First Big news event .

I was 8. I still have a piece of it on my shelf in the living room :slight_smile:

The first big news thing I remember was the crash of Pan Am 103 in Lockerbie in 1988. I was 7 at the time. We lived in London and it was big news there. I don’t know if it was a big deal in the States though.

Oh. I should have thought about that!! I was really interested in space and the astronauts!

1 Like

We are not old even if we are the oldest. Are we really the oldest?

1 Like

I always wanted to go to space camp too! Lol

2 Likes

Alan Shepard space flight. Broadcast over PA system at school. I think it was not an orbit, just into space and back. Biggest memory JFK assassination. Was in AP bio learning about ferns. School dismissed.

1 Like

At least among the Daily Thread folks, as far as I’ve been able to tell. :smile:
We’ll go with most experienced :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I have vague memories of stuff in the 70’s like the gas crisis and lines at the pump, but the first thing that really hit me was Jonestown. I was in middle school (we called it jr. high). Those people … who inadvertently gave us the phrase “drink the kool-aid” … I couldn’t fathom it.

1 Like

There were local students on that plane so it was definitely on the radar for us.

1 Like

The death of Elvis Presley.

This reminds me of crash of Flight 255 in Detroit. This was a big deal to our family because my brother’s best friend died in that crash.

I remember having no kindergarten when JFK was assassinated. We had a black and white television and no cartoons just sad people following the hearse.

1 Like

LOL… you can question my memory… I wont’ take offense.:rofl: I’m getting old and know it :wink: I was answering the question of the first big event. And both those I remember in my daycare mother’s house. I remember the TV being on and watching both things there. She would vacuum and clean during commercials. But you are correct about the dates, now that you point it out. I didn’t go to look up the dates. Oh… I could say something cheeky… “made you look!” LOL

3 Likes

I won’t tell my age! My grandmother said you can’t trust a woman that tells her age. I didn’t know she was telling the only joke she ever told. But I still hold to it.

2 Likes

Which has reminded me of maybe the first big news event I remember: the death of Elvis Presley in 1977 when I was 8. I remember hating it because the TV was wall-to-wall Presley for days and I thought it was very boring!

1 Like

Definitely the challenger explosion. I was in kindergarten. My sister and I were obsessed with space shuttles and NASA, so it was very salient to me even though I was very young.

2 Likes

A lot have given my answers but definately OJ Simpson trial, there was something with a space shuttle but I dont think it was the Challenger. 9/11 I was in college, in class to be exact. Didnt hear the news till I went into work after a.m. class.

2 Likes

OJ chase…too young for Challenger explosion, I also remember being transfixed by the tv coverage of Princess Diana’s death/funeral (I would have been 14…guess it’s because I’m around the same age as Prince Harry and can’t imagine losing a parent that way, senseless car crash with crazy coverage in the press).

2 Likes

Space shuttle Columbia also exploded upon reentry…but that was much much more recent.

1 Like

Does anyone remember this? I was in the finance building facing the lake and saw it first hand

It was 17½ years ago. You’re older than you think.

2 Likes