DVC Pep talk? Any regrets?

Yep. That’s what I was thinking.

2 Likes

I worry about all three regularly, thus I haven’t gotten to a point where I feel good about buying in. I could easily see myself regretting it just as easily as loving it. I like having the door open to be able to walk away from Disney on a moment’s notice if I feel like it. Not sure going for the foreseeable future is what I really want or if I’m in a temporary phase and will move on to other interests. It’s just too uncertain and I don’t make long term plans typically. I do appreciate you recognizing that the choice isn’t so obvious for everyone.

8 Likes

Yeah they are legitimate concerns! I’ve been going to Disney almost all my life, but Disney World has been a once every 3-5 year visit up until just a few years ago. If that hadn’t changed, I probably never would have bought in.

2 Likes

I don’t think with DVC “regretting it” is real. If an owner decides they no longer want DVC, you can sell it. It is not guaranteed but often you selling price is higher than your purchase price (especially if you buy direct at offering- but maybe that was only for resorts sold without restrictions). You can also rent your points out for income if you don’t want to go to Disney.

I assume regrets would be you bought, you’re stuck. That is not a concern with DVC.

1 Like

Is that at all properties, or just the new Cali Tower?

It’s not just at the Cali Tower but I don’t know that it’s at all resorts.

Huh. Ok let’s just keep this between ourselves. My DH does not need this information :joy:

3 Likes

If you’re interested in more information it’s Called Magical Beginnings program (not sure if that was mentioned up above). It only applies to use years whose banking window hasn’t passed.

One person in a group I’m in combined multiple discounts/programs to get the Cali tower down to something like $168/point

Check the DVC website for more info

1 Like

Yes, the $168 was a combo of a Disney Visa, Magical Beginnings, and 200 point incentives?

1 Like

Yes something like that.

It is for all of the properies that are not yet sold.out - VGF, AulanI, Riviera, DL tower.

In fact the Tower only had 2023 UY points, so not as good a deal as the other locations.

The deal is called “magical beginnings”. I think it runs through May 29.

@Tall_Paul1 I agree that DVC isn’t automatically a no brainer for everyone. The big trigger for me with the OP is that they already stay in the most expensive deluxe resorts.

The flexibility is the only caution flag. As long as you have notice that you have to cancel it isn’t usually bad. BUT it gets much more complicated if you are barrowing and banking for a stay - because that reduces the amount of time you have to use certain points.

But with 200 points, you could stay 6 nights in a standard GF studio at Christmas or New Years. Then if you have to cancel and you can’t reachedule, your points can be banked.

2 Likes

Yeah- I think the Visa incentive expired, which is a good thing. Because I have been teetering on buying VGF at that price point (wouldn’t buy enough points to get the straight points incetive, but would have gotten a Disney Visa to buy the points, so super attractive)

1 Like

I wish there was a reliable way to see what 7 month availability is like at different resorts. I know I shouldn’t make a long term decision based on this first year, but if we go next weekend and decide to buy, I’ll want to book a late Dec/early Jan trip. Would happily do a split stay. I assume as we inch closer to the 7 month mark those dates will fill up with people who have check in dates before Christmas. We would go after Christmas.

This is only updated 2x a day but it can give you an idea. Before 8am you would see availability but it would change later in the day as modifications take place.

https://tools.dvcvacations.com/points-calculator

I don’t know how updated these are kept, but I doubt it changes much.

https://www.dvchelp.com/page/how-do-the-charts-work

3 Likes

Those charts are constantly updated.

2 Likes

This is crazy, look at the avaiabilty of a 3bv at GC… a lot of ppl book a 3bv more than a DS :astonished:

1 Like

That’s in part because they are so few at that resort. And they aren’t very plentiful anywhere really, by comparison. So if you know you have a plan to take a big group you better get it while you can

2 Likes

That’s one of my top concerns! I just signed up this week, and when I look at potentially booking a studio exactly 7 months out, I don’t see any other than maybe a scattered one night at SSR. Do people have success with waitlists? I can tell there will be a learning curve to figuring out how to get the bookings you want.

Incidentally, my guide told me I should call to book my first time, not go online. I am hoping that means they find a place for a first booking, even if the online system doesn’t show it as available! A girl can hope. Haha

1 Like

Early December is very tough to book, sometimes even at 11 months. I am a CCV owner and early December is almost impossible even hitting the button at 8am. You have to be happy with your home resort and try waitlists.

2 Likes