Eyeglasses on Rides

Will be going to Universal in May and am concerned about my glasses. Any other eyeglasses wearers out there with advice on wearing them on rides? Do you wear a strap? If so, what brand?

I’ve not spent much time at UOR specifically, but I’ve been wearing glasses since age 10 and have never once needed to take them off on a ride and haven’t lost them yet. This includes coasters with inversions.

2 Likes

I wore these on the VelociCoaster. They slip on the back of the glasses snugly.

I’m usually not too concerned about glasses flying off. But it definitely helped ease my concern.

3 Likes

We require my kids to wear glasses straps at our local amusement park - my 9 year old goes on some pretty intense rides and I just like knowing that they are secure. I don’t know if it’s necessary but I don’t want to find out the hard way that it is lol

1 Like

We have purchased Chums and have liked them.

1 Like

I used to use straps…but now use these. Love them, and they work on the most extreme coasters…

2 Likes

Oh, that looks interesting. Where do you get those?

Amazon.

This isn’t the brand we bought, but these look pretty much the same…

https://a.co/d/h2sMplK

1 Like

Thanks, all, for the suggestions!

1 Like

Go to a store that sells water sports gear (such as Academy, REI, etc.). One of the straps they sell for surfing, kayaking, etc. will work. My husband kayaks and the strap keeps his glasses on even when doing rolls.

1 Like

I have been to UOR many times & wear eyeglasses on every ride.

IME - With the exception of Rip Ride Rock’It, Hulk & VelociCoaster you can wear your glasses on every attraction with no issues or special accessories.

However, if you want to be safe any cheap eyeglass “strap” will be fine.

I got a bundle, like these, for around $8 on Amazon. They work fine. However, I hate the way they look in photos. I just went back to wearing my glasses without them and removing and storing them in lockers on those three rides

Another reason I really like these new eyeglass holders I’ve been using. When you have your glasses on, they are perfectly secure…but you can’t even tell you are wearing them.

Year’s ago, I remember coming home from Cedar Point, and we stopped at a convenience store to use the restroom and to grab a snack. When I was in line, the guy behind me called me “dexter” because I still had the eyeglass band on, dangling behind me. I wasn’t offended or anything, but it did make me aware at how such bands may be perceived by others. Anyhow, the little rubberized things you attach to the arms (Not sure what to call them, since they aren’t “bands”) make it moot.

1 Like

I think I’m lacking this

I do wear this kind of thing when running, more because I don’t like to have to constantly push my glasses back up my face than fear of losing them.

But I honestly have never once given consideration to “how it is perceived by others”. I do what I need to for me :person_shrugging:t4:

:rofl:

Just another way I’m broken

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t care. I continued to use eyeglass bands for years…up until about 2 years ago, when my wife first discovered these new things and I gave them a try!

I just meant, I had never considered what they looked like to others until that moment! (Honestly, I felt it had more to say about this guy behind me who felt free enough to mildly insult some random guy from behind at a convenience store!!!)

This is so rude and obnoxious.

I was really worried that my kids would get teased when they started wearing glasses (at ages 5 & 2) but I have been pleasantly surprised and thrilled that the “four eyes” jokes have seemed to disappear and my kid has never been teased for wearing a strap. I’m hopeful that this sticks long term and that kids are growing up with glasses being more normalized.

I just don’t understand why someone would willingly make a rude comment to a stranger, but I also recognize my naïveté.

1 Like

When little kids get the super flexible glasses, you can’t mold the ear piece to fit your face. The only option is the strap or the ones that you have. My son did really learn to like the flexible ones that went behind his ear (like yours) before he got “big kid” glasses.

1 Like

I just got a new pair of eyeglasses, and having been thoroughly frustrated by my last pair which never were able to be adjusted to my liking, I decided to give something else a try.

I ordered a set of eyeglass securers, which had several sets of different options to try.

I never would have thought I would like these, but I love them, they are so comfortable, completely discreet, and my glasses do not move

So I wanted to come back and say thank you for mentioning these! Although I’ve never had concerns about losing my glasses, I do get super tired of pushing them back up my face all day long. And now I don’t need to worry about that anymore.

7 Likes

I am glad. I will pass the thanks to my wife, since she is the one who found them originally!

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion, @ryan1! I appreciate you sharing a potential option for safely wearing glasses on rides that is also comfortable.