Explain it to me like I’m 5: using a car onsite

First time using a car while staying onsite! And I don’t know what to do for MK, AK, and HS.

Since I’m traveling with young children, there are a lot of unknowns. I’m not going to wake them up to hit rope drop if they are sleeping, because if they sleep in, then they are clearly exhausted because it is not the norm. The chances of us taking a mid-day break are slim, except for MK where we hope to stay late to see fireworks. The other days, we plan to leave around bedtime when the kids are tapped out for the day. We are starting at the cabins at the campground so I know we have some sort of ferry access. But the theme of the trip is “flexibility.”

Questions that I can think of:
Just to confirm, parking is free for onsite guests?
If we get there late, are we looking at a mile long walk through a parking lot? That would make me lean toward bus service….
What time do lots open? An hour before open? I don’t remember.
Any other info I’m missing that you think is helpful?

We’ve always used the bus service onsite and never been disappointed with it, but I know the campground has an extensive bus system, so who knows, it may be annoying for once.

4 Likes

Yes

Possibly to the entrance but trams are back in all parks now, so short walk to tram!

I believe it is indeed 1hr before. If you get there earlier sometimes you can breeze on through, but sometimes you get turned away/around

Best park for busing: MK (but in your case probably ferry, even better!)
All other parks best for driving.

6 Likes

Sometimes the $25 fee for preferred parking is “worth” every penny. (Upcharge since your parking is already paid for).

3 Likes

Yes agree! More especially in pre-tram-return days. But even now it can be worth it. And the tag goes with you if you hop to another park, meaning you can premium park at the next park(s) too!

2 Likes

Oh that’s great! I did not know! Thank you

1 Like

Ooh that sounds especially helpful if we want to do a mid-day break.

2 Likes

How do they know that I’m staying onsite? So I show them my res on MDE? Or does the resort give me a pass to show?

1 Like

I always travel with a magic band but a room key or magic mobile should work too.

2 Likes

Yes, that or your MB or maybe even one of those plastic room keys. They scan in other words.

2 Likes

We LOVED using the ferry from the campgrounds to MK. Highly recommended. The internal bus system wasn’t terrible. It added a little extra time though. I think it would be a wash. At least driving you can travel to and from the parks comfortably.

4 Likes

An hour before EE for all parks except MK. We were told to go wait elsewhere when we showed up too early at HS! MK is at least an hour before EE. I couldn’t get a real answer from the CM. I think MK opens earlier than 1 hour before EE.

There doesn’t seem to be any rhythm or reason on where you park each day. Last month, I have showed up for park opening and parked closer than when I showed up for EE. And EE doesn’t start parking in the same lot every time!:weary:

Go with preferred. That’s more predictable parking! The double strollers looked like they were a hassle to fold on the trams. You don’t need to fold the stroller on the ferry or monorail from the MK parking lot.

4 Likes

Oh great point about the strollers

3 Likes

I’m way past my stroller days but I have pity on parents trying to collapse those large strollers before getting them on a tram or bus! :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

I’m still choosing to forget the Stroller Years :laughing:
I completely didn’t even think of it!

3 Likes

Valid point about the stroller! Thank you!

1 Like

Can we talk magic bands and memory maker for a moment? We have old magic bands, circa v2020. So my understanding is that they won’t work for ride photos anymore, but should work for photopass photographers. Is that right? Is there an alternative way to get on ride photos? I don’t think they all have the scan points afterward anymore…

2 Likes

Old magic bands, such as yours, will continue to work for anything you tap/touch such as hotel rooms, park entry, LL tap points, restaurant and store purchases, photopass photographers, and after-ride photo touchpoints where they show on-ride photos. Most rides, but not all, have those on-ride photo displays where you can touch to “grab” your photo. You can also use your phone, but I will have to search for the info on that. Last month, I’d hoped to use my phone for on-ride photos, but I must not have done it right.

4 Likes

Planning on leaving luggage in my trunk for last day with late flight. Any reason to worry? I’m assuming lots at DW are secure but that might be naive.

2 Likes

Yes! It seems safe.

I’m from the San Francisco area. Here, we are told never leave stuff in the car or trunk. It’s ingrained in my brain.

I arrived red eye last month and went to AKL to have breakfast with some Liners. I asked bell service if it was safe to leave my luggage in the trunk. He looked at me as if I had grown an extra head! I still hauled my work laptop with me though. I didn’t want to explain to my boss why I was working in FL!

Every time I’m at WDW, my faith in humanity is restored in terms of car break ins and having high value items returned (my new iPhone and my fanny pack with my wallet).

3 Likes

The only thing you might want to consider is temperature.
Although my family has left luggage in the rental for the hottest part of the day in June, you might want to be aware of electronics and foods.