DVC Pep talk? Any regrets?

Usually they can find something but not always your home resort. I have heard stories that sometimes even calling they may not be able to find anything for that first stay.

1 Like

Yes. The further out you book the waitlist the more likely you’ll get it, and they come through surprisingly often, even at tough to get resorts / categories. But don’t count on that when purchasing points.

2 Likes

As I look through the calendar, most time periods seem tough to book!

1 Like

For early Dec. 2022, we stalked BWV and managed to get 4 nights in a 1 bedroom garden view that worked for us…but I was checking daily, multiple times a day, until it suddenly showed up. I switched half our SSR stay (our home resort) to the BWV just a few months out. It takes persistence.

1 Like

7 months from now would be tough.

1 Like

I do not regret buying DVC at all. If anything I regret (only a little) not buying 25 points directly when I had the opportunity to become a full member at that amount. I have zero regrets around buying resale especially.

What does give me pause is that I am glad that we did not buy any more than the 125 that we own now. I had a 2 year old and one on the way when we bought in so I was fully in the “we will go to Disney every year” phase of life. (My 2 year old had already been twice.) But I consciously mapped out that this is a short phase in the scheme of a 40 year contract. DH and I knew that we would happily travel without the kids when they were older (or even now haha).

So we purposely bought points to do a single, long trip every 2-3 years. And so far that is really how we’ve traveled. Now the pandemic obviously happened during some prime Disney years for us and I will say that some of the changes at WDW (including ticket prices) have made it less appealing. My kids also seem to prefer other vacation types. So I will say that I do not regret buying our DVC but I think I would have regretted buying a ton of points up front for a travel lifestyle that wouldn’t last 40 years.

4 Likes

Are you planning to offload any of them?

Haha no! But if I had bought 100 at BWV instead of just 25 I would probably consider selling those.

3 Likes

What is CCV? Just curious.

Copper Creek Villas

1 Like

Are you saying that ~100 total points would work for your family/your travel style? I’ve done a small bit of looking into DVC, but I really don’t see us going more than every 2-3 years at most. I was thinking that on the small chance we might buy-in, banking/using current points/borrowing would be the only way I’d consider. Sounds like you might be similar?

2 Likes

When I bought in, it was my intention to go every three years and bank / borrow my points to match that cadence. But now it looks like we’ll be there at least for a few days a year so we are buying another contract. :joy:

4 Likes

My original math led me to buy 120 points. This number would have been perfect except we have used points to stay at Hilton Head for spring break, the Grand California for two nights over a mostly SoCal spring break and now two nights at Aulani. So ocassionally I have been stretched a bit thin.

Going forward I am anticipating:

• A 3 night stay every year duing low to mid-season (DD and I do a short mother daughter trip)
  • A five night stay 2 out of five years during the very highest season (family now adds on Universal)
  • Always staying studios

120 gets me there. Even though I am often seen dreaming of a 50 point contract around the forums…

3 Likes

Yes. I have two boys who are 4.5 and 7.5 right now. We took an 8 day trip in November that was 206 points. It was a split stay between a studio and a 1-bedroom. We are not planning to go this year and might go next year but I don’t have anything booked. I could be even more points savvy if I only booked studios.

We travel a lot outside of WDW and my kids are slightly less obsessed with Disney than I thought they would be. But, I have zero regrets around buying it in the first place and in fact it’s a little bit of insurance that we will keep going!

1 Like

It still might work out for you to be less points than you have, but I can nearly promise that as they grow you’ll lean into that 1BR more and more. We did hotel rooms and studios when mine were small too, but when they became teenagers and now real actual full grown people that’s just not even an option for us to consider anymore.

2 Likes

Oh I definitely agree! I love me the 1-bedroom. Now if we could just have the pull downs in each one that would be great, thnx.

2 Likes

Agree 100%. I think nearly all of them will get there. There are a few that have design issues that won’t allow for it but most will

1 Like

My original plan would have allowed some one bedrooms, but for some.reason I didn’t think I would be traveling in the highest of high seasons (or once a year with DD).

One kid makes studios easier - but she is beginning to reject the pull out coaches. She and DH both chose a Savannah view room over a value 1 bedroom that gambled on no savannah view. We will see how long it lasts.

1 Like

One thing to think about is that while DVC direct prices stay mostly the same (with a discount here and there), resale goes up and down with the economy. Right now, resale prices are good and Disney isn’t exercising ROFR much at all. Buying resale where you think you’ll want to stay, or by dues price, and then renting points with one of the big companies or on Facebook groups would give you the cash to use to stay where you like; you can also rent from other owners in those same areas. A bit more of a workaround, but less of a financial risk.

We bought 160 BLT points in 2019 because we knew we had a BIG family trip in 2021 we wanted to take and definitely wanted to stay there. We moved that trip to 2022 and DH’s parents “rented” from us instead of a rando and we’ve used about 1/2 the points every year and rented the rest. This year we’ll use them all (did a Disneyland trip in Feb, Christmas at BLT, and have a waitlist for a few fall weekends) so it’ll be the first year where renting out some of our points didn’t pay for our dues (and the big rental paid for most of the cost of the points!) Just a new way to calculate some Disney math. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As an outsider what I don’t get it only using points to go every 2-3 years but paying fees every year which from what I’ve read are not cheap. I struggle to see how it’s a big value over renting points every 2-3 years by the time you’ve payed all the fees. I definitely don’t see how getting a loan to buy points would be saving money at all. I think if I bought it would be cash with a resale contract, but even that I’m not fully convinced of even being a huge Disney fan. But clearly you all get something I don’t.
I also think if I knew how much of a fan I would be it would have been worth it to buy in 2010 when points were cheaper. But the price per point now is :exploding_head:

6 Likes