Close your eyes. Take a deep breath. Breath in, breath out. Repeat - breath in, breath out. Relax.
Feel better now?
There are multiple threads going on right now about crowd levels, with everyone angsting over the increases. My trip the week of Feb 16 increased quite a bit in a lot of places. But I’m not stressed in the slightest. Why?
- Whatever TouringPlans predicts, right or wrong, has zero impact on what actually happens. The crowds will be what the crowds will be.
- It’s not like TP’s older predictions were unreasonable. They looked to be so based on prior years. The new levels are based on new information, mainly last Fall’s increases.
- I personally think they are being a bit overagressive in their increases, but they know more than me in this area, so I’ll trust them for planning purposes. They’ll probably adjust again once they see if Disney is cutting staff or not in Jan like they did last year. My guess is they’ll adjust downward, probably to a middle point between what they were and what they are now.
- A 10 is a bit misleading, no matter what. TP has it so that once wait times reach a certain amount, it’s a 10. But looking at historical crowds, there’s a big difference between “normal” 10s and the 10 of Christmas/New Years Eve. Most of these won’t be Christmas-level crowds.
And most importantly:
- A good touring plan will allow you to have a great time no matter what the CL
So what to do?
- If you’ve already booked FPs, don’t try to change days in reaction to the changing CLs. Just go with it, re-optimize your plans, and follow them.
- Continue to reoptimize as your date approaches.
- Use the plan when in the park. Re-optimize after each attraction to account for real-world conditions.
- Make use of additional FPs using the grab-and-modify method (explained so well by @OBNurseNH in her post at How to maximize the FPP system to minimize ALL of your waits – not just the first three) .
- Relax. Have fun. It’s a vacation. Don’t stress about things you can’t control, just plan for them and you will have a great time.