ECV / Scooter Tips and Tricks - share yours here!

I am so glad you took my advice. I have delt with other companies here in NJ that are great, but nothing compares to scootorlando. I hope others see this and start using them as well.

2 Likes

Thanks. We had an amazing time. It was hotter than the surface of the sun :rofl::rofl: and super humid but using the ECVs made the trip doable. It was so great being someplace that accessibility didn’t always feel like an afterthought.

Btw, most elevators we could fit both ECVs but Poly we had to do one at a time. So yeah those older elevators are smaller so budget more time to get places because you might have to do multiple elevator trips.

2 Likes

I bring up Scoot Orlando whenever I get the chance. Your advice was crucial to us having a great time! I thank you, thank you, thank you for the recommendation!!

2 Likes

Definitely this. And if you’re on a middle floor, you may have to let several go by while waiting for one with few to no people.

1 Like

We are going on my son’s make a wish trip in about 60ish days and I just shattered my ankle, had surgery, etc. I will need an ECV for the trip, but this whole thing is new for me.

Thank you for all the tips. I’ll be honest I hate that I will need one, it just seems like it will be so hard for us to move around with an ECV and large stroller for the kids. Plus constantly reminding my young kids it’s not a toy. I’m also a bit embarrassed. I know I’m being stupid. Your advice is putting me at ease. Thank you.

Question:
After a couple days at shades of green, we will be staying offsite at the Wish Kids village and will be using our minivan to get around. We will also have a stroller/wagon for our young kids/wish kids to tote around. Is it possible to move a non-portable ECV in a minivan? We anticipate long days at the park bc the wish village is a decent drive from WDW. Weight isn’t a concern.

Our wish agency insists on ordering it for us and they use Orlando Medical Rentals. They told me to tell them what scooter I want. Any advice?

4 Likes

Oh. NO!!!

Ack!!!

What bummer timing for your ankle. Please don’t feel embarrassed about using an ecv. It will make it so much easier on you to enjoy your trip. As far as the scooter company they show a portable version on their website. The nonportable one say it weighs 133 pounds and was not meant to fit in a truck bed so I’m assuming you couldn’t get it into a van even if you could lift it.

2 Likes

I would check out www.scootorlando.com. They have many types and sizes of ECVs you can give them a call and tell them what your situation is and they might be able to help you.

2 Likes

Orlando Medical has the ‘buzz around’ scooter as their portable option. We’ve used it before and I can confirm that it can be packed up in a minivan as long as you aren’t using all of the seats in it and can fold one down. Alternatively, you could request a power wheelchair and a ramp, which would allow you drive it up into the minivan. Power wheelchairs take some getting used to, but it would be a smoother transition once you’re used to it (and even better if you’re not paying for it!).

For the buzz-around ECV, two things you need to know - First, it takes a few minutes to assemble. No problem with adults, but kids can get antsy. Second, the heaviest piece is around 50 lbs, but if you don’t take the batteries out of the back every time you disassemble, it’s closer to 90 lbs.

Not sure who is with you, but someone used to dead-lifting that amount of weight without a handle will be required. You cannot assemble and take apart on your own with a broken foot.

The ankle/ECV will contribute to the logistics of your trip, yes. It will also contribute to the memorable-ness of your trip, which is what the trip is about. Keep yourselves flexible, patient and on the lookout for magic. :blush:

1 Like

I have used Gold Mobility - when we needed two scooters that could be broken down to fit in a mini van (while still allowing 7 people to fit - we had a Toyota Sienna) and Walker when we only needed one scooter - with an SUV rental. My moms favourite was the one from Walker because she requested the Pink one so it stood out.

Great experiences with both companies.

1 Like

If you’re staying solo, bring a little rubber door stopper. You’ll need it to hold open your room door so you can drive in and out since you won’t have someone to hold it open for you.

I’d skip adding on the back basket when renting because it makes your ECV longer and more difficult to parallel park on the buses.

4 Likes

This is so helpful! My mom is using an ECV for the first time in a few weeks. She is nervous and self conscious but I know it will be so helpful in conserving her energy so she can actually enjoy things and reduce the likelihood that she’ll be in pain all the time. I’m brainstorming flashy decor for the ECV now!

4 Likes

We had a stroller on a September trip. We used a fall colors leaf garland and a short string of lights, battery operated. On a December trip at Fort Wilderness we decorated a golf cart.

Love to hear what you decide on. :blush:

2 Likes

Love that! We have a stroller plus an ECV and that sounds like amazing themeing!

2 Likes

I’ve completely used @janamelia idea of leaf garland plus fairy lights…and added my own stroller sign and ECV sign. Will post pictures of the finished products!

3 Likes

What do you use to cover the ECV for rain?

An extra poncho works well.

Here’s the decorated ECV plus stroller! Ready to roll out in the morning!

8 Likes

I love that you chose Eeyore!!!

3 Likes