February DLR trip recap (2/15-19)

I decided this morning we would rope drop Cars Land but not RSR. We were very happy with the decision. The RSR line was so long, so fast. Lightning was sitting there with a photopass photographer, and we were the first to approach. After seeing us get some pics a few other families finally started a queue.

From there we walked onto Luigi. It’s very cute, but we’ve always had long lines in the past. Felt great to knock it out immediately. Then stopped at Mater before heading to Pixar Pier.

On the bridge we saw another photo pass photographer with no one to take pictures of, so we got some family pics. Again a queue formed behind us. This happened a couple more times later in the morning. It feels like people don’t recognize what that cast member is there for unless they’re actively taking photos.

Immediate walk on for TSMM, Pal Around, and Emotional Whirlwind. We also were all very excited to see Sully and get pictures with him.

We wanted to ride Soarin twice today, so we suffered through our first queue of the day there. Maybe 20 minutes. Then it was time to use LLs in Avengers Campus.

But first a visit to Trolley Treats, since we all were admiring their windows prior to rope drop. DS picked the dark chocolate covered strawberries.

LL start times for Web and Guardians were only separated by ten minutes. I made the mistake of using the earlier one (Web) first, which meant we couldn’t select a new LL until they were both used. It didn’t end up mattering though.

While we were there DS was very happy we caught three of the Avenger shows. We then backtracked to IC to use that LL before lunch at Carthay Circle Lounge.

It’s an easy reservation to get but this is probably our favorite restaurant in all of DL. Not cheap (or large portions), just very tasty. Same goes for the cocktails. And as luck would have if we were at the exact same table as last time, which allows DS to watch for characters going on and off stage.

After lunch we caught the Candy Cane trolley bus back for a nice nap…

5 Likes

Quick aside: I can’t emphasize enough how much we are enjoying the Candy Cane In. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

This an amazing start already and not even in a park yet!

I am SO happy they extended it to the whole parade route. In past years they’ve only done the performance corridor area and as a processional and it’s been squishy to get a spot so we haven’t watched it in a long while. It’s so nice now that they utilize the full route & we loved how low stress it was to see.

Another amazing start!

That is a little bit surprising. On the other hand, we checked out the menu items on our trip last weekend and ended up deciding to get Harbor Galley Lobster rolls & bread bowls instead of anything from French Market. But we did get beignets & mint juleps for dessert.

Very smart start. 3/3 on amazing starts to your day.

Woohoo! We love DCA days that start on the pier for these same things. And we usually throw in Jessie’s & Incredicoaster in there too and still only end up waiting for one of those things for less than 10 min.

Yes! Always room for confectionary treats!

You guys killed it with how much you did before lunch! And it’s a very tasty place for lunch too. But right, not at all cheap or large portioned. My kids have also loved sitting outside and spying for characters coming & going. And we’ve watched a parade (way back when Pixar Parade was in DCA) from there too.

I’ll have to add it back into my list of hotels to check when booking offsite. I used to check it when we first started going to DLR frequently in 2014-15, but we’ve never tried it (usually it was sold out so I just stopped checking for it) and then when the park re-opened from the Covid-closure & they didn’t I didn’t have them on my radar at all.

3 Likes

I‘m hoping to add some additional daily updates (for my future reference if nothing else), but currently trying to catch up at work.

One quick Sunday thing for now…

Thank you @joelbruick :tada:

7 Likes

Yay! :clap:
Can’t wait to hear more

Oops, I forgot to finish Thursday. Real quick…

After MMRR we let DS explore Toontown and took a break there for probably close to an hour. Then we walked to Galaxy’s Edge to use MFSR LL. The family with us appeared to be on it for the first time. The dad and small child were the pilots and it didn’t go particularly well. We nailed the crucial engineer roles though. :laughing:

We took our time in the land, shopping and watching Stormtroopers. Then worked our way back to the hub for corn dogs from the red wagon.

Now it was time to burn through some LLs. We did Star Tours, Buzz, Storybook Canal Boats, and Casey Jr.

I think we still had four of the ME passes at this point but lacked the time (and energy) to do much more, since the park was closing soon for Sweethearts Night. Instead we got DS the churro he had been eyeing all day and got in a relatively short line for PP. The projection only version of WJ was starting, so we got to see the Blue Fairy and Baymax fly over us while in queue.

2 Likes

Friday’s nap was pretty long, which was good since we had the WOC Dessert Party that night. It was about 5:00 when we were going through security again. I had modified our LLs, so we immediately went to TSMM for a second time today. Then made our way to Monsters Inc, stopping for pictures with Goofy by Carthay. Next was dinner at Smokejumpers. I wasn’t very hungry, so DW and I shared the bacon cheeseburger fries and a beer. That was plenty. I ate fairly quickly and got in line to check-in for the dessert party a little after 7. The line started moving about ten minutes later. After getting our wrist-bands we met at Soarin to use those LLs. That took a little longer than expected, so the line to be seated for the dessert party was quite long by the time we got back (7:45?). No issues though.

We had a nice high top and comfortable director chairs for the show. The plate of snacks they sat in front of each of us was overwhelming. We probably could have shared one plate. Our server Jamie was as sweet as the treats. DW tried to put in a cast compliment but she asked her not to, saying she gets to embarrassed when she gets recognized in front of the group. But appreciates that we enjoyed it. With great service there was no issue with getting two drinks, and we boxed up our remaining snacks. We really enjoyed WOC One also.

After the show we headed toward the exits along with most of the park. The DL fireworks started as we were exiting, so we watched from the promenade for awhile before heading back to Candy Cane Inn.

4 Likes

Here are a few pictures from the dessert party. The Star Wars and Marvel portions of One were of course huge hits, but I think the Soul part may have been my favorite.

6 Likes

Beautiful!!!

2 Likes

About 15 minutes later we saw Wendy, Peter, and Hook riding the carousel.

6 Likes

This happened to us at DL as well. It was actually comical how little this family understood what was going on. They couldn’t remember our group color, didn’t know what the different roles were, or anything. The CMs don’t bother explaining much anymore, and the video goes by super quickly, so I just tried to brief them (even using a little bit of Spanish lol). All things considered, they did OK and I think they had fun, although for some reason the daughter was very stressed/scared to go into the ride. I told her all she needed to do (gunner) was push buttons (or don’t, really)…

My daughter and I don’t care much anymore about this ride, and being an engineer is so low key, but next time I think I’ll just request to be pilot (vs being paired up with a group of 4 as engineers). Last 2 times we’ve had newbie pilots!! It’s time for us to gather more than 1 coaxial or whatever it is your grabbing…

4 Likes