Early Check-in vs. Room Upgrade

Newbie here so I’ll be sure to show off my ignorance by asking a question you all have probably answered many times before. The Unofficial Guide suggests asking for a room upgrade at check-in (which I intend to do, realizing there’s little chance we’ll get one), but the mydisneyexperience site is already prompting me to start the early check-in process. I’m operating under the assumption that if I check-in early, so we don’t need to go to the front desk on arrival, there will be no opportunity to request a room upgrade. Am I wrong about that? Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Interesting that they tell you that. I believe most upgrades are assigned prior to check in and are impacted by your length of stay and available rooms. I have been upgraded multiple times during one and two night stays. I always do online check in and I have never asked for an upgrade.

I hope it works for you. You can always do online check in and still go to the desk. Let us know if you get an upgrade!

5 Likes

This was my first thought. I’ve never asked for an upgrade, but I know folks who’ve received one. It never hurts to ask! When I’m asking for something a little extra, I usually go in with an expectation of being told no, and keep a smile on my face and in my voice no matter what. I think a good attitude goes a long way! Good luck! Where are you staying?

5 Likes

Thank you. We’re staying 7 nights at the Polynesian. I’ve honestly never asked for an upgrade before either, but there’s a first time for everything I guess.

2 Likes

What view did you book? Regular resort rooms?

2 Likes

Yessir. “Resort view”.

2 Likes

As long as you haven’t gone in the room (and even if you do, though it’s more complicated for them), they can always change your assignment after you’ve done online check-in.

If your priority is getting a room fast, do online check-in and go straight to your room.

If your priority is an upgraded / best available room in your category, either check in online or don’t, but definitely go to the front desk upon arrival and ask.

4 Likes

Honestly at Poly I always focus on my desire for a balcony. Is a patio or balcony important to you? Your only upgrades would be view or club level?

3 Likes

I’ve always done in person check-in in the past. How does on-line check-in speed the process? I would still need to go to the front desk to get room assignment and keys when I arrive, right?

I ask because next trip we may be going to MNSSHP on arrival day and every minute saved will be an extra minute in MK before the party starts.

1 Like

No you can go straight to your room and enter with your MagicBand (or phone if you are lucky enough to get it to work. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: – always glitches for me). I like it cause I don’t have to talk to a human being and I get my room assignment text typically when I’m on my way over.

3 Likes

Wow. I never knew that. Last year, we spent about 20 minutes waiting in the check-in line at BLT and then checking in. I’d rather spend those 20 minutes at MK.

Now I’m trying to figure out how to skip the counter for our rental car and get the car directly from the lot. I’ve heard of some people doing this. The car rental counter line is usually 30-45 minutes at MCO.

1 Like

A balcony would be nice but, at this point I’ll call a room away from the construction a win. I’ve requested a couple of Resort View rooms that, if we lucked into those, that would be pretty close to an upgrade in and of itself.

I haven’t checked in at the desk in years. I’ve always done online check in. Get text when room is ready and use magic band to go on in. When I’ve dropped bags at bell service and gone straight to the parks, bell service has even delivered my luggage to the room so it’s there for us when we come back from the parks.

4 Likes

Honestly, I was thinking about the construction zone. I would use the touring plans room request, and add a note (requesting your room category)?” telling them you are there fur a special occasion and could you be in ……… building (away from construction), and thanking them.

Poly can be weird with requests, but it does not hurt to put it in the system.

2 Likes

We do this with National. You book the Emerald Aisle category, and so don’t have to go to the counter. Just pick any car in the Emerald Aisle section! When you go to leave, they will take any payment info at the booth. Very fast and easy.

We also don’t check-in at the desk at Disney. Just go straight to our room after we get our room ready text.

2 Likes

I book Alamo through Costco. I have the Alamo app and an Alamo Insider account. I link my Costco rental to the app and go direct to the car.

3 Likes

Book with Alamo. They offer this on your first rental

2 Likes

We used to get upgraded all the time and I didn’t even realize it was a thing! The nicest was when my husband and I went to the GF for our 30th anniversary and we were upgraded to club level!
I did put in a room request through touring plans for a couple of reasons but the main one is I want to be as far from Cape May as possible because I’ve have shellfish anaphylaxis episodes. Even the smell can being on wheezing. Wish I knew the direct number to the Beach Club so I could speak to a CM directly. The only reason we’re staying there is because this is likely our last trip to WDW and our grandsons loved pictures of the pool.

1 Like

This may be the most reasonable reason for a room request I have ever heard.

5 Likes