First Big news event .

And yet it’s nearly 20 years more recent than the Challenger. So…you’re both right.

2 Likes

That is crazy. Your right. Feels more recent than that!

1 Like

No, not that one either. Dont think anything memorable happened, just remember watching something in school.

That was my suspicion. When you get to our age — ha! — things that happened years ago seem recent.

2 Likes

Wasn’t there a space shuttle where they were focused on some missing heat shield tiles and were one wondering if it could land safely. And it did.

1 Like

Flipping this thread on its head a little, I almost entirely missed the fact that Friday was the 19th anniversary of 9/11. I may have missed it last year completely. That may or may not be a good thing.

1 Like

This was 2007 I think. Just did a bit of searching, Endeavor, thats what we watched. Its first launch i believe.

Perhaps it’s not quite as prominent in your country?

Obviously it was, but they don’t do big anniversaries of it any more. Or not that I’ve noticed. Do they in the US? I guess so.

Apollo 13? Movie with Tom Hanks? Not the space shuttle though.

1 Like

You all seem to have superb recall of memories from when you were so young. I don’t think I payed any interest to news programmes until I was in high school.
My first vague recollection of (bad) news is the Hillsborough disaster in 89. I would’ve been 8 then. Although I only really recall my parents reaction to it, not the actual news footage itself.
I think after that, my first memory of actually watching historic news on TV was when Freddie Mercury died in 91.
To be honest even now news stories often pass me by. I didn’t hear about that recent explosion in Beirut until a day or two afterwards. I guess I’m ostriching my way through life :woman_shrugging:t4:

OMG-so was I. I was sick and staying at a neighbor’s house because my mom/dad both had to be at work. I remember being bummed cuz it was all news and I didn’t get to watch any “fun” tv. I remember they just kept repeating the same 3-4 sentences because they knew nothing. I was in 4th grade!

I think the first “big” news I remember, though was the 1976 olympics with Dorothy Hamill ice skating. I had the Dorothy Hamill haircut. Then, I also remember watching Nadia Comaneci doing gymnastics too that year!

It’s Patriots Day here in the US. We do moments of silence for each plane, and FB is awash with it. I’m sure more ceremonies are carried out each year, probably not too many this year.

That was big news in the USA too. I believe a bunch of Syracuse students were on that flight. We all learned about Gaddafi because of that.

1 Like

Oh! I remember that, too! I had that haircut.

My DS named his Cabbage Patch doll after Luke on GH, but not until a few years after the “wedding”.

2 Likes

Same. I was in an Econ class. My professor was a big wig in finance and real estate and knew many people that worked in the World Trade Center. I remember him starting class, getting a few minutes in, then stopping and saying, “I can’t do this. The World Trade Center in on fire. We’ve been attacked. Class is over.” A fellow student jumped up saying, “My sister works there!” (She was ok.) I walked out into the hall of the building and there was a crowd of girls around a TV in an alcove. I watched the second tower fall.

I was in Boston, where one of the planes had originated, so I remember F-16’s just circling the sky all day and night. It’s haunting to remember.

On a happier note, I also remember my first sporting event after 9/11. It was a football game at Syracuse University. Everyone had flags and was chanting USA. It was really powerful. I also remember, on the first anniversary of 9/11, as I was driving home from work in the next town over, there were people standing along the streets holding candles in vigil. Sad, yet beautiful.

2 Likes

Where did you go to school in Boston?

I was in Accounting. No one knew in class. And I generally drove to work, very short distance, with radio off. I would do a sum up of class in my head. When I first got to work and heard the WTC was under a terrorist attack, I thought it was here in New Orleans. The whole downtown practically evacuated that day. We didnt get any work done, sat by the radio practically the whole day. I didnt personally know anyone in New York but everyone here was devastated.

1 Like