, a wooden coin.

12 Likes

Awwww come on…you’re amongst friends here! We wouldn’t laugh (too much) :joy:

1 Like

Amazing pictures! Love reading your trip report! It is great that you all know when to slow down and relax. That is hard for me to do. But I think it would be easier if I had an AP! (something for me to consider!)

4 Likes

It looks and sounds like an excellent trip. I’ll remember about the DJ in DS.

2 Likes

Great that you had a bit of down time to recharge, great pictures, especially like the Rhino!

1 Like

Sounds like a great day!

1 Like

Day 6 - Magic Kingdom

Arrive around 8:00
Photos, shopping, opening welcome show, then head to Adventureland.

Jungle cruise again, this skipper was top-notch. Tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki next, Dole whips, Pirates, Mansion - pretty perfect morning if you ask me.

Now for Gram’s second conquest - Splash Mountain!
Having someone ride for the first time and not know when the big drop is just plain fun.
Such a great ride, we all love it.

Time for lunch at BOG!
Was worried that the experience wouldn’t match the somewhat hysterical hype that you hear while trip planning (7DMT, FOP).
Despite a little wait to order, everything else was spot-on.
Great theming, food came out quick and everyone had a good meal.

Ariel meet/greet (Pap has a mermaid tatoo) and then catch the 3:00 parade. Nice parade, but man was it hot! Feel bad for those in costume. Mickey bars made it bearable.

Hit the Emporium for much needed A/C then catch the Main St Philhamagic band, which were very good.

Another must-do was to get a Casey’s dog with mac/cheese and bacon. Nobody was super hungry again, so we got one and all shared.
It was very good, I’d highly recommend it.
Oh, and also some Mermaid cupcakes.

We called it a day early around 5:00 and start to head out. But, we get lucky timing and catch the Flag Retreat just before we go.
Never saw that before and it was very nice. Gives you a chance to stop and take a moment.

After getting back to POR, we are deciding what to do for the night. The girls and my parents stay and eat at the food court.

Wife and I decide to head to the Poly to check out Trader Sam’s.
We get a Lyft ride there. The Poly is a great place to visit, and we’d love to stay there sometime.

Trader Sam’s is a small, overly-themed tiki bar with plenty of different drink options. A little tourist-trappy but entertaining.
I had a few Zombiehead drinks and bought a glass as a souvenier (good decoration for our basement tiki bar at home). Wife had one of the mojitos. Both were very good, as was the service.

Took a quick look out on the deck during the MK fireworks and you could see them pretty good.
Got another Lyft home.

12 Likes

Brilliant photos! I love that you have a basement tiki bar.

2 Likes

Day 7 - Animal Kingdom

Another early morning sunrise walk for coffee.

We do a Minnie Van again #57. Driver is great, she was the most over-the-top and enthusiastic as any CM could be. She sounded like a Disney commercial, and she loves her job.

Plan is to rope drop Navi River, so we arrive at AK just before the 8am EMH opening. It’s not overly crowded yet.
We get through the usual tapstiles and start heading to Pandora. There is another tapstile to get past where I assume they’re verifying that you’re a resort guest?
Some guests couldn’t get past that spot and were surprised. Oh well, not my worry and we’re off with the mass of people.

We get on NR with minimal wait and are done by 8:15.
Stop for a snack, the pineapple/cream cheese pastry thing was pretty good.

Head to Africa next and do the Gorilla trail, Kilimanjaro. Then to Asia for that trail to see the tigers napping.

Had a quick lunch at the walk-up near Yak and Yeti. I went down to another stand and got the seasoned fries. The fries were good, everything else just so-so.

We all are looking forward to cooling off on Kali River. We’ve never ridden before and expect to get soaked, so some of us change into swimwear and some wear ponchos.

Really enjoyed Kali! It is themed very well, but it is a bit of a short ride. We though it could have used another drop.

Tried multiple times to get a Rum Dole Whip, but their machine was not working both times we tried. Disappointed!

There are storms on the horizon, so we call it a day at AK. Head to the bus and get caught in a little bit of the rain.

Going to go to Disney Springs again, and we take a bus there this time. Everyone was hungry and the bus drop is more central to most of the restaurants. The boat drop is at the far end.

It’s prime time Friday night and the waits are long, and we have no ADR. And, it’s starting to rain again.

Not wanting to scramble for walk-up and try to find cover to eat, we decide to try Bongo’s since their wait is minimal.
Probably because it’s not a very sought after restaurant.
We get a nice covered outside table with no wait. Thought the food was good, better than I expected.

Finish dinner and start hitting some of the stores.
Got some Star Wars swag for myself.

While in Disney Style, I hear my Mom sort of shriek behind me. I turn around and see that there are some relatives of ours there also. My Mom’s cousin and some of her family, some from Daytona some from PA and some from CA.
What are the chances of that? We catch up for a little bit and say goodbye.

Hit a few more stores and catch one of the last boats back to POR.
Another nice boat ride but we are all beat.

8 Likes

It’s a small world after all! (Sorry!)

9 Likes

Years ago, my parents were vacationing in Niagara Falls when they bumped into some old friends from a church they had previously attended. They hung out together for a while and said their good byes.

Six months later, they were in Gatlinburg, TN when who should they happen upon? The same exact friends!

At this point, they kind of took it as a sign and they started getting together regularly (they only lived about 30 minutes apart from one another).

9 Likes

Such beautiful pictures!

1 Like

Thanks! Trying to post the best ones out of the hundreds I took.

1 Like

Favorite room in our house!
Here’s a pic. With a little extra Italian decorations for Pap’s surprise bday party.
And a hidden mickey found on the bar one night.

9 Likes

Love it!

1 Like

Awesome - and I love that old joke!

1 Like