Feedback please: Room request fax

We have two rooms. The only thing we care about is being close to each other. Is this request too long/wordy? I don’t want to shoot myself in the foot if I’m better off making it 1-2 sentences.

For our upcoming stay, we’d like to request this kind of room: Adjoining rooms

We will be traveling with family (Jane Doe). The confirmation number for the other party is 555555555555 ; I’ve been told this is our “travel with” number. Our highest priority is to get adjoining rooms. If adjoining rooms are not possible, we would like rooms to be as close to each other as possible. We have reserved a “Garden or Pool View,” but given the choice between adjoining standard view rooms or garden/pool view rooms far from each other, we would very much prefer the standards close to each other. Anything you could do to keep us close will be very much appreciated! Thank you.

Just making sure…

Do you want the rooms to connect with a door between them? If so, you need to use the word “connecting”.

If you just want them close by but without the door, then “adjoining” is fine. But that can mean next to, around the corner, or across the hall (in hotels where that is applicable).

IMHO, it’s too wordy. I’d say the first sentence and stick ONLY with “We would like to request [insert correct word here] rooms. Thank you very much for making magic happen!” and leave it at that. The rest will just confuse the assigner.

2 Likes

I send wordy faxes and get what I ask for. But, and this may be important, the wordiness isn’t to do with where I want to be really. So maybe I agree. I say I would really like this room or another top floor room in this building, and then I say how excited I am to be staying there again, etc etc.

I think I would say:
Travelling with Jane Doe - travelling with number 1234
We would like connecting rooms if possible, if not to be as close by as you can manage.

Then a sentence or 2 about how you can’t wait to stay at the resort, or are excited to stay there again.

3 Likes

Yes, that is what I meant. You can put non-request stuff (if you must) in, but the whole thing about “We have these reserved, but if changing to these would allow…” is way too much and too confusing.

The bottom line is there are a limited number of rooms that are close to each other (adjoining) and even fewer that have a connecting door (connecting), and not every request can be met.

2 Likes

Yes you’re right.

This fax is for a BW studio, and I’m pretty sure that none of them connect. A fair number are next to each other though. Thanks for making sure! Interesting side note - the folks at Dave’s Vacation Club Rentals swore up and down that there was no difference between adjoining and connecting rooms.

I suspected as much. I have a problem with that sometimes. Thanks for your insight @lizzieanne771 and @missoverexcited!

1 Like

Gotcha on the studios. I don’t do DVC if I can help it, so I have no idea.

As someone who has worked in hotel reservations they are most definitely two different terms. Most of us who worked the phones would clarify when people reserved two rooms and wanted “adjoining” - 9 times out of 10 they meant “connecting” - but occasionally some would slip through the cracks, or being a convention hotel sometimes the reservation cards that were mailed or faxed would say “adjoining” and we couldn’t always call (sometimes no phone number was on the card). Then we’d hear the arguments at the front desk that they had not gotten their request (forgetting that the operative word was REQUEST) for “adjoining” when they really had. They just meant they wanted “connecting”.

1 Like

Ditto to what people have said above. The fax itself can be wordy, but the request itself should be short and concise to make it as easy to understand as possible. And it should stand out from rest of the fax so that the room assigner isn’t searching through it trying to figure out what you want.

Also, in general room requests should be as flexible as possible, focusing on what you need from a room rather than specific rooms. E.g., don’t say " I would like room xxxx or yyyy"; instead say “I would like a room close to the elevator on a high floor with a northeast view, like rooms xxxx or yyyy.” However, I would never specify that I would take a lower class room than what I had paid for. Therefore, I would word the request as follows: " We will be traveling with Jane Doe, confirmation number 555555555555. Our highest priority is to get adjoining rooms (e.g. xxxx and yyyy), and if this is not available we would like the rooms to be as close to each other as possible."

Finally, be sure that Jane sends in a similar request. I don’t know if WDW checks that both parties have made the request before trying to fulfill it, but having two requests increases the chances of one of them being nearer to the top of the pile. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the tips, @brklinck.

Why is that? I honestly don’t care about room views. I’d be 1000% happier looking at a parking lot and being next to Jane than I would be with the best view but far from Jane.

1 Like

Why did you pay extra for a view then? Not meant to be snarky! Has Jane also paid for a view? If you have both paid extra, you should get what you pay for.

1 Like

The standard view rooms were sold out.

1 Like

Fair enough.

I guess its a matter of getting what I paid for, and I also don’t think that allowing them to move you to a lower classed room would increase your chances of getting a room close to each other. As others have pointed out, adjoining rooms have no interconnection between them, so you still have to go out into the hallway to go to Jane’s room, so does it really matter if you walk one door down, or a couple of doors down? Also, as @lizzieanne771 points out, at some hotels “adjoining” can mean things other than “right next to”, but I don’t know if that applies to WDW resorts.

That being said, I have only once requested adjoining rooms, and the request was not granted. However, the check in dates were different, which makes it much more difficult for the room assigners to coordinate, so I was not surprised or disappointed. Perhaps Liners who have had more experience requesting adjoining rooms can chime in about the frequency that they got them.

The adjoining/connecting difference is a travel industry standard. I suspect Disney MIGHT be more likely to try to make adjoining requests connecting because so many people think they mean the same thing, but they are different even at Disney.

That makes sense. Thanks for explaining!

Well, chances are good that it would be more than a few doors down. Last trip, we were a 3-5 minute walk away from each other, depending on whether you were with slow meandering kids or walking at a normal pace.

That aside, oddly enough it does matter to us. Our group consists of me, DH, DD, DS and MIL. MIL has her own room, but the kids will sleep in MIL’s room on a few nights. It makes it easier to transfer the kids back and forth with their overnight stuff if MIL is next door or across the hall. Plus, it just makes us feel more like a group vacationing together rather thank folks who happen to know each other and staying in the same place. There were only two things that MIL asked we do differently this time - make things more relaxed and have rooms closer to each other. I have explained that we may or may not get our request, but I want to do everything in my power to make that happen for her.

1 Like

you are a great DIL!

2 Likes