ECV Advice (Solo Trip)

Also, the in park ones are bulky to drive, slower, and generally don’t hold a charge as long.

2 Likes

Something to keep in mind -

Renting @ the parks is just that…we found that we off- site and the ability to use at the resorts is important for members of our family and incredibly convenient- For example getting from Kidani over to eat at Mara…they have shuttles but it’s generally faster to walk/scoot over

1 Like

First of all they are more expensive at the park.
You have to walk from where ever you are dropped off at all the way trough security, the entrance and then wait in line inside the park to get one. Just to find out that they are sold out.

1 Like

I keep thinking of this alternative because I feel active still, just limited.

However, it’s costly, and I don’t live in a town/city. So perhaps it’s not my solution, though I like this idea better than a rollator or ecv.

Leaving the link for others’ contemplation.

3 Likes

Very interesting. As an alternative to walking, this looks great. I would think, though, that a lot of places wouldn’t allow those into their buildings, though.

As a mobility device, under ADA I don’t think they can deny them.

3 Likes

It is certainly not seen a lot. And apparently requires getting used to, from the web sites info. There’s a learning curve, tho after that these seem really mobile.

I might be too short - my inseam is less than 27".
But the stated benefits of this device seem like a good fix for both DH and me.

When I was investigating rollators, a CM said he’d had to work a bit at getting permission to use a rollator when working.

As @amvanhoose_701479 mentioned, if these are defined as assistive devices they have to be allowed.

1 Like

It was really easy renting from buena vista scooters. They drop it off the night before at guest services and we fit the portable one in a sedan trunk of a regular Uber. Half way through the trip I stopped paying for the XL Uber and we didn’t have any trouble with just 2 of us and the scooter. They also replaced the scooter when it wasn’t holding a charge correctly and was too slow.

1 Like

I don’t need anything like this, but that looks awesome.
Seems like a huge side benefit is that it looks so much like a bike. People on bikes are considered fit and capable. So, none of that not looking people in the eye on a wheelchair.

1 Like

Exactly

I just made this exact mistake. :roll_eyes: Booked a room at ASMo and didn’t think to look for wheelchair accessible rooms… Can I just bring a little doorstop with me and get the scooter in and out that way? :laughing: Or do I need to rebook a different room?

Looks like there’s availability for accessible rooms at the same rate for my dates, so maybe I could just contact them and request a switch without needing to rebook. :thinking:

Okay, I’m feeling like my questions just get dumber and dumber, so bear with me! But if I only need to get the scooter in and out of my room by myself (in other words, I don’t need to maneuver it around the room or into the bathroom, and I don’t need to use a wheelchair in the shower, etc.) then do I really need an accessible room at all?

This is all new to me, but in my mind the trickiest thing is getting it in and out of the room without someone to hold the door open for me! :thinking: But maybe a scooter won’t even fit through a standard doorway? Total ECV newbie here, so I apologize if these are just plain silly questions!

(I did finally accept the fact that it would be much better to stay onsite vs off-site with rental car when I’m trying to manage an ECV all by myself, so I appreciate everyone’s input on that question and am definitely taking your advice to heart! :laughing: )

1 Like

Values don’t have automatic doors. Actually, I don’t remember automatic doors in AKL, either. In accessible rooms (values), the doorways are not angled like regular rooms’ doorways, which makes it easier to get the ECVs into the room.

1 Like

Oh, ECVs fit through normal doors.

1 Like

Good to know! Thank you! So, it sounds like the only reason for changing my reservation would be to make it a little bit easier to get the ECV in and out of the room because it’s a straight shot in an accessible room rather than an angled doorway?

Exactly.

1 Like

I recently researched this topic for my mom. The ECVs at the park is $70 (includes a $20 deposit) each day. The entire week with ScooterBug(?) was like $170. They would deliver to our off-site location (JW Marriott Bonnet Creek).

In the end, she purchased a Scooter and will take it with us. The battery for her scooter is 29 lbs. That’s the heaviest part if we take it apart. If deciding to rent a car and staying off-site please be aware of the battery weight.

1 Like

We stayed at sports and movies and the doors were angled and they shut on us all the time, but this was before the remodels.

Was it truly an accessible room? Or one that they rigged up to be accessible? Wow. How accessible can that be? All the accessible rooms I’ve been in had non-angled.

All doors in values close like that. OP should definitely bring something to prop them open. Meant to say that in my reply.

1 Like