Ethical eating at WDW

This is sadly true.

This surprises me. I always felt the meat in the UK tasted better.

1 Like

I loved the upcharge beef. It melted in my mouth. I still dream about it. OPEN UP V&A!

1 Like

3 Likes

For the past year, we eat vegan around 85% of the time. (Basically, we are ā€œvegan at home.ā€) It was far easier than I expected; I am never not gonna have a great pizza once in a while, or eat the local specialty on a trip, but eating vegan all but maybe 3 or 4 meals a week is pretty easy. The impetus was a combination of animal welfare, environmental, and health . . . my cholesterol dropped 87 points in the first six months. The nice side benefit is the fact that when I do choose meat (and itā€™s usually something in a restaurant where they tell you the source, or because a friend is cooking for me) I am very careful to make sure itā€™s worth it, and I enjoy it so much more than when it was a regular thing.

4 Likes

I have had experience with meat in a few different countries and I think the difference in taste and treatment has more to do with the quality of the meat than its source country. For example, beef in a McDonaldā€™s hamburger can barely be called meat, while a filet mignon from a high-end steakhouse will generally be tender and flavorful. We Americans are good at differentiating products based on tiers.

3 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

8 Likes

Iā€™m not the only one questioning this :joy:

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I know you can get sustainable fish at WDW! The rest I am unclear on.

Your post surprised me! I thought I heard something on NPR not too long ago about new animal welfare standards in the UK, and the focus of the piece was on shellfish. I was under the impression that standards were tightening, since the piece went into depth about how boiling lobsters and crabs alive wasnā€™t going to be allowed in the UK anymore. (Though Iā€™m not sure that thereā€™s a quicker sure-fire method for the home cook than head first into boiling water. The only real solution the piece offered was $3,000ish device you can buy to stun them first. I guess you could try to pith them - but if you donā€™t know what youā€™re doing I imagine youā€™d do more harm than good going at the creatureā€™s head with a knife. And with a decentralized nervous system, Iā€™m not sure pithing would work anyways. But I digress.)

I donā€™t have any Disney-specific advice, but do you do community-supported agriculture in the UK? Thereā€™s a program in my area that supplies meat grown locally to relatively high standards (ex. animals raised outside on pastures and never administered hormones or prophylactic antibiotics) through CSA shares.

1 Like