DVC - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Was just coming here to say I just got an alert for 50 SSR points with Dec use-year for $123pp! At DVC Resale. But AKL is awesome too and usually similarly priced.

I know I want to add another small contract and I keep on going back and forth between AKL, SSR and OKW!

Another one! :scream:

1 Like

Now Iā€™ve got to go find that ha.
Iā€™m looking at a loaded 150 pt contract at AKL for 121pp. I had assumed weā€™d buy several small contracts but Iā€™m wondering if Iā€™m better off just buying everything we need up front.

1 Like

It is a tough choice! I think it would be easier and more straightforward to keep track and book longer trips if you have all points on one contract. But if you have multiple kids people like to give each one contract, etc. Plus the resale market is definitely stronger on the smaller contracts. 150 is probably a good middle ground. I wouldnā€™t suggest buying 200 or more points on one contract. I see SO many 300+ point contracts that are really hard to resell.

Where do you plan to stay? We bought 100 points at Saratoga because I wanted to try and stay at all resorts but do really enjoy Saratoga. But then I just bought a mini contract at Boardwalk because I NEED to stay there at least once every couple of years. If you must stay at different ones then go with the 3, 50 point contracts.

This is one of the things that I wish I had considered before purchasing. I guess I should start saving for 600 more points so I can divided things evenly between all 4 kids!

The other thing I wish I had considered is that we bought direct for the benefits, but for certain things (Moonlight Magic, for example) our 1 blue card doesnā€™t get the whole family in. We should have gotten 2 100 point contracts.

1 Like

We were always value stayers before our last trip to DVC at animal kingdom lodge and I can never go back. Weā€™ve been to ever hotel (we love looking at all the Christmas decorations) but really enjoy the animals at AKL and like the niche it offers but I also want to stay everywhere which is why I was looking at Saratoga.

Thanks for pointing out the small contract advantage, I had wondered if they always held strong like that. I had noticed that the LARGE contracts seem to sit for a long time. I only have 2 littles and so long term we could definitely purchase the other a 150 pt contract as well.

Our first DVC stay was in a 2-bedroom at Saratoga and talk about can never go back!

2 Likes

Ours was OKW 2br and dang that spoiled us. We are repeating the experience for NINE nights come June.

3 Likes

9 nights sounds like heaven! I pieced together rentals of 6 nights in AKL studios and it was amazing. We took a tour and looked at a 3 bedroom and oh it was so great! Now I need to look at the costs lol, the contract I sent my husband a case on buying today has 150 2019 points with a December use year so we would start out pretty stacked.

We made an offer on the 150 pt contract! Squeeeā€¦

1 Like

It sold today, full price. Ugh

1 Like

I am sorry you didnā€™t get it but there will be another!

I asked a question on a podcast once- if a full price offer comes in right away, that is it.

2 Likes

Thank you at least we are moving forward instead of just researching lol. I found another incredibley similar listing on DVC magic resales but Iā€™m not seeing a ton of reviews for that company.

I never heard of them, although that doesnā€™t mean there is anything wrong with that company.

Do you mean that they donā€™t even entertain offers after that? We just made a full price offer since that was a requirement which meant that I couldnā€™t even go OVER asking! I was a little surprised at that. Our first contract we did bid $5 below asking but it was a bigger contract.

Iā€™m sorry! I feel like I have seen a bunch come through the past few days. The cellphone alerts are huge for some of the well-priced contracts to jump on them. Plus dues statements just came on Friday so folks will be rethinking their ownership!

Yes, it was a dvc resale Welcome Home Podcast episode. I donā€™t know if it is if has to be the 1st offer or any full price offer BUT if the 1st offer is full price - that is it.

Yep, I read this somewhere! I made a full price offer on that DVC magic site and they never even responded to me but it is gone this morning. I will eventually find a contract that meets all of my requirements ha.

Where all do you look? I have the DVC Resale app and texts from DVC store. I am looking for a fully loaded contract with up to 160 points at AKL under $125 pp. I have seen and made offers on 2 this weekend but they are slipping through my fingers. I need to be quicker!