European Parks

Have any of you visited any parks in Europe? DLP is in Europe but not for this topic.

2 Likes

I think @sanstitre_has_left_the_building has mentioned that there are good amusement parks, but not ā€œthemeā€ parks. Perhaps Iā€™m remembering this wrong though.

To start this off last year went to a park near Nantes in western France called Puy Du Fou. I is a great little park featuring shows and walk throughs focussing on history of the area. There is a medieval village, a 1900 town, a brilliant Viking show where a Viking longboat rises from under a river with Vikings on board who leap into action.

It also has 4 themed hotels - A gallo-roman villa, a merrovingian village, a castle (Chateau) and a renaissance Lodge. There are also 2 expansive night time shows along the lines of Fantasmic but focussed on history of the area. If I remember correctly around 8ooo costumes are used in the show and there are around 3ooo cast. It was very spectacular. Seating for 10000.

We also explored a park called Futuroscope, just outside Poitiers. This park is a bit like Epcot with rides, shows, IMAX screens, an arial bar - where you sit at the bar which rises up about 150/200 feet while you are enjoying a drink (soft or otherwise). Great play areas for toddlers and plenty for adults too.

1 Like

Is @sanstitre_has_left_the_building from the UK - it seems they do not want to be part of Europe anymore but UK has a number of ā€˜Parksā€™ not exactly all of which I would class as theme parks as they are primarily coaster rides. I have been to the Warner Brothers Studio Tour - where Harry Potter films were made - which is very themed and has better butter beer than the beverage at Universal

This sounds awesome!

Yes it was great. We have been there 3 times now, staying a different themed hotel each time. Twice we went via coach and last year I drove down from St Malo as we wanted to do the 2 parks. Driving in France is very pleasant, not that much traffic, except around the city ring roads - nothing like here where if you drive to work it can take you 30-45 minutes to go 3 miles!

We went to DLP this summer and driving there round the Paris ring rad was a nightmare.

If anyone is interested here is a like to the PDF website Puy du Fou - Bien plus qu'un parc d'attractions : Spectacles, SĆ©jours et billets It is in French and English and possibly German and Spanish. :grin:

1 Like

In the summer of 2014, we visited Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen on several evenings during our week stay. It was one of Walt Disneyā€™s inspirations for DL. The rides are more on a quaint carnival level but the gardens and many, many restaurants are excellent in theming and cuisine. If you are ever in Denmark, you should go.

1 Like

We went to Europa Park in Germany, in summer 2005. It was a lot of fun. They also have themed hotels.

They had some of the most amazing roller coasters. It was a lot of fun.

I imagine we might be looking for a way to go back again one day.

1 Like

Yes, he is.

The morons and the racists donā€™t want to be part of Europe anymore. I do.

Iā€™m not sure how Iā€™d define theme park. My two nearest ones are Alton Towers and Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Both have some excellent rides ā€” better rollercoasters than at WDW and maybe even UOR. But theyā€™re not really themed parks as such.

4 Likes

I loved the Studio Tour, but I did think it needed a few rides!

I live not far from @sanstitre_has_left_the_building so his nearest parks are also my nearest parks. They do call themselves theme parks, but I agree that they are not very themed (I also agree with him about Europe).

I have been looking at Efteling in the Netherlands, but we probably wonā€™t go.

I have been to Port Aventura in Spain, but not since 2013. Thatā€™s well themed and has good rides for all ages, we really enjoyed it.

2 Likes

Bonjour, ca va?

Being from the Channel Islands we are not in the EU but are associate members - we are inly a few miles from France so it is 1 hour on the car ferry to St Malo or 5 hours on the car ferry to Poole! And yes it seems odd that a minority of the electorate (less that half of the electorate vote to leave the EU) can force a country to leave an alliance that has been in place since the 1970ā€™s.

1 Like

We went to Tera Miticca in Benidorm, Spain around 10 years ago. Lots of fun rides and nice theming - European/Mediterranean historical/mythical.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been to St Malo years ago with Eurocamp.