Fall Homeschool Trip - special events & great discount!

Join us at Disney World for our fall homeschool trip and enjoy all four theme parks, a private event, an educational program, special group meals, and more! Come join us!

Warmly,
Dianna

1 Like

If we didnā€™t already have two Disney trips planned for 2020, this would be tempting!

1 Like

@JustDianna ! Iā€™m vacationdreamer on your site.

I did share a bit ago over here :heart:

1 Like

Do you homeschool? I did not realize.

Yes. All five of our kids, all the way through high school. Thatā€™s partly why our oldest son ended up graduating and finishing his Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science through U of M (University of Michigan) at 19. :slight_smile: He was able to work at his own pace (which was super fast).

Second son is in college (transferring to U of M this fall). We still have three kids being home-schooled. My wife does 95% of the work (maybe more like 98%). I just go over Math and Science. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope you can join us in the future, or for another trip. I do group trips to DC, Boston, Philadelphia, NYC, rail journeys, river cruises, international trips, and more. Check out my trips here: https://www.travelinghomeschoolers.com/

1 Like

Thank you for sharing, VacationDreamer!

1 Like

Iā€™ve homeschooled 4 - 3 have graduated, and the third is still at home. Sheā€™ll be a senior next year.

1 Like

:+1: I am always so blessed hearing stories how things work out for individual kids and their families.

DS 18 had 40 college credits finishing up high school, and just graduated with his associates degree last week at 18. Heā€™s off to Houghton College in the fall.

Meanwhile the youngest STARTS first grade in the fall. :grin:

DH took over science oversight for high school the year it looked like I was going to hit the wall. :wink: Turns our the boys loved that time with Dad.

1 Like

Our youngest JUST FINISHED 3rd grade.

Thatā€™s similar to the path of my second son. (Well, my first son as well, in a wayā€¦just skipped getting an associates.)

DS19 just got his Associates degree in Web Design and now heads to U of M in the fall to finish his B.S. in User Experience (aka, UX).

Hmm. I wish I could say the same for my kids. Iā€™m rather strict when it comes to science.

ā€œUm, sorry. This isnā€™t a hypothesis. This is just you telling me what the experiment is going to do.ā€

ā€œUm, sorry. Your conclusion doesnā€™t mention at all anything about your hypothesis!ā€

ā€œUm, sorry. Why didnā€™t you label anything in this lab report? How is anyone supposed to know what you actually did?ā€

:wink:

1 Like

Thanks. Iā€™ll keep an eye on that for future trips (2021 and beyond).

1 Like

Yeah @JustDianna ā€˜s site is amazing. Iā€™m sad Iā€™d never heard about it before. A friend at church told me at Christmas time

Though now that we have college schedules to contend with itā€™s harder to travel.

@JustDianna when #4 graduates will you stop travelinghomeschoolers?

You homeschoolers rock. I couldnā€™t do it. My kids would never have listened to me and I donā€™t think I have enough of a grasp on their work to do it successfully. But good homeschooling can be so much more successful than average public schools.

1 Like

So you allocate 2% of the learning time to Math and Science?

(Yes, Iā€™m teasing.)

Yes, you could. :slight_smile: A lot of people donā€™t believe they couldā€¦but when you are actually in the daily grind of it, you make it work. And the kind of ā€œissuesā€ you might have with your kids listening to you really never crop up (very much!) to begin with when you are homeschooling, since it is just the norm.

Put another way, your relationship with your kids is COMPLETELY different when you homeschool than if you send them ā€œawayā€ for school (meaning, to public/private school during the day). So you canā€™t really compare how things would be when youā€™re homeschooling to how things are when youā€™re not!

3 Likes

My concern about homeschooling is regulation. What checks are in place to ensure an ā€œappropriateā€ curriculum is being taught?

2 Likes

As another homeschooling parent, I agree completely with Ryan. I think homeschooled children listen to their parents more, not less.

In addition, the home/school boundary kind of fade out. We still have ā€œschool timeā€ and ā€œschool assignments.ā€ But then the topics in school continue on the rest of the day. We talk about the school concepts on vacation, after school, etc.

It is intimidating to a lot of parents to start homeschooling, but really, most all parents teach their kids from the beginning. It feels more natural than you would think.

2 Likes

That is a complex question. But the short of it is, over all, homeschooled kids do better, on average, both socially and academically than their public-schooled peersā€¦WITHOUT regulation. Regulation is only necessary if there is reason to require it. And while there are one-off cases of parents who might be abusing the system by using homeschooling as a means to abuse their kids or something, the truth is, far more kids go to public school who are abused regularly by their parents without any intervention at all.

States that have more regulation tend to do it out of fear, or a misguided belief that there is no way parents can do as good of job raising/teaching their kids than the public schools. But, stats on the subject, time and time again, prove otherwise.

Having said that, many states DO have regulations. Iā€™m fortunate to live in a state that doesnā€™t, really.

1 Like

@qwerty6 Iā€™m glad you found us! I have vintage homeschoolers and grownschoolers on my trips, so feel free to join us whenever your grownschoolersā€™ schedules allow it.

Iā€™ll keep on going - I have two granddaughters who are being homeschooled and their parents have informed me that I wonā€™t be retiring for a long, long time! :wink:

Warmly,
Dianna

1 Like

I can totally see the attraction of and benefits of homeschooling on a number of levels.

But I also wonder about how much homeschooled kids are exposed to a variety of ideas and are not just being, er, indoctrinated into sharing their parents views.

Arenā€™t they more likely to hear different viewpoints if theyā€™re in school?

1 Like