Dvc resale offers

Legally they have to present all offers. But they may know from the seller that it’s not going to be accepted.

1 Like

If they get a full price offer first they don’t present any other offers. At least that was what DVC resale said. I asked the question on the welcome Home Podcast.

The discount offered for 150 direct SSR points is $5 so SSR is $160 a point (same as that BWV 100 point resale contract…)

1 Like

I don’t know how they do that then because I got almost an immediate email back saying they were only accepting full price offers. There is no way they would have had time to contact the seller. It was just very shady to me and I stopped working with them because of it.

I have seen some posting that have said that only full price offers would be accepted, but not every posting.

1 Like

Hmm, I wonder if its because the person planned on using their 2021 points in november?

What other places did you look (can you provide websites?)

1 Like

Are you DVC owners able to see on Disney’s DVC website what they are selling direct? For me, they are only offering Riveria/Aulani as resorts I can see pricing ($201 per point). They really want you to call and speak to someone…

They will sell you direct just about anything (except GC) https://www.buyandselldvc.com/index.php/buying/direct-disney-prices

Tis will help with prices.

1 Like

DVCstore.com is who I ultimately went through. I stalked their website a couple times a day every day for a couple months.

ResalesDVC.com is who a friend of mine has used twice.

DVCshop.com, fidelityrealestate.com, dvcresaleexperts.com are also sites I frequently searched.

2 Likes

Something to keep in mind- it was recently reported that the Guides get a bigger commission from the resorts being actively sold. That is why they will push them.

Sorry I’m a little late for this discussion, but I’ve just been in the same situation of choosing home resort, making all of the calculations to get the best deal… but at the end, the only resort that made me want to make an offer was Beach Club… I dream of that lobby smell, so buying Saratoga knowing that I would probably never get a studio at BC for my trips having stayed there for the past 5 years… that was a deal breaker for me. At the end, I realised that this is a very large purchase and I thought I had to be 100% satisfied.
I checked all these websites many times a day, but ended up finding my contract on the most expensive one, DVC Resale Market. It was a contract with 2020 points banked to 2021 and full 2021 and 2022 points. Asking price was $162. I made an offer of $151 and that was accepted, no counter offer! For an almost loaded contract! Was it a bargain? I don’t think so, but I felt comfortable and the market is very difficult now.
DVC Resale Market has a blog and they have the average selling price for each resort in the previous month. Try to check that.
As others have mentioned, the ROFR thread on the disboards helps too. And AKV has had a lot of buy backs from Disney for prices below $120. This drives the resale market to higher prices.
I thought Fidelity Real Estate had some good deals listed and Dvc magic resales tend to have listings at lower prices too.
I was in a hurry because I want to use my points for a March, 2022 trip, but if you don’t have anything planned yet, wait for the best deal for you.
Sorry for writing too much. It’s all too fresh for me. Still waiting on ROFR.
Good luck on your DVC journey! :smiley:

4 Likes

Ok, but the resale contract is $6,000 less up front. What about what the buyer does with that extra $6000 over the 21 years if they buy the resale contract? If they invest it with an annual rate of return of 4%, they’d make around $7,000, right? (This is not taking inflation into account.)

If you divide that $7,000 by the 21 years, you end up averaging $340/year. So doesn’t that make the effective price $500-$340=$160/year for the resale contract?

Lol, DVC is NOT a long term investment strategy. When you buy DVC you can look at it in terms of how much you are locking your room rate over the next 22-49 years but I don’t think we should compare that goal and the goal to grow your assets. If you figure the 4% growth would you then add the 700-1000 a night rooms will cost those last years you are not locked in to the resale price? I generally believe that Disney will raise costs at a rate higher than most investments could earn?

I have included numbers on this thread but the reality is that there are times, such as @Taticestari’s BC contact or my BWV contact, when you could ignore all the numbers (although I must admit those $165 BWV contracts make me feel better) because your thoughts shifts from the cost to the joy it brings you.

I can retire and I have my greatest expense when I go to Disney (I am a princess that needs to stay moderate/deluxe) all set.

4 Likes

That’s what we are doing. We want to rent points at the resort we’re interested in first to make sure we love it before buying. So we’re going to rent in October 2022. Hopefully some of the point issues from covid will have settled and maybe the market will settle some also.
It’s a risk, but one I’m willing to take.

1 Like

We bought a tiny BWV contract in December and I had been watching for a while. I was too slow on one for $151 per point in the fall and so when I got the alert for $147 on my phone I literally clicked to make an offer then and there. I was going to offer $150, but ironically the system was setup for “full price offers only” so I could ONLY offer $147 not even over! But I got the contract and I do think that they operate along the “first full price offer gets it.”

7 Likes

Still learning about DVC and it’s not a top priority right now, but can someone give me an idea of how much $$ on the low end someone might need to budget for. I know lots of variables etc I just want to know if we should even be considering DVC. Feel free to DM me if you don’t want to say on forum. Thanks.

What I would do is look on David’s calculator for how many nights you would want to stay at what resort and when etc. Look at the number of points it would need, not the price.

Adjust the number of points if this would be every 2 or 3 years (you can normally use 3 years of points at once).

Add about 10% to the number of points.

Now you have the number of points, multiply it by say $150 to get an idea of what it might cost. I’ve used that as a guide, if you’re wanting GFV then you’ll pay more, if you want SSR you’ll pay less.

And annual dues are about $8-9 per point.

3 Likes

I don’t think I saw anyone answer this yet. We’ve been renting DVC since 2014 - every other year, or so. Pulling up my spreadsheet to see if I have the points data. These are all prices direct from an owner - we didn’t go through a reseller. So they’re a few dollars cheaper than you’d expect from somewhere like David’s.

2014: $13pp @ BLT
2016: $13pp @ AKL, $14pp @ BLT
2018: $15pp @ OWK, Saratoga, $16pp everywhere else
2020: $18pp, everywhere. We ended up moving this to a 2021 trip

Current DVC rental prices are $19/20 pp via David’s.

3 Likes

Too true! I get that. :grinning:

No, agreed. The goal of saving money on vacation lodging is different from the goal of growing assets.

However, if you’re evaluating the cost/value of each contract, I do think you’re leaving something out if you don’t consider the differences in up front costs. It costs more money to borrow more money. If you don’t need to borrow but are using your savings, then spending more today means that you have less potential to earn returns tomorrow.

At the end of the day, your net worth is affected by your spending, borrowing, and investment habits and strategies. Just because you can’t directly compare them does not mean that you shouldn’t consider all angles when making a major purchase. Well, that’s my opinion at least.

I do think there’s a difference between saying “direct will definitely cost $6000 more, which means that our loan will definitely be $Y more (or we’ll probably loose out on $7000 in returns), let’s take that into consideration,” and saying “resale will only get us 21 years, lets take a guess at what we will want to do in 22-36 years and what the costs will be and take that into consideration.” Both involve estimates/assumptions, but the latter seems less solid.

But knowing myself, I’d probably create a financial model running the full 36 years and make the best comparison that I could using the most realistic assumptions that I had. The more detailed you make your model / calculations, the more informative the results. Well, as long as your assumptions are in the right ballpark range.

I have a problem with brevity (or a lack thereof) so I’ll blur this part which really is extraneous. Skip if you’re getting tired of my ramblings :slight_smile: When we were looking to buy a house, we found a place that we LOVED. We ran some numbers, thought we could afford it, and began drafting our offer letter. I concurrently ran a more detailed model including better info on the expected maintenance costs. To my distress, the better model showed that we couldn’t really afford it. (We ended up with a lovely house - not quite as close to our ideal as the first, but one that better suits our budget.) I’m not saying that DVC owners are in danger of buying more than they can afford - just that more detailed models can reveal new/more accurate info.

Absolutely! The financial angle is not the only angle to consider. When you really want something and it’s going to give non-financial rewards, it can totally be worth it! Not everything is about the bottom line. Indeed, the most important things can’t be measured in dollars at all!

4 Likes